Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 17:57   #1

Boat: Cole Pawtucket 35
Saved by the bell, Pawtucket 35?!

Was just about to sign on the dotted line so to speak...

Almost ended up with a worn down unloved 80's IOR racer that required to be sailed back to Australia from Hawaii. Fell in love with it as it is my era of racing and she represented Australia in the Admirals cup, so deserved to be recycled and given a few more years of giving fun (but would have given many more years of financial pain as well).
2am, contract arrives in the email inbox, ready for me to sign and transfer deposit to US. Almost signed, perform yet another search online, this time on local Australian website. This has been a ritual for the last 1.5years and taken many more hours than my actual work is seems.
Anyway, last search revealed a classy looking cruiser that had nice sleek lines and an interior that actually had seats, galley and bunks, not to mention a private head. All the stuff I thought I would have to build/install myself!

This is a Cole designed Pawtucket 35, looks cared for and updated. Email sent, but got curious and impatient by midday, so call broker. Someone else is looking and checking her over and doing a sea-trial the following day, but no deposit or agreement yet so I jump on the chance after the broker still had not received a deposit from the other party for the old girl.
Now getting survey and flying up to inspect for myself.

Just shows, never to late to find your dream, just don't get bogged down on the dream details, racing, cruising, build your own or just potter on your boat. Dreams are fluid and can change, as long as the subject matter (sailing) stays the same!

All that said, if any of you have any input on these fine looking yachts, please let me know, good, bad or ugly, any information is very much appreciated.

Sail well, Ancor
ancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:23   #2

Boat: Lafitte 44
Re: Saved by the bell, Pawtucket 35?!

congrats!
Old 24-02-2014, 20:23   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Nice boat. They're a "kissing cousin" to our boat, a Nantucket Islander 33. Very similar interior layout - centre vs aft cockpit aside - and they share many design features including a similar hull form. I do like the look of the Pawtucket. It's much sleeker than our floating caravan although the wife just had to have "her" aft cabin when we went shopping!

We've had ours since November and aside from a couple of small facepalmable items from the design / build we've stumbled across since we're otherwise very happy with it.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 03:51   #4

I sailed on a Nantucket 43 in a Sydney Hobart a long time ago and liked the shape and lines. The Pawtucket caught my eye because I thought I was looking at the 43 at first!
Solid designs all round.
Old 25-02-2014, 04:09   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Very pretty boat, of course I'm a sucker for anything with tumblehome.

Did you buy "Just Cruisin" or a different boat?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 04:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Very pretty boat, of course I'm a sucker for anything with tumblehome.

Did you buy "Just Cruisin" or a different boat?
Not bought yet, but it is called Jus Cruisin or something like that. Only just got home from a quick trip up to Newcastle NSW to have a look at her.
Very nice boat in person as well and the layout is very well done. Still getting a survey though, I have had my own experiences before and will not make a decision to purchase any yacht without one!

She's going on a slip next and then a final sail trial in the coming days. Another flight up I believe.

All that said, she is in reasonable condition and looks more cared for over her almost 30 years then most yachts I have seen. Of course there are quiet a lot of little items to be done and fixed, but that should be expected.

Fingers crossed!

Has anyone here had any experience sailing on a Pawtucket? I would love to hear what you think.
Old 15-03-2014, 22:42   #7

Okay, an update...

Have had survey done, re-negotiated price and have the signed contract in front of me. I'm very happy the way this has gone so far. The broker is working out just fine, the owner is happy to get out of boating for now and we are happy to be taking delivery of such a sweet lady of the seas.
Smiles all round I believe! :-)
Old 15-03-2014, 22:59   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Congratulations.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 07:11   #9

Another update, signed, sealed and delivered (almost) a couple of weeks ago. She is an absolute beauty and will do just fine for our intended use. Very seaworthy and seakindly cruising.
Although called 'Jus Cruisin' at present, she will get a decent re-naming ceremony and shall be known as 'Bela Vida' (beautiful life in Portuguese) as soon as she gets to her home port of St. Kilda in a little while. Will be a good shakedown sail, with a bit of East Coast and Bass Straight for good measure.
More updates to come in time.

Cheers