Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 18:52   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

This will not work as there is not enough pressure in the line at the stove to fill a tank. It has to be tank to tank without a regulator in the line.

Fittings that are not compression type - like those in and out of the solenoid and regulator - need yellow teflon tape. Compression fittings are rarely used for propane in North America. Flare fittings are and teflon is not used on those.

Get a high pressure solenoid and make it the first in line after the tank. Regulators are not 100% reliable, especially if exposed at the stern and not in a locker.
I'm curious, why would a high pressure solenoid be more reliable than a regulator?
Old 24-02-2014, 19:02   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Propane system

Regulators can corrode over time, especially if exposed on a tank not in a locker. If the solenoid is after the regulator it will not shut off any leaks at the regulator. If the solenoid is first there is less risk. Any propane solenoid I have used or sold is much better quality than the regulators commonly used. Solenoids are pretty simple devices that close when power is not present.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 19:02   #18

Boat: hunter 376

solenoids and regulators have different functions. The solenoid is a valve controlled by a remote switch. It enables the user to shut off the gas at a bottle located inside a locker by activating a switch located inside the boat, commonly in the galley. As to the fitting classification, I referred to flared fittings as "compression" since the threaded portion compresses the flared surfaces tightly together for a seal. My understanding of bottle refills is that, if done incorrectly, can result in trapped air extinguishing the flame on, say a stove, then continuing to vent propane inside the boat, obviously a very dangerous situation. I buy my disposable cylinders at Costco where they are really inexpensive.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 19:18   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
As to the fitting classification, I referred to flared fittings as "compression" since the threaded portion compresses the flared surfaces tightly together for a seal. My understanding of bottle refills is that, if done incorrectly, can result in trapped air extinguishing the flame on, say a stove, then continuing to vent propane inside the boat, obviously a very dangerous situation. I buy my disposable cylinders at Costco where they are really inexpensive.
I have not filled a propane tank from another, nor have I ever used a small disposable tank. My point was that pressure is needed to fill a tank and the hose at the stove, being after the regulator, has very little pressure and it would not work.

If you ask for a compression fitting you will not be given a flare fitting. They are quite different. Compression fitting below.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compression.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	76709  
Old 24-02-2014, 19:30   #20

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

I have not filled a propane tank from another, nor have I ever used a small disposable tank. My point was that pressure is needed to fill a tank and the hose at the stove, being after the regulator, has very little pressure and it would not work.

If you ask for a compression fitting you will not be given a flare fitting. They are quite different. Compression fitting below.
It was explained to you why he grouped flare fittings with compression fittings. a flare fitting does use compression as a seal. and it was agreed that they're not the same thing
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 19:45   #21

I am going to be using propane on the schucker refit. I plan on using a sealed but vented to outside locker below decks but above water line. The supply line to the range and BBQ will be copper run inside a PVC conduit. Sealed at the outlet end open into the propane tank locker. The propane locker will be in a isolated and sealed area under deck . I plan on installing a gasoline fuel tank using the same principals as the propane locker in the same sealed under deck area. The gas will be for the dink engine. A electric fuel pump will dispense fuel above deck to dinghy tank. Any issues with the install NOT related to the downsides of using propane and gasoline on a cruising sailboat?
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 20:00   #22

Have you read the WM Advisor on propane systems? Or Calder's Boatowners Manual?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 20:02   #23

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
I am going to be using propane on the schucker refit. I plan on using a sealed but vented to outside locker below decks but above water line. The supply line to the range and BBQ will be copper run inside a PVC conduit. Sealed at the outlet end open into the propane tank locker. The propane locker will be in a isolated and sealed area under deck . I plan on installing a gasoline fuel tank using the same principals as the propane locker in the same sealed under deck area. The gas will be for the dink engine. A electric fuel pump will dispense fuel above deck to dinghy tank. Any issues with the install NOT related to the downsides of using propane and gasoline on a cruising sailboat?
I don't know how much fuel you're talking about storing. But if its 12 gallons or less I would suggest making the locker sized to hold 2 6 gallon gas tanks that you can just swap out and connect to your outboard
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 20:18   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The propane locker has to be just for propane, isolated from the gasoline storage area.
Old 24-02-2014, 20:29   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Copper lines are not a good idea. Copper work hardens with vibration and becomes brittle.
Old 24-02-2014, 20:33   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I believe in ABYC LPG standards. No catalytic heater on the market that I have seen meets those standards.

Safe Boat Propane Installations
Old 25-02-2014, 02:14   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Propane system

I use integrated on bottle manual valve regulators. Given the mechanical simplicity of regulators I've never seen one fail. I like to drop to low pressure ( in Europe thats 28-30 mb) as quick as I can

All gas fittings in Europe are either compression or on virgin install, soldered couplings. Flare is virtually never used

All my fittings use gas tape ( in fact I use gas tape on on water compression fittings ) I have a sensitive gas sniffer, never ever had a leak. Plumbed two houses, my plumbing has never leaked in 27 years. Most leaks on compression fittings are from over tightening.

Dave
Old 25-02-2014, 09:42   #28

teflon tape doesnt belong on Compression or flare fittings. They are metal to metal seals. Mounting the propane tank on the stern is perfectly acceptable and could be the safest of all installations. No way for any minute leak to build up quantity of gas. Almost always some breeze even if 1 mph blowing away from the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:58   #29

The propane locker has to be just for propane, isolated from the gasoline storage area

Just to clarify, I was planning on designated locker for propane and gasoline. No particular reason except it kind of made sense to me. Good to know about the code. To be extra protected my plan was to place both of the sealed vented to outside lockers in a area under the deck but isolated and sealed from rest of the boat.
Copper line for propane no good because of vibration hardening ?.
Not sure my boat vibrates much . Other than a rubber hose not sure what material to use. I wanted to avoid the long propane hose runs. Of course the last few feet connected would be hose for range movement. What's the best plan for getting propane to the range?.
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 13:15   #30

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I had a 20' run of soft copper tubing to my range on my old boat for over 30 years with no problem, but every authoritative reference I've read lately recommends hose for the entire run.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane