Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 13:23   #1

Boat: prairie cutter 32
pelagic autopilot

I Just received my pelagic autopilot but I have no clue how to install it and it does not come with a diagram .Any idea where coud I get a diagram that explain where are all those wire going ?
I have a prairie cutter 32 ,with tiller.
Thank You Pascal Valentin
pnvalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:03   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: pelagic autopilot

I believe there are manuals on the website. I should be getting ours this week unless it arrived this weekend and I don't know.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:03   #3

https://pelagicautopilot.com/pages/s...ctions-requred
Old 03-02-2019, 07:06   #4

http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...d-installation
Old 03-02-2019, 07:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

PM me your email. I have the manual and quick start guides as PDF.

OR ask for them directly from Pelagic.

I’ve installed mine recently and hope to do the compass calibration this afternoon. I’ll be driving an wind vane">Aries wind vane.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 15:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I believe there are manuals on the website. I should be getting ours this week unless it arrived this weekend and I don't know.
Thank.you but I was expecting a little bit more details from the web of Pelagic .Like how to attach the arm on the tiller ,where do the wire go if you want to put a switch on/of etc..
So far I just find the position where the arm is going to be and install the Box send by the Pelagic with the Auto /standby.and find out where I was going to put the plug .In case you want to store the arm.I ll will keep you inform of the progress.
Old 03-02-2019, 15:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
PM me your email. I have the manual and quick start guides as PDF.

OR ask for them directly from Pelagic.

I’ve installed mine recently and hope to do the compass calibration this afternoon. I’ll be driving an Aries wind vane.
is it the diagram on pelagic web that you have the PDF file ?
Old 03-02-2019, 16:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnvalen View Post
is it the diagram on pelagic web that you have the PDF file ?
One file is 100 pages long. The other is an excerpt that’s about 30 pages long. Lots of pictures and PowerPoint type explanations.

I think Pelagic is just some sailor who is making this product in his home.

It looks to be quality gear, with adequate but not professional manuals.

Raymarine provides very nice manuals, I have 3 RM 2000 APs and bought a Pelagic to get something that would work more than a week.
Old 03-02-2019, 16:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Did you go here?

https://pelagicautopilot.com/products/manual-test
Old 03-02-2019, 16:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnvalen View Post
Thank.you but I was expecting a little bit more details from the web of Pelagic .Like how to attach the arm on the tiller ,where do the wire go if you want to put a switch on/of etc..
So far I just find the position where the arm is going to be and install the Box send by the Pelagic with the Auto /standby.and find out where I was going to put the plug .In case you want to store the arm.I ll will keep you inform of the progress.

How to attach arm to tiller:
So RM comes with a pin that sticks up and fits onto a socket at the end of the actuator rod. Pelagic has a cap on the end of the rod. The cap accepts a screw (#12 IIRC). I would just use a bit of aluminum angle, screw it to the rod and drill a hole in it. Then fix a corresponding pin on the tiller. You really need to fit this to your tiller setup, there is no one size fits all solution. You could drill a hole through your tiller and put in a bolt, or you could put a bolt in the angle and fit it into a hole in the tiller. What ever you do it has to be sturdy. It will have the full power of the tiller on it.

Same with mounting the actuator to the boat. RM has a pin and provides a brass socket. You drill a hole and fit the socket. Since I’m replacing RM units and the geometry is almost identical I simply inserted the pin into my existing socket. You could buy the socket from RM (and the tiller pin) or buy a piece of brass stock.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=84&step=2

On/off switch
Just in the 12vdc feed to the unit. Run it through your electrical panel or add a special switch.

If you feel you need more mounting info google the RM tiller pilot manual, that might give you some ideas.

On my small boat the actuator rod is mounted to a bracket I’ve bolted to the aft railing. On the big boat, the Actuator is pushing an Aries windvane, there I welded a bracket to my arch and affixed a piece of mahogany to fit the actuator onto. The actuator literaly hangs over the water. And I made a custom bracket to fit the Aries. No instructions, I just tinker.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:05   #11

Quote:
How to attach arm to tiller:
So RM comes with a pin that sticks up and fits onto a socket at the end of the actuator rod. Pelagic has a cap on the end of the rod. The cap accepts a screw (#12 IIRC). I would just use a bit of aluminum angle, screw it to the rod and drill a hole in it. Then fix a corresponding pin on the tiller. You really need to fit this to your tiller setup, there is no one size fits all solution. You could drill a hole through your tiller and put in a bolt, or you could put a bolt in the angle and fit it into a hole in the tiller. What ever you do it has to be sturdy. It will have the full power of the tiller on it.
Same with mounting the actuator to the boat. RM has a pin and provides a brass socket. You drill a hole and fit the socket. Since I’m replacing RM units and the geometry is almost identical I simply inserted the pin into my existing socket. You could buy the socket from RM (and the tiller pin) or buy a piece of brass stock.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=84&step=2

On/off switch
Just in the 12vdc feed to the unit. Run it through your electrical panel or add a special switch.

If you feel you need more mounting info google the RM tiller pilot manual, that might give you some ideas.

On my small boat the actuator rod is mounted to a bracket I’ve bolted to the aft railing. On the big boat, the Actuator is pushing an Aries windvane, there I welded a bracket to my arch and affixed a piece of mahogany to fit the actuator onto. The actuator literaly hangs over the water. And I made a custom bracket to fit the Aries. No instructions, I just tinker.
Thank you for all the information.I will now check them out and hook it up
Old 28-12-2019, 13:06   #12

Boat: 31ft tank

Is there any mention of how far away from magnetic sources the control head has to be? I guess common sense would suggest some space, but if it's magnetically shielded I could install it near to my cockpit speakers??
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 14:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Speakers? As far as possible!

I shared a photo of my installation with Pealigic. I have the control head mounted on a steel gallows over the dodger. They said that the installation was OK.

But that’s a far cry from being near speakers, especially good ones.
Old 28-12-2019, 14:47   #14

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Speakers? As far as possible!

I shared a photo of my installation with Pealigic. I have the control head mounted on a steel gallows over the dodger. They said that the installation was OK.

But that’s a far cry from being near speakers, especially good ones.
Yes, I have some 8.8 inch JL audio speakers on my cockpit bulkhead on my 31 ft boat. They take us a bit of real estate.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot