Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 05:24   #1

Observation

Can someone tell me why I see sail boats docked going in and power boats backed in?
booboo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:31   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Observation

Most sailboats are easier to maneuver ahead, twin screw powerboats are easier astern.

That and unless I'm up to some sort of a project I don't want my lounge area on the dock
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:52   #3

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo2 View Post
Can someone tell me why I see sail boats docked going in and power boats backed in?

Don't know about your boat but on my boat I'm lucky just to get the damn thing in the slip. Backing? In reverse that gal will only go where SHE wants to go, never where the skipper wants.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:01   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

My boat only wants to go to the port when backing up and is very difficult to convince it otherwise. Never mind if there is any sort of wind then just forget it. Pulling straight in is MUCH easier.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

You'll find different patterns wherever you go. Some of it is just local practice; the new folks do whatever the existing boats did. Often there's a good reason, like being able to board on the swim platform, or wanting the cockpit to face out. Other times it's a requirement, like shallow water farther in. How hard it is to maneuver in vs. out plays a role. Slips with partial fingers, or no fingers, almost always work better stern-in.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Observation

Differences in decks and free board make a bow in MB somewhat difficult to get off.. stern to one just steps off.
On a sailboat it don't really matter.. also many sail boaters are loath to reverse.. one engine, wind-age high up, lousy maneuvering abilities in some types..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:46   #7

Boat: Catalina 310

This response won't make me popular but mainly laziness. Most fellow sailboaters that see me back into my slip come up and ask me how I can do that so easily. When I tell them I practice, they become disinterested. There is no real magic trick [other than typically they are not giving it enough throttle]. Go find an empty mooring and practice backing up to it. Learn how to back your boat up and how it handles.

The legit reason I have heard is privacy. If you are bow in then your cockpit is to the water and people can't see down the companionway. I get that some times but it's not really a factor to me due to the setup at my dock but it is something we consider at transient locations. Usually the ease of getting on and off the boat with the walk through transom outweighs most of the other thoughts and we end up stern in.

It's also a skill that served me well when on a charter in the BVIs and the transmission broke. It wouldn't go into forward but would go into reverse. I simply reversed us into a morning when we couldn't sail into it due to low wind in the lee of Marina Cay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	summer on smitty jamestown 2011.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	80766  
Old 08-05-2014, 10:48   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Power is also an issue. 99% of sailboats cannot back against the current so it ends up far easier pulling into a slip verses backing in (which may actually be impossible to do.)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:17   #9

Around here I see a whole lot of sailboats that are backed in. Maybe it's a local thing.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Don't forget about trying to back in after happy hour. Especially prefer pulling straight in at those times
Old 08-05-2014, 12:11   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
This response won't make me popular but mainly laziness. Most fellow sailboaters that see me back into my slip come up and ask me how I can do that so easily. When I tell them I practice, they become disinterested. There is no real magic trick [other than typically they are not giving it enough throttle]. .
I'll concur with this about 75% I can drive most fin keel boat astern through a fairway and park them astern with my eyes closed...gain a little way astern, then back off the throttle and they'll do exactally as you wish. But throw in a boat such as mine, and all bets are off. I can back out the fairway with my full keel, not gracefully but doable. Make a turn into the slip.....not going to happen gracefully or at all with a beam wind or a current.....but I'll try a few times if I really want the stern in.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote