Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 15:59   #1

squat toilet on yacht?

hi, thanks for all your answers on here really been amazing info so far.

so my base is in asia and we usually use squat toilets. i dont have many choices of boat and theres an empty steel hull available, i dont like seacocks much also.

im thinking it would be cheap and simple to build an asian style bathroom in the hull. ie standard asian squat/hole in the ground heads, with one outlet above the waterline. no inlet involved as u have a container of seawater that u pour in there or with tap n hose attached n just spray to flush. the water just goes in n flushes it through, as in asia on land we just throw a few bowls of water in a toilet there is no flush.

im no expert with thru hulls and would like to know if this could be a cheap/safe alternative especially if with a seacock and only one outlet on the boat above the waterline seacock could be closed in rough weather etc? would this need to go way above the waterline?

would be grateful to get more knowledgable peoples opinions on its possible shortcomings.... never seen a squat toilet/ bidet type thing on a boat, the toilet wouldbe level with a platform its on and so could all go down the hole even water that goes on floor.

thanks
vishnuleela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 16:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: squat toilet on yacht?

i had one similar on my yacht that you could sit on but easily modified....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1923527_16156990436_8161_n.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	149124  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 16:30   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Good luck squatting and hitting the hole when the boat is heeling and pitching with the waves.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 16:53   #4

oh thats a cool simple solution, is that the back of the boat? if i was alone i wouldve gone that route but this boat will have crowds on it a lot n esp girls are after some kind of privacy.
what do u mean good luck touching the bowl? i currently put my feet on ppls toilet seats on boats with no probs.

what i was after was any info regarding above waterline thru hull of this type? ive worked on a friends boat where we put air conditioning in n new thru hulls above waterline etc but thats connected to something... a squat toilet will just be like a hole on the end of a pipe. are there any problems could be lookin at?
Old 03-06-2017, 16:55   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good luck squatting and hitting the hole when the boat is heeling and pitching with the waves.
My immediate thought as well.

If you want to keep it dead simple, atoll’s idea works. Or if you want to go a few more steps, look at a composting toilet (commercial, or home made).
Old 03-06-2017, 17:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I didn't say "touching the bowl", I said "hitting the hole". Can you cr*p straight down when the boat is at 20° and bouncing around?

I've often seen the mess after people have squatted over western toilets.

This sign is specially for you.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 17:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuleela View Post
oh thats a cool simple solution, is that the back of the boat? if i was alone i wouldve gone that route but this boat will have crowds on it a lot n esp girls are after some kind of privacy.
what do u mean good luck touching the bowl? i currently put my feet on ppls toilet seats on boats with no probs.

what i was after was any info regarding above waterline thru hull of this type? ive worked on a friends boat where we put air conditioning in n new thru hulls above waterline etc but thats connected to something... a squat toilet will just be like a hole on the end of a pipe. are there any problems could be lookin at?
you will need some sort of pump and salt/fresh water flushing system that work at the same time.otherwise the system will (a) smell,(b) become clogged very quickly
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 17:02   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

What's the intended use of the boat?

Local sailing g I flat water? Weld a pipe to the hull and crap in it.

Offshore with the boat healed over and waves surging against the hull? The. You'll need a more robust solution
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 17:12   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I have traveled in Asia, and have seen many squat toilets on land, so I know how they work.

You say you stand on a toilet on another's boat. Was it moving? In a seaway (up and down in big waves)?

From your post above it seems you are saying you are expecting your guests to stand on the toilet (as you have) while the boat is heeled and pitching and rolling while sailing. Or to use the squat toilet (as they do on land) while the boat is sailing (and moving up and down).

Or do you intend your squat toilet to only be used while in a marina slip?

There are two problems I see:
1. Hitting the squat toilet hole while the boat is moving in 3 axis (roll, pitch, yaw) is going to be a challenge, and very likely a big mess.

There is a saying: "When at sea, seamen sit."

This simply means that it is SAFER and CLEANER to have a person (man or woman) SIT on a toilet while the boat is moving.

2. Safety is a priority when a boat is at sea.

IF the boat is moving (sailing, motoring, heeling, in seas) I suspect it is going to be more secure to be sitting on a toilet and to be holding onto a hand hold (a good idea in a head compartment) so there are two or three points of contact with the boat. I think the squat position would be more likely to see people (your guests) injured if a boat lurches (moves suddenly) due to waves. And more messy too.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 17:51   #10

yeah i manage to squat on western sailboat ones even when the boats gettin thrown around in storm, i been on some local boats with actual squatter toilets too but never thought of checkin the outlet system back then

yeah that part helps thanks theres options to sit on the ones u find in cheap fan apartments which look kids sized with one pipe comin out the back with the same flushin system of pouring a bowl of water down it... in normal seas could this be solved with 1 thru hull above waterline and a seacock to close it in rough sea? sea toilets are few n far between to buy cheap and i like the idea of havin just 1 hole above waterline and the only hole in the boat, basically i want to know about thru hulls above waterline but with open ends toilet sink etc and what can make them go wrong cos i googled but get wrong results

thanks for all the answers so many things i used to ponder alone n to get feedback is great
Old 03-06-2017, 18:24   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Vishnuleela,

In this particular divine play, Western guests, if any, will not be able to use your setup in a seaway. There would be huge resistance; however, not a problem if you only want to have squatters aboard.

You will need to be able to turn off the pipe, because when the boat is heeled to that side, the greater pressure will make the sea water back fill. So, you'll need at least one through hull. Depending on the size of the pipe, you will need a very large through hull. If you neck the opening down, outflow will be impeded. Your large pipe must exit off your stern. Some people may be offended, depending on where you travel. Whether or not the fear is rational, people don't like to see your poop, nor swim with it. Not having excrement stick to the outfall will be difficult to accomplish.

The plan is unlikely to increase the value of the boat.

Ann
Old 03-06-2017, 19:39   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Well sure, up front, at the head. That is where heads are supposed to be.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 20:23   #13

Boat: Albin Vega

Assuming you insist on squatting for the health benefits it provides: have you tried using a Western style toilet or sea toilet while sitting on the seat and leaning far forward (and elevating the feet if you feel it necessary)? This is what I do and I've found it's almost like using a squat toilet but less messy ie: not messy at all. Might be worth trying. A lot less complicated too.

I would think a proper squat toilet aboard a boat would get smelly very fast or need to be cleaned after each use underway.

Hope that helps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 20:54   #14

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

If you insist on that type.....Simpler than the squat type is a bucket that is rinsed overboard, with no hoses.
Maybe put a squatting board on top for your feet as you like, but must secure the bucket from moving to balance a person there. Skip the hose arrangement because it will always smell, even with that hose idea you wanted.
Also, look up ....how to build a Do it Yourself Composting toilet ( moisture absorbing ) from a large bucket; you can modify the top part to also put your feet on top. This type toilet will have no smell, no hoses and is more acceptable everywhere. Will not cost you much to build or to maintain. It uses fresh cut grass to absorb everything but not the liquid pee. Must urinate in a separate container for the fresh or dried grass, or wood chips or saw dust not to smell. Empty and change the grass inside every few weeks, you don't have to store a lot of grass and can compress it in small bags to store it. It works real well and maybe you can sell that idea or a toilet you design, to others!!.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 21:19   #15

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and get yourself a Squatty Potty. Apparently it's the rage now.
http://www.asseenontvandbeyond.com/S...46qRoCmejw_wcB
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, yacht