Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 08:10   #16

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Newbies Pirates Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
P.s. Do you think that one of these, steel, heavy duty construction, double lifting keel full of lead plus bilge keel can wistand an oceanic passage? I calculate the upper room would be about 4 tonnes....
I really dont think these would work if made of steel. You would need a completely different design. These craft, when actually rigged for sailing, are not standardly "square rigged'. As to whether I think these would withstand "high latitude" sailing… I think you are joking.

Anyhow. Happy dreaming.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:49   #17

Lol
Thanks...

I don't mean exactly a square rig but a furling genoa on the front, a mainsail and a mezzanine at the end...or an aerorig...the best to obtain a bit of force from the sail, i know it will be a motorsailer pratically speaking...

If you think wich is the biggest difference between this idea and a ordinary sailboat with a covered pilot house?
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:03   #18

Quote:
Lol
Thanks...

I don't mean exactly a square rig but a furling genoa on the front, a mainsail and a mezzanine at the end...or an aerorig...the best to obtain a bit of force from the sail, i know it will be a motorsailer pratically speaking...

If you think wich is the biggest difference between this idea and a ordinary sailboat with a covered pilot house?
Well, probably that you want it to look like a late 17th century pirate ship!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 24-11-2015, 09:10   #19

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..I found one for sale.. maybe it's what you're looking for...
24 Meter Luxury Phinisi For Sale In Indonesia | boatbuildingindonesia.com
Old 24-11-2015, 09:13   #20

Lol

Excluding the looking fact...just a bigger pilothouse, full beam with a kitchen and a table inside��...Like a sailing trawler( i know is a countersense but if you think trawler has a very small rig just as auxiliary drive or come home rig, get it bigger sails and an heavy keel and you obtained the living space of almost a trawler, in a sailboat that can run decently with a good wind just on sails)
Old 24-11-2015, 09:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
..I found one for sale.. maybe it's what you're looking for...
24 Meter Luxury Phinisi For Sale In Indonesia | boatbuildingindonesia.com

I take a look at all, they would be my dream but mantaining wood...$$$$...and i must stay within 46 ft, lets say, same design, same rig, but all steel and rugged ready for vagabonding around the world😉
Old 24-11-2015, 09:20   #22

Quote:
I take a look at all, they would be my dream but mantaining wood...$$$$...and i must stay within 46 ft, lets say, same design, same rig, but all steel and rugged ready for vagabonding around the world😉
Why
Old 24-11-2015, 10:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Why
Italian taxation...within 46 ft 0 taxes to be paid, over it it it get more as longer the boat...there is a way to pay half tax is to have a engine that is power (in kw) is the half of the square meters of the sail...I know its complex, italian difficulty minister work very well in italy....

And another stupid italian laws that calculate you possibility to afford a boat based on it's leinght, so if it's too big and while travelling, for sure my income will be few, for the italian law you CAN'T afford it, meaning that you have a business that is not paiyng taxes, go to a lawyer and show to the italian authorities how are you living, how you are mantaining your boat,ecc spend tenth of thousand euro of lawyer that no one will refund you, even if you win the cause...

Even the years before you earned 70.000euro bought the boat ecc, 2 years later you earn only 12.000 euro, the italian authorities automatically accuse you to be hidding 58.000 euro from your earnings, now you are guilty until you prove that you have NOT earned the 58.000euro....

So smaller is better

Just think in italy if you want to open a new business, you have to pay the taxes on the presumed earning of the first year, BEFORE opening the business!!

End ot....