Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 14:17   #1

Puzzled...

What a stunning yacht!
Seems for sale for a long time already... Any comments?

eugene presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:02   #2

Re: Puzzled...

Wooden boat. Lots of maintenance. Unique design which requires a unique buyer. But if it has been on the market a REALLY long time, then there is only one explanation: Asking too much.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 00:10   #3

thanks for your insight! regardless of asking price : you consider this an interesting boat? i mean : alan pape design, ketch rigged, iroko built in 1989, seems to have a high standard finishing (baby bakes toilets), lots of mahogany, looks like a very well maintained boat...

please share your reflections!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:31   #4

she's 72 feet LOA!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:40   #5
cruiser

You see "stunning," I see a dark, dated, maintenance nightmare in terrible shape. If you think it's such a great deal, then go for it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:06   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You see "stunning," I see a dark, dated, maintenance nightmare in terrible shape. If you think it's such a great deal, then go for it.
Not sure where you get the 'terrible shape' from....

1989 Alan Pape / Williams Boatyard Alan Pape 73' Ketch Sail Boat

My previous yacht was timber .... maintaining her was not really any different from maintaining my current boat.

Built in what I assume was a reputable yard my first question would be what timber was used in her construction...

Sadly you then get into the 'second hand Rolls Royce' scenario.... if you can afford to maintain a used one you can afford to buy a new one....

Therefore large yachts suffer... no matter what they are built out of... from quite heavy depreciation.

Before you even think of maintaining her the cost of simply keeping her would make most sailors' eyes water.

And also...

I find her rather 'high sided' and not all that attractive.... I think she needs a 'speed stripe'.....

EDIT.... I see she is Iroko so no probs there....
Old 08-09-2017, 03:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not sure where you get the 'terrible shape' from....

1989 Alan Pape / Williams Boatyard Alan Pape 73' Ketch Sail Boat

My previous yacht was timber .... maintaining her was not really any different from maintaining my current boat.

Built in what I assume was a reputable yard my first question would be what timber was used in her construction...

Sadly you then get into the 'second hand Rolls Royce' scenario.... if you can afford to maintain a used one you can afford to buy a new one....

Therefore large yachts suffer... no matter what they are built out of... from quite heavy depreciation.

Before you even think of maintaining her the cost of simply keeping her would make most sailors' eyes water.

And also...

I find her rather 'high sided' and not all that attractive.... I think she needs a 'speed stripe'.....

EDIT.... I see she is Iroko so no probs there....

Thanks! What do you mean by 'high sided'? And, secondly, what does a 'speed stripe' signifies? Sorry for asking!? I understood she came down in price substantially, last weeks...
Old 08-09-2017, 03:20   #8

Quote:
Would you be willing to point out where you see this 'terrible shape'?
Old 08-09-2017, 03:32   #9

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I have been keeping my eye on this yacht for some time now, not to purchase, as i already have 40 feet of mahagony and oak, and being in the tropical climate it takes all my free time to keep up with the wood.
Being a wooden boat builder and owner all my life, i would say the Allen Pape ketch is a quality built boat and a good deal at 225k or hopfully less. And hopefully the pictures reflect the present condition. Otherwise maybe not a good deal. Make sure you check her out from stem to stern. I agree with the previous post, she is a little high on the freeboard compared to other classic yachts, so maybe a little higher center of ballance.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:37   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene presley View Post
Would you be willing to point out where you see this 'terrible shape'?
Seems like you just want to argue. I don't like the boat and judging by the market, neither does anyone else. Simple as that.

Buy it if you think it's such a great deal.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:55   #11

Quote:
Seems like you just want to argue. I don't like the boat and judging by the market, neither does anyone else. Simple as that.

Buy it if you think it's such a great deal.
Not at all, I really like to know where you see this 'terrible shape' as I cannot see it, at first glance, neither at second glance. That's all! I have an impression these pictures don't do her justice, but it's hard to tell, of course...
Old 08-09-2017, 03:56   #12

Quote:
Thanks! What do you mean by 'high sided'? And, secondly, what does a 'speed stripe' signifies? Sorry for asking!? I understood she came down in price substantially, last weeks...
High sided? No different to most modern yachts.... a high freeboard in relation to her length... makes her look a bit tubby...

Sorted by putting a 'speed stripe' on her.... as seen here in this 'maintenance nightmare in terrible shape'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001_2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	155648  
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59   #13
cruiser

Go take a first-hand sniff and look at the boat, then get back to us.

Been there, done that, moved on, 'nuff said.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
I have been keeping my eye on this yacht for some time now, not to purchase, as i already have 40 feet of mahagony and oak, and being in the tropical climate it takes all my free time to keep up with the wood.
Being a wooden boat builder and owner all my life, i would say the Allen Pape ketch is a quality built boat and a good deal at 225k or hopfully less. And hopefully the pictures reflect the present condition. Otherwise maybe not a good deal. Make sure you check her out from stem to stern. I agree with the previous post, she is a little high on the freeboard compared to other classic yachts, so maybe a little higher center of ballance.
Thanks for your valuable insight and feedback! Yes, Alan Pape has a solid reputation! There is something 'classical' about her, I would not call it 'timeless' or 'spirit of tradition' but nevertheless... Do you consider a higher center of balance an issue? I just found out the motor only has 1000 hours, which is nothing for an 28 years old boat. The hull has been anti-fooled numerous times and the topsides need some attention, that's for sure. She has come down in price heavily. 5 years ago, asking price 590.000€! have wooden boats rocked their bottom now...? time will tell!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:07   #15

Quote:
..... I have an impression these pictures don't do her justice, but it's hard to tell, of course...
The high sided appearance could be down to the aspect of the only photo I have seen of her... taken from her port quarter.... 'Honey does my bum look big in this?' ... or even the focal length of the lens used....