Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 08:08   #1

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit
Solo South Next Week

hello
i'm sailing south next week and plan on going coastal doing day trips of no more than 75 miles a day. just going over my checklist.
sails: 2 mains, (one new, one about 5 years), storm jib, working jib, 135 genoa, (none older than 5 years)
rigging was checked this spring, have new halyards and sheets (kept the old ones just in case)
electronics: 2 vhf, 2 gps, depth and speed,32 mile radar, Wi-Fi hot spot, epirb and cell phone
safety: auto inflate pfd with harness and personal eprb (not the one on my mast) 4 fire ext (one engine "room" one galley, one head, one deck) first aide kit (was told what to get from a friend who is a nurse) flares, (4 off-shore rocket, 4 inshore 12ga, 4 handheld, 4 smoke, 1 orange flag 1 signal mirror) 12 ga semi auto shotgun,(20 buckshot,20 slugs,25 #7 steel 45 cal semi auto handgun, (50 fmj acp)
8ft inflateable dingy with 4hp (getting serviced now)
8'6'' Robert august longboard, scuba gear with 2 full tanks, spear gun, 2 tuna rods (one a 50wt one an 80) trolling rod (30wt) spinning rod.
30gallon fuel tank with 2 5 gallon portable
40 gallon water
3 burner propane stove, propane grill, 25lb propane tank
2 130 watt solar panels, (with battery monitors) 2200 watt gen, 80amp alternator, new batteries this spring.
I also have t.v, am/fm/cd radio, and enough books to start a library.
all my running lights work, and harness lines run from bow to stern with ones going to the mast as well.(all on deck, not my life lines)
I have charts from Nantucket to the keys, and the Bahamas (figure that's enough for now, if I go farther I will get more)
am I forgetting anything? if you can think of something I don't have and need, let me know. thanks.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 08:11   #2

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
re: Solo south next week

Fair winds and safe passage.
Old 25-09-2014, 08:25   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I didnt see autopilot on your list, do you have one? I may be spoiled but I sure would miss it if it werent there.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 08:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I would not solo without a autopilot and a backup. My current is a monitor and a electric tiller control. I can also sheet to tiller in a jam. You will thank us.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 08:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Of course you say no more than 75 a day, but I think if you make 50 for an average, that is awfully good.

Why so much ammo?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 08:54   #6

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Solo south next week

I second the autopilot question, and also question the daily mileage. How many hours a day do you expect to be underway? Headed south, you'll have the prevailing winds against you. If you sail 9 hours a day (a longish day coastal), 3 days out of 4 (weather), at 6 knots (probably optimistic), that's averaging 40 miles a day.

Also, is it that you don't drink?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 09:00   #7

Boat: Bristol 35

I didn't see food? foul weather gear- I know it's nice down here but on deck in the spray it can cool down quick especially before the suns up or after it goes down.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 09:07   #8

no auto pilot, I've looked into them, and while i'm sure they're very nice, the beckets I have work well for me, I can keep the boat on course under sail and when motoring, they won't fail,(and if they do, just replace) and I have been using them for years with no problems.
as for the ammo, it's what I have left over from last season (for the shotgun) and I just had a buddy give me the second box of 25 for the 45. while my friends think I should bring my a.r 15, I hope I am right in the idea that I really don't need the 12 or 45, but there are things that go bump in the night.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:11   #9

Boat: Island Packet 35

Not fare, I am looking at winter haul out soon, anyway, I would give some extra thought on your First Aid supplies. Open it up and review contents, try to imagine possible injuries and what you would require. One item frequently missing would be a splint, you can get the new ones that fold and shape to fit. Also ensure there is lots of surgical tape and bandages,Ointments, even small rope cut in workable lengths in case your down to one hand use.
I have a few items such as starter, alternator, belts water pump other engine necessities that are always on board, plus an extensive First Aid kit, Lots of rope and a good second anchor. Oh and a second supply of fresh water in case of contamination on the primary.

There are hundreds of things you can argue as necessary for Your trip, the list you have is well stocked, keep a pencil and pad at the ready to write down anything you come across, learned that from the wife!! Enjoy every second of your trip!!!!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 09:18   #10

will be getting food and drink the day before I leave, I have no problem with sailing for 10-15 hours a day, I have all the weather gear">foul weather gear for new England offshore commercial fishing (still warm when its blowing 35-40 with freezing spray) so that's not a problem, and I can always use my engine if i'm not making the time I want. I don't have a date I need to be anywhere (other than back up here for may) so if I only make 40 or 50 a day, so be it.
Old 25-09-2014, 10:13   #11

Boat: Bristol 35

I was wondering why so little ammo... I guess it's cuz I'm in the south
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:19   #12

Pick up a Waterway guide. At some point you may want to move into the ICW for a while.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:22   #13

80amp alternator

Do you have a spare? If no, do so. I was on a cruise in June and the brand new alternator had the insulation between the positive post and the case go bad. It can happen. I did have a backup alternator, but it was at home, did me NO good. It's now on the boat.

Do you have an external regulator for the alternator? If so, either get a backup or know how to bypass it.

Safe journey.

I agree, your estimates for daily distance are flogged. As you will be if you try to do 75 miles a day.

The reality is that thousands of cruisers who have gone before you must be wrong if you're right.

There was a dude here last year who started out like you did, ended up learning just what he had been told: he was wrong.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:32   #14

Boat: Island Packet 35

Thats funny, I was wondering why do you need so much AMMO at all, what Gulf are you heading too??
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:38   #15

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Boat US towing insurance,just in case !!!!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote