Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 05:12   #16

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV
Re: squat toilet on yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and get yourself a Squatty Potty. Apparently it's the rage now.
http://www.asseenontvandbeyond.com/S...46qRoCmejw_wcB
Love my squatty potty at home but it's a pretty lightweight poece of plastic and is not secured to the floor of course... if one wanted to implement the benefits of squatting to eliminate on your boat, I'd think it would be much safer to build a wooden/fiberglass shelf under/around the base of the toilet bowl (technically here, an "MSD") to prop your feet on.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:17   #17

Boat: no boat any more

decades ago in the 70ies blake hat a version: "eastern baby", try as I might nothing on the net though...
Old 04-06-2017, 06:01   #18

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

Just a thought,because this squat idea just seems bad to me. When I bought my boat,the marine head wasn't installed,still isn't, for that matter,but it came with an inexpensive porta potty. I'm a pretty " regular " guy, and use the head on land in the AM after breakfast. The porta potty is mainly used by the ladies when their aboard. Guys piss in a bottle,and pour it over the side. Occasionally, in the early AM I have an emergency situation, and I find a 5 gallon bucket with sea water in it a handy alternative. The porta potty's tank isn't very large,and the pour hole is about 3" in diameter, so it's, when at sea,a good idea to dump it,fill the tank with bleach,and a little sea water after each use. I'll admit it's a bit of a hassle, but what the hell,your at sea. Most things are.
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09   #19

I went to China for a few weeks 2 years ago. I can say, without any kind of doubt, in my wildest dreams...I would never consider a boat with a squat toilet! Those things are dangerous on dry land. Add in any kind of tummy issue and a rouge wake, and you are just asking for a mess.
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:17   #20

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and get yourself a Squatty Potty. Apparently it's the rage now.
Squatty Potty Ecco - The Original Bathroom Toilet Stool - 7 Inch - White - As Seen On Shark Tank
I have one at home and they work pretty well.
They also serve as a shelf for your newspapers while reading and awaiting "Nature".

taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:18   #21

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Year's ago i ran into a boat [sail] that had a toilet, which i thought was the sink, you could look down thru the drain pipe, which was maybe 2" dia., the level of the toilet was high enough, that heeled over it wasn't below the water line, had some kind of rinsing system, probably a salt water hand or foot pump to flush away any residuals, been to long ago to recall.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:41   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

My houseman and cabin boy both had the same response to this thread.
You can put a squat toilet on a BOAT, but a YACHT would never be equipped with one.
One must have standards, really. Even and especially in the less civilized places.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:49   #23

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I have a "sprayer" on my boat.
The jet of water serves as a bidet and also as a toilet cleaner.
Gets EVERYTHING clean.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I have traveled in Asia, and have seen many squat toilets on land, so I know how they work.

You say you stand on a toilet on another's boat. Was it moving? In a seaway (up and down in big waves)?

From your post above it seems you are saying you are expecting your guests to stand on the toilet (as you have) while the boat is heeled and pitching and rolling while sailing. Or to use the squat toilet (as they do on land) while the boat is sailing (and moving up and down).

Or do you intend your squat toilet to only be used while in a marina slip?

There are two problems I see:
1. Hitting the squat toilet hole while the boat is moving in 3 axis (roll, pitch, yaw) is going to be a challenge, and very likely a big mess.
Hope that helps.
Watch out if you are barefoot and happen to slip... I can just picture this... ahhh ****!
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 15:15   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Avenger View Post
I went to China for a few weeks 2 years ago. I can say, without any kind of doubt, in my wildest dreams...I would never consider a boat with a squat toilet! Those things are dangerous on dry land. Add in any kind of tummy issue and a rouge wake, and you are just asking for a mess.
With a tummy issue, your wake is more likely to be brown than rouge.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 17:35   #26

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Many years ago my 75yo mother came cruising with my daughter and I for a week. I had swapped the head for a porta-potti since we would be in semi-closed waters.
Should have restrained it better, for as we put out to open sea for the return run, mum was using it as we crested a large set rounding Barrenjoey Head. When I was finally able to abandon the helm for a minute I found her face down on the bathroom sole with the porta-potti debouching its contents from its upside-down position on top of her!
Uninjured, her sense of humour gradually returned, but that was her last voyage!
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 17:39   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
Many years ago my 75yo mother came cruising with my daughter and I for a week. I had swapped the head for a porta-potti since we would be in semi-closed waters.
Should have restrained it better, for as we put out to open sea for the return run, mum was using it as we crested a large set rounding Barrenjoey Head. When I was finally able to abandon the helm for a minute I found her face down on the bathroom sole with the porta-potti debouching its contents from its upside-down position on top of her!
Uninjured, her sense of humour gradually returned, but that was her last voyage!
I thought that technique was for Mother IN LAWS, not your own mum.

If your mum had a sense of humor about it, she would be a good sailor.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 19:49   #28

Boat: Spacesailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Avenger View Post
Not to mention that we may have evolved past throwing sh*t into the ocean.
No surprise I won't buy any seafood imported from Asia.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, yacht