Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 05:06   #16

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Sailboat with 6'8" Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard Dave! The only one that pops to mind is the old Columbia 50, though it's not long enough for you. Pretty nice boat though if you can find one in good shape! I believe it had over 6'-8" in the main salon.

COLUMBIA 50 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Good luck!
Don...what do you mean "old"? They are just getting into their prime...I should know. LOL. There are a couple nice ones for sale right now...one in Louisiana, and one on eBay that needs a complete interior, and finishing on the exterior(don't recommend). The for sale ones are listed on the very up to date website for C-50's at Columbia 50 Fleet Record & Owners' Network - Home.

The headroom in the main salon is ample, but further forward it gets to 6'3" or so...I have not put a tape measure to mine..I do love mine for the fact there is storage everywhere, and having one of the stick built, before they went to drop in interior liners, everything is easily accessible, and tons of room. heck, I can fit 4 people in my forward sail locker alone.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:12   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I guess I should say “mature” or “aged to perfection” !!
And how are the bunk lengths on the C50? I seem to recall they were extra long too. The sailors signing up for the Transpac must have been taller back then.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:55   #18

Boat: 44 footer

My boat had her cabin top replaced, with the cabin sides left alone. Boosted an extra 3-4 inches of headroom through out.

Something to think about if you are looking at older boats that have stick built interiors, particularly if they need a paint job on the deck. Basically split it at the corner of the cabin top, add what you need and either waste the existing radius or take a dart out along it to keep the lines fair.

In my boats case, the old top went in the dumpster, and a new cambered top went on in its place, so the height of the cabin at the radius edge remained about the same when viewed in side profile but the standing head room went up from the increase in camber.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard Dave! The only one that pops to mind is the old Columbia 50, though it's not long enough for you. Pretty nice boat though if you can find one in good shape! I believe it had over 6'-8" in the main salon.
Thanks for the info. Like I said earlier, I'm 6'8". My two sons, the youngest is 6'5" and oldest is 6'3" and my oldest sons wife is almost 6' as well. We are a tall family and need as much space (to get away from one another occasionally, which is why I want a 60'+ vessel, a little added privacy) and headroom as possible.
BigDave1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 15:30   #20

I’ve only been aboard the 43 which is also very roomy, but I am still curious about bunk lengths which will be a consideration for you too. A deeper heavier displacement (older) hull is probably going to be your best bet since there is more vertical room potential. The kids could have the bunks in the bow with lee cloths if needed, and the advantage to that kind of hull design is it has a nicer motion going upwind; while there will be pitching, it won’t be slamming the way a flatter hull can do, so a good night’s or off watch rest is possible up there. The only fly in the ointment to my mind is the engine down in the bilge.
Old 01-06-2018, 15:39   #21

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Save your money. You don't need a big boat to get big headroom. https://youtu.be/XxIbkk8Cy_8
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09   #22
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

A pilot house design and raise the roof.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
Save your money. You don't need a big boat to get big headroom. https://youtu.be/XxIbkk8Cy_8
Well, since I'm 55 years old now and played football for a few years, I don't think that video will help me much now. I'm 6'8" and 345lbs. My biceps alone are 23.5" so the weight training to make me shorter, apparently didn't work ! ! ! I have to work on keeping my posture as straight as possible because I suffer from a mild case of spinal stenosis (football related). I'll just stick to finding a vessel to fit me instead of trying to fit the vessel !
Old 04-06-2018, 09:38   #24

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Asking for a friend, heyyy, Big Dave? Gotcha....

My Amel Super Maramu has massive headroom. I'm 6'2, and opening the hatches in the deck require my arms pretty far over my head, so I'd say you got 7 feet in the galley and saloon easy. The bathrooms are equally tall. The forecabin probably a little smaller near the anchor locker but at the entrance same height. Aft cabin almost same height. The only issue is the walkway/sea berth cabin between the aft cabin and the saloon/galley.... that is thru two small oval doors maybe 5'5. I gotta stoop pretty hard. But then it opens right back up, a small price to pay. Plus they're hella seaworthy blue water cruisers, a LOT of bang for the buck. I think older Amels probably would be worth a look for headroom too, as well as of course the new ones.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Asking for a friend, heyyy, Big Dave? Gotcha....

My Amel Super Maramu has massive headroom. I'm 6'2, and opening the hatches in the deck require my arms pretty far over my head, so I'd say you got 7 feet in the galley and saloon easy. The bathrooms are equally tall. The forecabin probably a little smaller near the anchor locker but at the entrance same height. Aft cabin almost same height. The only issue is the walkway/sea berth cabin between the aft cabin and the saloon/galley.... that is thru two small oval doors maybe 5'5. I gotta stoop pretty hard. But then it opens right back up, a small price to pay. Plus they're hella seaworthy blue water cruisers, a LOT of bang for the buck. I think older Amels probably would be worth a look for headroom too, as well as of course the new ones.
There is a 1999 55' Amel Super Maramu for sale in France, but I've never sailed a Ketch before and I'm an amateur with a Sloop. When I do purchase my vessel, I plan on hiring an experienced captain for six months or so of my Pacific island hooping voyage !
Old 04-06-2018, 19:30   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I plan on hiring an experienced captain for six months or so of my Pacific island hooping voyage !
Hooping??? I thought you were a footy player...

Good luck with your search.

Jim
Old 05-06-2018, 12:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hooping??? I thought you were a footy player...

Good luck with your search.

Jim
Hopping, fingers got in a hurry. Need to proof read better !
Old 06-06-2018, 11:18   #28

Hmmm I’d say equally important for you is a big quarter berth or aft cabin double bunk with 7’ of room to stretch out on.
Old 06-06-2018, 13:11   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Big Dave, it sounds like you need a boat for giants! Have you considered a one-off? Check out the Bestevaer 49 thread. If you need over-length berths for everyone, building them in in the beginning would be the ideal way to go, and decks can be raised when at the drawing stage, to give you the necessary headroom.

It is the top of the line way to go, and it will be expen$ive.

Ann
Old 06-06-2018, 13:30   #30

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

At the other end of the budget, the Bavaria 49/50 has enormous headroom, and oversized bunks too.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headroom