Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 03:22   #1

Newbies Pirates Wannabe

Hi all

I was wandering, wich is the minimum measure for a double deck tall ship?
Is it possible according to you to stay within the 46 ft (14 meters)? (italian taxation...)

I really would like to have a double deck on the stern part of the boat, then walking out on the main bridge as ordinary boat...

Like an ordinary sailboat but with a fixed closed room on the stern of the boat, the pass-throught to mooring would be at the level before, to moore as the modern marina with the fore part.

Boat used as live aboard with "downstairs" only sleepping room, and a enclosed kitchen and table on the top.

Hope my english will get understood

P.s. i'm aware of the wind lateral exposed area that will make the boat turn very easly and the reduced sailing performance in the 30*- about 120* degree from wind direction...while faster downwind
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 03:38   #2

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Newbies Pirates Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post

Hi all

I was wandering, wich is the minimum measure for a double deck tall ship?
Is it possible according to you to stay within the 46 ft (14 meters)? (italian taxation...)

I really would like to have a double deck on the stern part of the boat, then walking out on the main bridge as ordinary boat...

Like an ordinary sailboat but with a fixed closed room on the stern of the boat, the pass-throught to mooring would be at the level before, to moore as the modern marina with the fore part.

Boat used as live aboard with "downstairs" only sleepping room, and a enclosed kitchen and table on the top.

Hope my english will get understood

P.s. i'm aware of the wind lateral exposed area that will make the boat turn very easly and the reduced sailing performance in the 30*- about 120* degree from wind direction...while faster downwind
Piacere,

Penso que non e possibile in questa lunghezza. Sarebbe troppo pesante, troppo alto. Ci sarebbe un rischio di capovolgersi. Penso si avere bisogno una barca molto piu grande per questo concetto (probabilamente tra barche a vela, perche e possibile certamente con barche a motore).

Pero, e possibile parlare con uno architetto navale. Penso que e possibilie infatto (con una barca infatto piu grande) ma non mi ricordo niente similare si piccolo, tranne I gulet da Turchia (et anche alcune barche di Indonesia orientale). Ma tra gli gulet penso que anche avrebbe bisongo di essere piu grande.

Dovrete scusarmi per il mio cattivo Italiano. Io ho visuto in Lecce (con una bella regazza! ), ma molti anni fa!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 04:11   #3

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Pix gotta post pix when completed. Or at least some pix of what you want to do please. sounds ..... intriguing.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 06:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Pix gotta post pix when completed. Or at least some pix of what you want to do please. sounds ..... intriguing.
http://www.balivillaandyacht.com/yacht/sea-safari-7/

Look at the 4th pictures give you an idea of the proportion...But more free deck space and all the upper structure on the top end of the boat...If i can a make a drawn and post it😄
Old 23-11-2015, 06:39   #5

Ahahhah Muckle no problem, your italian is nice��

Yeah i take a look at the turkish gulet but the are all too low...
Even an average sailboat with the boom is about 1.50 meters height...Just a bit higher boom to pass over the roof( covered with solar panels)...

Need to do some nice design☺️
Old 23-11-2015, 06:48   #6

Quote:
Ahahhah Muckle no problem, your italian is nice��

Yeah i take a look at the turkish gulet but the are all too low...
Even an average sailboat with the boom is about 1.50 meters height...Just a bit higher boom to pass over the roof( covered with solar panels)...

Need to do some nice design☺️
Grazie Mille Perhaps you are really looking for a catamaran?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 23-11-2015, 06:51   #7

The Pirate Plank » Pirate Ship For Sale: Black Pearl Reduced to $750,000

This one has 3 deck and is 24mtrs long (about 76ft)...

Taking out one deck, a lot of ballast and a thin keel full of lead, smaller and stable, slower than a ordinary sailboat ( all steel, don't kill me, i would love all in wood, but mantain it is impossible) but beautiful an livable..
About the rig i was thinking about or a aerorig, or twin mast plus a furling jib in the front...
I really would like to keep it looking as old as vintage but functional, and easy to mantain like an ordinary sailboat...Am i pretending too much?
Old 23-11-2015, 09:37   #8

Here a little sketch...I'm not Picasso i know it And the sail plan need a little review...The book has 1cm square, and all is 1cm=1 meters.

I guess for this configuration i would need a bigger mainsail and furling jib and a very small fore sail as there is yet a very big area exposed to the wind, need to counterbalance the sail plan, including the saloon as to determine the total sail acting point.

Any advice or criticize is very welcome
Old 23-11-2015, 09:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Take a look at some of the Bermuda sloops from late 1700's some were built with the cabin deck configuration you are seeking.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:21   #10

Thanks, more or less i found this

https://www.gonautical.com/sailboats...junk-boat.html
Old 23-11-2015, 16:17   #11

Boat: hydrostream

Turkish Gulet ?
Old 23-11-2015, 16:34   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Here is a couple the might float your boat

2007 Junk Rigged Schooner Naga Pelangi Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1972 Chinese Junk by Luen Yard Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 22:57   #13

Quote:
Ok, I see you are serious about the whole "pirate ship" look, and what you are really thinking of is a late 17th or early 18th century design. I am well aware that such vessels are still constructed in Indonesia in quite a few locations, notably in Wera, Sumbawa. The pattern seems to be based at least in part upon European trading vessels of the later 17th century. This is where I would go if I were serious, and I were you.

Attached photos I shot over the past couple of years in Flores (2 masted sailing vessel of the "phinisi" type), Bellitung (beach construction of a mid sized vessel) , and Kumai (Wood cargo vessel, Kalimantan, Borneo) as examples.

Also see the following link for a quick overview of boat construction in Wera, Sumbawa.

Wera Sangiang Village – Buginese Sumbawa Phinisi Boat Builder Indonesia | boatbuildingindonesia.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Indonesian 17th century style vessel.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	113688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Indonesian beach boat construction.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	113689  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Indonesian cargo vessel, Kumai.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	113690  
Old 24-11-2015, 05:20   #14

The chinise junk is very beautiful�� must copy it�� and even quite cheap...but, what do you think about mantaining wood? Is it enoght heavy to stand an artic or sub artic cruise?

The first boat of Flugga is very beaotiful...

What about sailing abilities of a square rigged boat? I read that they can stand up to 35 degree upwind, is that true?
Old 24-11-2015, 05:56   #15

P.s. Do you think that one of these, steel, heavy duty construction, double lifting keel full of lead plus bilge keel can wistand an oceanic passage? I calculate the upper room would be about 4 tonnes....