Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2018, 09:23   #46

Re: Osmosis treatment with homemade hotvac

Thank you for your very quick answer and the information will help me.

Just one thing: i did not ask for the mats for nothing or for free and just because you suffered building yours does not mean everyone has to!
I asked if someone would SELL theirs and yes, i asked to save myself some work as i have enough to do with drying and repairing the hull (as you surely know) and i do not think that it is a bad thing to do especially if someone has a mat which he doesnt need anymore.
You seem a bit bitter about my question which is really neither my fault nor my problem because i think you have simply read it wrong or you are in bad mood.
If someone paid €400 for the mat and can now sell it for half of that to me it helps both of us as we both saved some money. Win-win.

I have everything else build already including the thermostat. So all i need is one or two mats.

So thank you for your help but if you don’t mind i will now wait and hope for someone who wants to sell and if noone wants to i can still build it myself or buy from Hawco.

All the best, Max.
maxpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 12:26   #47

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpics View Post
Thank you for your very quick answer and the information will help me.

Just one thing: i did not ask for the mats for nothing or for free and just because you suffered building yours does not mean everyone has to!
I asked if someone would SELL theirs and yes, i asked to save myself some work as i have enough to do with drying and repairing the hull (as you surely know) and i do not think that it is a bad thing to do especially if someone has a mat which he doesnt need anymore.
You seem a bit bitter about my question which is really neither my fault nor my problem because i think you have simply read it wrong or you are in bad mood.
If someone paid €400 for the mat and can now sell it for half of that to me it helps both of us as we both saved some money. Win-win.

I have everything else build already including the thermostat. So all i need is one or two mats.

So thank you for your help but if you don’t mind i will now wait and hope for someone who wants to sell and if noone wants to i can still build it myself or buy from Hawco.

All the best, Max.
I never said you did, read what i wrote - i said i've had a person emailing me asking them for nothing.

FWIW your best bet if you're skint is the floor cable method but they take long to reach max temperature and will only go to about 55 - 60C.

Mads had a quote from a firm in Denmark where hes based of nearly a $1000, hence he went with the company i used. I'd be surprised if anyone will sell you their purpose-made mats on grounds of cost.

In the 8 years since i've built my system i know of Volker and two others over on boatdesign.net who've done similar.
Old 25-11-2018, 13:58   #48

Thank you Roger. Maybe we misunderstood each other. I am already in contact with Hawco and got a quote but 2 panels are about €900.
I guess i have to pay that. Still cheaper than renting the original hotvac which is €1300 a week. Interesting enough the owner of the wharf where my boat is is intersted in buying the mats off me once i am done so i might get some of my investment back and i will definately not dry another boat ever again. I will be happy when my Nauticat38 is back in the water again in April or May next year.

Thank you for your help.

Regards, Max.
maxpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osmosis