Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 13:39   #1

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Talking Prop Question

A little background before I get to the question. I have a Catalina 27 with a 9.9 Johnson hanked on the stern. Dern thing will barely back out of the slip on it's own. So what I've learned to do is give the boat a shove and then jump on board with the engine in gear and then hit the throttle about 3/4 of the way open and it backs pretty good once enertia kicks in and the prop thrust builds. Going into the slip hitting reverse to stop or slow the boat is an excercise in futility so I bring it in slow and jump off and take a wrap around a cleat on the dock from a toe rail cleat midships and the boat stops. I'd like to avoid all the shoving and jumping about when leaving and arriving at the slip as it causes a certain amount of amusement amongst the onlookers. Before I totally lose it and rush out and buy a 15 horse Honda; I'm wondering if using a higher thrust prop would be a cheaper way to solve my problem. The prop I'm using now is a stock prop that came with the engine. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck here in Ohio until March 12 and then I head for Oak Harbor, Wa and I want to do something about this when I get out there.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 18:47   #2

Boat: Adams 24 - Budgie Smuggler
Re: Prop question

i had a similar problem with my 24 ft yacht. i have a mariner 8hp/2 stroke. it had the standard prop on & would take forever to pick up speed..reverse or forward. performance once going had a lot to be desired too. i bought a solas 4 blade 10 inch diameter 5 inch pitch prop (high thrust) for this motor. it made a lot of difference to the pick up speed, i started moving almost instantly. but in my particular case the top speed of the boat did`nt change,it just got there quicker. the prop cost me $250 (expensive in australia) much cheaper in the U.S. in my case, because my top speed was not good in the first place, i wish i`d have put the prop money towards a 9.9hp motor. but in your case, if your cruising speed with your motor is satisfactuary, then a high thrust prop will make all the difference
BudgieSmuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 19:55   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

call Johnson (now Evinrude) and ask them about a sailboat prop for your motor.

Technical Questions
Call 1-847-689-7090

Evinrude » Contact Us
Old 28-02-2011, 06:59   #4

Okay guys. Thanks a lot. Talked to BRP Johnson and they do infact have a high thrust prop for my engine. I think the problem is solved. Only 12 more days to Oak Harbor!
Old 28-02-2011, 09:17   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
Okay guys. Thanks a lot. Talked to BRP Johnson and they do infact have a high thrust prop for my engine. I think the problem is solved. Only 12 more days to Oak Harbor!
Bring your warm weather gear">foul weather gear.
Old 28-02-2011, 11:17   #6

pirate Re: Prop question

Yeah, well Del, the grayest, rainiest(sic) chilliest day on Puget beats the sunniest warmest day in Ohio!