Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 20:28   #31

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Solo South Next Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman.ben View Post
hello
i'm sailing south next week and plan on going coastal doing day trips of no more than 75 miles a day. just going over my checklist.
sails: 2 mains, (one new, one about 5 years), storm jib, working jib, 135 genoa, (none older than 5 years)
rigging was checked this spring, have new halyards and sheets (kept the old ones just in case)
electronics: 2 vhf, 2 gps, depth and speed,32 mile radar, Wi-Fi hot spot, epirb and cell phone
safety: auto inflate pfd with harness and personal eprb (not the one on my mast) 4 fire ext (one engine "room" one galley, one head, one deck) first aide kit (was told what to get from a friend who is a nurse) flares, (4 off-shore rocket, 4 inshore 12ga, 4 handheld, 4 smoke, 1 orange flag 1 signal mirror) 12 ga semi auto shotgun,(20 buckshot,20 slugs,25 #7 steel 45 cal semi auto handgun, (50 fmj acp)
8ft inflateable dingy with 4hp (getting serviced now)
8'6'' Robert august longboard, scuba gear with 2 full tanks, spear gun, 2 tuna rods (one a 50wt one an 80) trolling rod (30wt) spinning rod.
30gallon fuel tank with 2 5 gallon portable
40 gallon water
3 burner propane stove, propane grill, 25lb propane tank
2 130 watt solar panels, (with battery monitors) 2200 watt gen, 80amp alternator, new batteries this spring.
I also have t.v, am/fm/cd radio, and enough books to start a library.
all my running lights work, and harness lines run from bow to stern with ones going to the mast as well.(all on deck, not my life lines)
I have charts from Nantucket to the keys, and the Bahamas (figure that's enough for now, if I go farther I will get more)
am I forgetting anything? if you can think of something I don't have and need, let me know. thanks.
All that time at the helm. Glad its not me. However, you didnt mention what sort of epirb. Make sure its a personal one and wear it. The boat doesn't need one. You do in case of an accidental splash!

As far as the guns are concerned. What do you plan shooting? Seagulls?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 23:03   #32

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
as far as the guns take them to a friends house or leave them at home.
they will be a rusty mess after a few months, and if you plan on going to the Bahamas im sure they will be more then happy taking them from you and locking you up for a nice ransom.
have fun, glad im not in this trip.
I am glad you are not on this trip to.

You are wrong on the facts. As long as you declare them there is no problem taking guns into the Bahamas. You do need to take care to account for all the ammo and have the same number of rounds going out as going in.

I am not saying it is or is not a good idea to have guns on a boat, just that you are wrong about the laws in the Bahamas.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 23:05   #33

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
SNIP

As far as the guns are concerned. What do you plan shooting? Seagulls?
I have a bb gun for seagulls. Keeps them from sheeting on my boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 05:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am glad you are not on this trip to.

You are wrong on the facts. As long as you declare them there is no problem taking guns into the Bahamas. You do need to take care to account for all the ammo and have the same number of rounds going out as going in.

I am not saying it is or is not a good idea to have guns on a boat, just that you are wrong about the laws in the Bahamas.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that. There is no problem taking guns to the Bahamas as long as they are declared and you can account for all the ammo. Mexico is a different story. Better check the laws of any other country you may decide to visit.

I do hope the guns you will be taking are stainless steel. If not, plan on oiling them and working the action every day or two. You'll still need to do the same maintenance with the stainless firearms only not as often. After only one week at the ocean my .45 had signs of rust and the slide had gotten really stiff. (Yes, It's back to normal now after working on it for 45 minutes or so.)
BudGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 06:06   #35

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

How about a spare propane tank? Running out of propane while cooking dinner 50 miles from the nearest propane dealer can be a bummer.

If it was me I'd melt down the guns and forge them into anchors lol.