Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2008, 05:09   #16

Hi,thanks for the all the replies and suggestions. Seriously looking at a used IMOCA open 60. The challenge of choosing a used Open 60 is making sure they are still sea worthy after all the punishment they have been thru the first time around...not too keen on a canting keel. would rather keep it simple.

Can anyone comment on the ease or the demand for a used Open 60 yacht?
how easy would it be to sell it after I have completed my circumnavigation?
oceanbluesail09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 02:13   #17

How much do you pay for it? But i don´t think it´s easy at all, if you don´t get a very good price. If you have the money, you can always start a small company and use the boat for fast, fun smaller chartertrips. No problem to find people who want to work with that.

Have you done any oceancrossings?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 03:21   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57
oceanblue - I though about getting an IMOCA Open 60 and then retrofitting it in order to be more comfortable for a liveaboard as well. I haven't been on one before, but they are probably not the easiest boats to sail and overall I think I would be getting more "bang-per-buck" in a vessel designed for long term inhabitation. Then again, I plan on taking my time on the circumnavigation and don't need a superfast boat. I am not going past the Capes and intend on missing as much weather as possible as well.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 04:43   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
A couple of friends of mine sailed on one from Bermuda to England in one of those deals where you pay for the ride. They said that steering in fresh conditions could be exhausting. At times it took two helmsmen to handle the wheel.
Old 28-07-2008, 08:47   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Hud3 - that is kind of what I expected, a thoroughbred racing machine which rewards skilled helmsmanship with incredible speed but requires constant and carefull attention. No setting the windvane and going to sleep for those raceboats!
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 08:57   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Why are you set on such a big yacht for a single-handed attempt? The bigger the boat, the harder it is for one person to handle. I have come to the conclusion that about 35' LOA give or take a bit is as much as one person can comfortably handle.

Obviously, if you're trying to set a record you would need the extra waterline. For me, I shutter to think of handling a headsail on such a behemouth in a pounding seaway!

I think the average for solo circumnavigators is probably about 35' : http://www.joshuaslocumsocietyintl.o.../solotable.htm
Old 29-07-2008, 11:24   #22

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
Strange...

It seems that you are talking about different worlds here. A Hanse is something completely different from a Marten, let alone a Bavaria! The first I would not take because it is not been tested over a long period of time and I heard different stories about the quality, even from owners allthough I like them too. The second is my favorite but also expensive and I spoke to one owner (60ft) who was very upset about certain things and a Bavaria, I would not even take out on the med if I got money to spend with it!
About the size. Don't worry to much. I sail a 60 foot classic and all who have ever been onboard with us recon that it is an easy boat to sail and pounding in a big boat feels just half as bad as in a 30 ft, simple as that. And with that I am not saying you should buy a big yacht, just don't let anyone talk you out of it.
If I where you, buy a quality yacht, most likely more expensive but proven.
I would also buy something with some comfort, most likely no open 60. After all, you are most of the time on it and want some homefeel on it as well as some space you feel comfortable in.
If I where you I would buy a proven second hand boat with a track record, a boat from cruisers that has already been fitted for the occasion. That way you know what is good and what not, you get all the goodies at a bargain price and you can affort an even better boat to sail around with.

Good luck! And best regards, René
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 11:29   #23

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
If I were thinking of doing something like that, I would consider buying a 50-60 foot aluminum used boat, and then refit her. Lots of great ex racing boats out there that would serve the purpose. Get one with a really deep keel, replace the engine, sails, running and standing rigging, and the electronics. You are going to have to buy most of that stuff anyways with a new boat, why not get one that is built "Hell to stout".

Like this:
51' Palmer Johnson Alden 51'
  • Year: 1980
  • Current Price: US$ 279,000
  • Located In Holland, MI
  • Hull Material: Aluminum
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
  • YW# 1863-1918904
OR there is a used Sinek on YW as well, YW# 1984-1741817

Chris
+1 on Palmer Johnson.
seriously though, sneuman has a good point. 50-60 ft boat for one person is going to be very difficult to handle. I know people do it, but damn.... My boat is 41 foot, and even with my mast and sail area being smaller than most boats of this size, I don't think I would wanna go much bigger. Reefing in 40 knots on a 60 foot boat with 70 foot mast = scary and difficult. at least to me.
Old 29-07-2008, 12:54   #24

Steve Dashew's Sundeer

Another option is to look at Steve Dashew's Sundeer and Beowoulf designs which are aluminum or fiberglass performance boats built to circumnavigate the world.

They are safe, built to be handled easily by one or two people and they range from 54 to 72 ft. An Sundeer 60 would probably fit your needs. Steve introduced many design ideas that now other boat builders are incorporating. He has been searching and trying to design the "ultimate offshore sailboat" since I know of him.

Check this link:
SetSail.com: The Ultimate Sailing & Cruising Reference

Many blessings for your trip!
claudius2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 23:34   #25

The new Hanses of this size have full epoxy hulls, cored with foam below the water line and balsa above. The hulls are vacuum infused and immensely strong, with a galvanised steel frame to take the loads from the mast and chainplates. The company has invested siginificant amounts in one of the most advanced production boat builidng process around, and there's no doubt they produce a high quality producution boat. Epoxy is as good as it gets in GRP - remember the old Swan 62 was built in polyester only 2 or 3 years ago. Having gone over the Hanse 54 at the Sydney Boat Show a few months ago, I was very impressed. What I didnt like was the fact that there absolutely NO fiddles on any of the surfaces, anywhere. I made the comment then and now, this is an oversight, esp if you're making long passages. I guess however one can get anything made to order if you ask for it. Hanse boats have modern minimalist styling - which I'm personally not sure about liking a more traditional feel. The other boat of this size that's really purpose designed for a circumnavigation is the Hallberg Rassy 54. A centre cockpit has a number of safety advantages for the solo sailor and HR have perfected simple, bullet proof, push button sailing with all-electric winches. Their boats are mid displacement, superbly well built and beautifully finished in a traditional style. But they are somewhat more expensive than the Hanse, built in fewer numbers. As with all things nautical, you get what you pay for. Hope this helps. Rob
RobNicolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 16:34   #26

For me the Najad

Take a look at the new 505 and 570.

Or if you like the traditional style Malö 46
Old 01-03-2010, 00:11   #27

Solo circumnavigation

60'????....madness! You must read Chichesters book. Even with his experience he could not handle 54'. Why?.....

All the gear and the sails are far too big for one person to handle. 40' is a stretch. The best size is 34-40'. ...and about 8-10 tons max. And by far the best and most popular yacht for this purpose is still legendary S&S 34. The last three solo circumnavigations were done in these in this last decade...two of them by teenagers. They are easy to sail and safe, self steer with virtually no weather helm, do not get out of control and when it all gets too tough, (as it will...regularly) just drop all the sails and heave too and get some sleep. The best Olin Stevens design ever.

Chichesters Gipsy Moth IV was a real handful...a dog of a boat in fact. And he tells you why this boat was just far too big for one person. Great reading and realling helpful.

If you think circums are all about cruising, think again. Try 70knots of wind and 90' swells. You can count on at least three complete knockdowns and probaly a complete 360 in the southern ocean, and this ocean is 1/3 of your voyage...good luck! I did it and it scared the crap out of me and I've been sailing for 50 years at 50 south.
steve1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 00:46   #28

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbluesail09 View Post
Hi,thanks for the all the replies and suggestions. Seriously looking at a used IMOCA open 60. The challenge of choosing a used Open 60 is making sure they are still sea worthy after all the punishment they have been thru the first time around...not too keen on a canting keel. would rather keep it simple.

Can anyone comment on the ease or the demand for a used Open 60 yacht?
how easy would it be to sell it after I have completed my circumnavigation?
If you want to go fast - go for something obsolete:

1983 Bergstrom & Ridder Open 60 Sail New and Used Boats for

Then you'll only spend $100,000 on the boat not $600,000. Both will scare the sh*t out of you just the same.

Or get something that will be comfortable and managable. Get something that will be worth much the same as you paid for it when you get back.

1998 Alubat Cigale 16 M Sail New and Used Boats for Sale
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:56   #29

Me? For that trip? Round the rock in 220 days, probably a Sundeer 60ish type boat. They are designed for trade wind sailing and short handed crews. Tough enough to do the trip, cost effective and quick.

Maybe Nick on Jedi will add his $.02?

1997 Sundeer Sundeer 60 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:25   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post

Or get something that will be comfortable and managable. Get something that will be worth much the same as you paid for it when you get back.

1998 Alubat Cigale 16 M Sail New and Used Boats for Sale
That Alubat-Cigale would be high on my list.

Have a friend that did the Around Alone, and the Open 60 is for those with plenty of racing experience, need to go really fast, and comfort is not an issue.

Tags
circumnavigation