Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 18:19   #16

i am jazzed - you're the first pacific pelagic sailboater i've found. send me an email and we can continue our visit

linda colebank@comcast.net

this is my first time on one of these forums so i don't quite know how they work.
lcolebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 16:00   #17

Boat: B24
<Ferenc Mate's book "From a Bare Hull" was supposed to have a Pacific 30 in it...>

My early copy has the Pacific 30 on page 84 as you speculated… Looks like it could be a gentle riding slack-bilged hull of reminiscent of the old school, absent that skegless rudder… notwithstanding some apparent shortcuts in ship-building, if his listing is correct the ballast ratio exceeds 42-43%, Hmmmm…

I’m a firm believer in less is more… went the gadget, thingamabob and techno-gismo route 15-20 years ago, but after a sizeable hiatus, this past year stumbled onto an easy riding smallish boat -- of questionable lineage, but what the heck – even after we scrounged up a hard dinghy to get back and forth to its mooring, we still had less than four figures in the boat… and yep, after a month or so of scrubbing, tightening things up and getting reacquainted with a seaming palm again, it was entirely sailable – if not quite ready for rounding the Horn…

Good luck with your project…
Old 11-01-2011, 22:50   #18

Thumbs up

I too got a great deal on a Pacific 30, hull #2. The vessel has a kubota 23 HP engine (Hursrt 50 2:1) which is more than enough for this hull. I traded up from a Haida 26, another vessel also designed by Ray Richards. I absolutely loved the Haida (#7), but the family needed headroom and a quarterbirth.

The internet is pretty sparse on any information regarding the vessel. Fortunately there are 3 other Pacific owners at the club who are generous with info. Anyone find a good website, or source of drawings for this vessel?

So far I am delighted with the vessel. I'm attracted to older classic "things' (cars, houses, furniture and boats) so the lines are right in line with my tastes. The boat sails far better than I had expected and at least as well as the Haida. This Pacific is very plain below decks,which facilitates a slighter displacement of approximately 8300 lbs. The boat is still heavy enough for a stable ride in a bit of a blow.

I do agree with one response in that the chainplates appear somewhat underbuilt relative to the rest of the boat. The plates on this vessel are easily accessable and would be easy to beef up or replace.
korflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 19:04   #19

Re: 'Pacific 30' - Anyone Heard About them ?

I also have a Pacific 30 that I am currently refitting. My boat is built in 69 and has a deck stepped mast with an engine well for an outboard.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to chat with you a little bit about your boat and perhaps exchange information.
Jeremiah_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 19:07   #20

An engine well you say...that's great. My previous Haida 26 had that arrangement and it is much preferred (at least by me). I have seen a similar engine well scenario on a Pacific 30 at the Oak Bay marina in Victoria, B.C.

Can you lift the leg from the water while under sail?..............
I look forward to exchanging info.

Mike
Old 01-03-2011, 20:09   #21

No, the transom is solid and although you can turn the motor so it's in sync with the rudder, you can't raise it. I've been thinking about how I would set it up to lift vertically, but that'll wait until later in the refit.
Jeremiah_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 17:11   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by korflex View Post
I too got a great deal on a Pacific 30, hull #2. The vessel has a kubota 23 HP engine (Hursrt 50 2:1) which is more than enough for this hull. I traded up from a Haida 26, another vessel also designed by Ray Richards. I absolutely loved the Haida (#7), but the family needed headroom and a quarterbirth.

The internet is pretty sparse on any information regarding the vessel. Fortunately there are 3 other Pacific owners at the club who are generous with info. Anyone find a good website, or source of drawings for this vessel?

So far I am delighted with the vessel. I'm attracted to older classic "things' (cars, houses, furniture and boats) so the lines are right in line with my tastes. The boat sails far better than I had expected and at least as well as the Haida. This Pacific is very plain below decks,which facilitates a slighter displacement of approximately 8300 lbs. The boat is still heavy enough for a stable ride in a bit of a blow.

I do agree with one response in that the chainplates appear somewhat underbuilt relative to the rest of the boat. The plates on this vessel are easily accessable and would be easy to beef up or replace.
Watch out for those Hurth 50 trannys. They are only rated 17 hp for continuous running . A lot of my clients had them crap out in the first 60 hours. No warrantee from Detroit Diesel Allison ( suppliers of BC Fast ferry diesels).
Keep your eye out for a deal on a 100 ,or better still a 150.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 17:00   #23

Thanks for the advice Brent,

Just managed to pick up an older model number HBW5, ( not a HBW50)which apparently, according to a Hurthwebsite, is comparable to a newer model HBW100, now a ZF10. This $400 trans has just been rebuilt and came in the rebuilders box. It's the same dimensionally as the present trans, so should be straightforward to replace. It's not a 55 chevy, so it appears that the bell housing has to come out to remove the trans; more effort than it should be. Any tips?

Mike Kory
Old 25-11-2019, 14:23   #24

Very old thread, but worth a try. I've just bought a Pacific 30 as well. Mine is the dinette to port settee to stbd rear galley lay out. Mine also has the farrymann diesel.
Mattinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote