Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2015, 10:30   #1

Boat: shopping
Newer boat vs older in same price range

I'm making my first post and I'm really nervous about asking a stupid question. I have been doing my home work, and feel I'm really sold on Island Packet in the high 30's to mid 40 foot range or a much older Hinckley Bermuda MkIII around the same length. Prices are really very close. Is the upgrade in original manufacturing offset by the modern build of a boat built in 2005 vs. one built 1987-89. Both boats seem to fill the needs I have for a live aboard, and blue water capability. My curiosity lies in the difference in build quality that has developed over the two decade difference in the boats.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 10:36   #2

Re: newer boat vs older in same price range

I guess this is really more of a question for yourself. Others can give opinions, of course, but does one of those boats make your heart beat faster?

Although it's a general question, it's really should be a comparison of two specific boats.

Assuming they're both well-maintained, I'd expect that either boat will get you there, so which one do you wish to arrive on?
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:00   #3
JMK

Boat: Vancouver 28

Something to consider when making the decision between a newer vs. older boat is what do you have to do to make the older boat new again. Is the electrical system in good shape? Is the engine in need of a major overhaul or even repowering? Is the plumbing system okay or do hoses and pumps need replacing/renewing? How about standing rigging, running rigging, sails? Are the electronics too old?

These are things I look at now in light of buying decisions I have made in the past. I agree that how you feel about a boat is important, but it can sometimes cloud the more rationale side of the decision making process. In the end, like so often when it comes to boats, it's whatever ends up working for you. You may love bringing a slightly older thoroughbred up to date, or you may decide that you'd rather spend the time sailing vs. upgrading. No right or wrong answer there. Good luck with your choice.

J.M.
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:03   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Its not s stupid question at all. It is asked often here and people responding have diametrically opposed views.

I believe salt water is the most toxic fluid to leave any thing in, or on. If it were a car left on a sea side road for 10 years, or one on icy roads where they may salt, what would the condition be after 10 years?
Now think of 20 years.
Yes, some people will say old cars are better, but what sort of age do you buy the cars you drive?

I think the more modern boat is going to be much better. And a boat after 20 years in salt is in need of a complete refit, no matter how powerful one thinks the Brand of the boat.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:06   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

With out a lot more details it is a difficult question. However if they are about the same size and same price, IMHO I would buy the 2005 Island Packet. IP is a great very solid built boat. High quality on most everything. So getting a newer quality boat would be my choice. Probably better rigging, better engine, newer sails and less wear and tear.

However some older boats that have been well cared for and had excellent maintenance would be as good. In general though newer is better when comparing quality built boats.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:11   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedog11 View Post
My curiosity lies in the difference in build quality that has developed over the two decade difference in the boats.
Depends. IP's are built like tanks (also sail like one ) but so are some older boats. My little one is a little over 40 yrs old, but also built very strong and stiff so no problem taking her back to sea & ocean. She's a forgiving boat, and pretty fast to boot.
Some modern, recent boats I wouldn't choose for blue water cruising - but many have circumnavigated without issue.

I personally am not a IP fan, but that is useless information cos it is just that: a personal preference. I really like older Wauquiez boats; built to last and reasonably fast and comfortable sailers (tho the Hood 38 does heel easily. The living space it offers can't be beat tho).

How the two boats you're looking at compare is hard to say without knowing a lot more about the boats involved.
Old 28-12-2015, 11:17   #7

I have got to side with Mark on this one, setting aside who built it in the first place. 20 years is about the lifespan of many of the major components if the boat is operated in the tropics. If it's a freshwater boat used 10 weekends a year and it sits on the hard 7 months of the year then that's another story. Buying a newer boat makes a lot of sense unless the used boat you are looking at was a high quality built boat that has been refitted..then it might be a good choice as well however these types of boats are very scarce in the market. Remember rigging and sails have about a 10 year lifespan and that's just the start of the check writing game. Good luck in your search.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:35   #8

The newer boat will be "bigger". Not only in interior space, but a longer waterline and faster on long sails.
An old school design 38 is a smaller boat than a newer design really.

Bolt on items go bad at maybe 8 years or so. So any boat over 8-10 years old will need items replaced. Rigging at 10-15 years. This usually has nothing to do with the original builder or quality of the boat either. So unless the older boat has been fully rebuilt… think about that. Rudders often fill with water in that same or less time frame.

Hinckley: 11.75 beam, 28.8 waterline.

IP 38: 12.67 beam, 33 waterline

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:42   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedog11 View Post
Both boats seem to fill the needs I have for a live aboard, and blue water capability.
I bet that Island Packet is a much more live aboard friendly boat. The only reason really one would chose the Hinckley is if they are in love with the "classic" type of boat and is willing to give up the space etc. to get it.

Get the newer boat!
Old 28-12-2015, 11:50   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Both are well built boats, the Hinckley maybe a bit more top end in it's fit and finish but more conservative in design and of a different generation than the IP.
Both are fine boats, it just depends on what you want.
As for age I agree with the previous posts about age and lifespan of the parts on the boats. It all depends on how well either boat was maintained and how recently the important parts were upgraded or replaced.
Most of the Hinckleys I've seen were usually well maintained and continually upgraded but I've also seen a few that were not.
It all depends on the condition and upkeep of either boat, if the owners claim system/rigging upgrades, make sure to ask for proof.
It all depends on what tickles your fancy, but don't let your emotions run away, after all it's a boat, and any used boat will require some repair/upgrading, just make sure to factor in the post sale upgrade costs of any used boat you buy when making the decision, it can often add up to 30% over the cost of buying the boat.
Depends on what you can do yourself.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:56   #11

If a Hinckley is in that price range, it should have been updated and everything should be in good operational order. The listing itself should speak to recent updates.
Old 28-12-2015, 12:04   #12

Boat: shopping

I guess this would be a more of all things being equal as far as fittings, sails, and durables being in the same order of fit and finish. Does a late 80's Hinckley in similar shape have any inherent advantages over a much more modern IP. The price differential new is astronomical. A newer Hinckley 2014, 42 sou'wester a 1.1 million vs a brand new 2016 IP 485 for 880K.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 12:10   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

As in anything advertised for sale, what is claimed is not always what you get. I always ask for receipts and names of contractors/yards who did the work, so I can call and verify the story.
One boat that had "all new rigging" actually only had the lower shrouds done to look good at deck level. On the second look at the boat, when I insisted that the whole rig be inspected by getting me up the mast (I brought my own gear) instead of trying to look at it from the deck the owner changed his story.
That's just one of many little white lies I've come across over the years. Doesn't matter how well respected the brand is, or what the price is, it's always best to verify the claims made by the seller.
Rebuilt engine? Really? By whom? Etc, etc.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 12:27   #14

Boat: Creekmore 36

I agree with most of what has been said. My Creekmore 36 is 53 years old and I dearly love it. The IP will be a great liveaboard cruising boat but if you're like me, you'll spend the rest of your days looking at ads for a Hinckley.
That's the cats meow!
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 12:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
As in anything advertised for sale, what is claimed is not always what you get. I always ask for receipts and names of contractors/yards who did the work, so I can call and verify the story.

Good point. Trust, but verify.

Tags
price