Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 10:38   #1

New to sailing.Live aboard advice? :)

Hello fellow sailors! I'm fairly new to the sailing world. ... I've been around boats a lot as a young girl, and I've always been one for adventure.
I'm looking for a vessel that would be easily singlehanded with bluewater capability (for extended periods). Would love to be able to sail my parents to Hawaii and back from California. Looking for a boat between 34' - 37'... (The reason being: the restrictions set by my strict liveaboard marina). My target price range would be just under $100k. I would have money to spend on repairs/upgrades before I do any bluewater sailing.
I have my eye on a few boats, I would really appreciate some more experienced opinions and suggestions
I am really liking the sound of the Nonsuch354/33 and the Nonsuch36- a very unique boat, I love the idea of a unique boat with easy handling! Dying to try out that unstayed mast with wishbone boom design...
Also have my eye on a few others as well
The Jeaneau 37, 36i, and 34.2
The Beneteau 34 and finally the IslandPacket 35. Thank you everyone!
NikiRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 18:08   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New to sailing.Live aboard advice? :)

Welcome aboard, Niki,

Sounds like you might be ready to go aboard some of those boats and see what makes your heart go pitty-pat.

There's a CF thread called "Survey 101" which may give you some specific things to look at in the various boats.

Since you have in mind the passages to and from HI, life aboard will be enhanced if you can go fore and aft below decks using handholds when the boat is heeled. When we went to HI, I was not seasick on the downwind portions of the trip, but was on the upwind ones, for days and days. Nowadays, I carry meds for it. ;-)

Ann
Old 22-12-2015, 18:49   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Welcome to CF Niki. Lots of boats on the market. Take your time and get aboard as much as you can to get a feel of what works for you.

Best of luck to you.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 21:47   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Niki,

Welcome. I like Nonsuch but an unstayed rig for ocean passage is not appropriate, (did I say crazy?) 😃 I would think a more flexible sail plan is a good idea.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 07:54   #5

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30

I would not look at Beneteau or Jeneau with the intention of making long offshore passages. They basically floating apartments with masts. People do make bluewater voyages in them but people have also crossed oceans in glorified dinghies and survived long periods in open lifeboats. The best boat on your list for what you propose is the Island Packet. They are superior boats, well built with a price to match. There are lots of other boats to consider, both currently in production and out of production. Others will, I'm sure offer their opinions, but I'm partial to Sabres which are also high quality boats, although Sabre no longer builds sailboats.
Old 23-12-2015, 07:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hi Niki,

Welcome. I like Nonsuch but an unstayed rig for ocean passage is not appropriate, (did I say crazy?) 😃 I would think a more flexible sail plan is a good idea.
There's no reason why a well-engineered unstayed mast should be any less reliable than a stayed alternative. In fact, it's mainly the stays and attachment points that fail in rigs (which of course an unstayed mast does not have). I well remember when unstayed aeroplane wings took over from the biplanes, they said they'd fall off.

I wouldn't want to use a Nonesuch for an ocean passage because it is far too unbalanced when the boom is eased; most ocean passages are planned with the prevailing wind aft of the beam and such an unbalanced rig will not allow self-steering or efficient use of an autopilot except close-hauled.
nuvaslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:04   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazer View Post
I would not look at Beneteau or Jeneau with the intention of making long offshore passages. They basically floating apartments with masts. People do make bluewater voyages in them but people have also crossed oceans in glorified dinghies and survived long periods in open lifeboats. The best boat on your list for what you propose is the Island Packet. They are superior boats, well built with a price to match. There are lots of other boats to consider, both currently in production and out of production. Others will, I'm sure offer their opinions, but I'm partial to Sabres which are also high quality boats, although Sabre no longer builds sailboats.
Jeanneaus are not real bluewater boats?? been smoking something lately? You might want to take a look at the latest ARC and see how many Jeanneaus are in that list - Your profile says nothing of you owning a boat nor any other info for that matter.
We sail a Jeanneau and have been full time liveaboard crusiers for the past 8 years with a 2 handed Atlantic crossing and more miles than we care to count. She is great sailing boat and very comfortable and for single handing she is set up well as I single handed from Miami to Hadley Harbor and back with a lot of it on the outside
So please do not tell me Jeanneaus are not bluewater.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:04   #8

Boat: 1983 Freedom 39 Deck Salon

One caution about having a non-traditional rig: In a marina, people walking the docks will stop and want to talk with you about it. If you are a people person that might be okay, but otherwise it interferes with getting projects done and your private space. We have a Freedom 39 cat rigged schooner. And I would cross oceans with my unstayed masts.
monroe0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:05   #9

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Hi Niki,

I have to agree that the Nonsuch is not appropriate for your goal. However, I think just having 1 sail is a bigger problem than unstayed masts. Nonsuch is a good choice for a first boat though with the more realistic goal of learning to sail & coastal cruising.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:05   #10

Cape Dory makes a nice traditional blue water sailboat, you could look in the 31-36 foot size and they would fill the bill. If you are in California you might have to look back east though.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:07   #11

Quote:
Hi Niki,

Thank you so much for the feedback 😃
Old 23-12-2015, 08:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazer View Post
Thank you for your input! 😃 I will do some more research... Will definitely look into Sabre. Cheers
Old 23-12-2015, 08:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvaslacker View Post
There's no reason why a well-engineered unstayed mast should be any less reliable than a stayed alternative. In fact, it's mainly the stays and attachment points that fail in rigs (which of course an unstayed mast does not have). I well remember when unstayed aeroplane wings took over from the biplanes, they said they'd fall off.

I wouldn't want to use a Nonesuch for an ocean passage because it is far too unbalanced when the boom is eased; most ocean passages are planned with the prevailing wind aft of the beam and such an unbalanced rig will not allow self-steering or efficient use of an autopilot except close-hauled.
Thank you very much for your reply. After all that I am hearing I am leaning towards the island packets a bit! Thanks 😃
Old 23-12-2015, 08:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Jeanneaus are not real bluewater boats?? been smoking something lately? You might want to take a look at the latest ARC and see how many Jeanneaus are in that list - Your profile says nothing of you owning a boat nor any other info for that matter.
We sail a Jeanneau and have been full time liveaboard crusiers for the past 8 years with a 2 handed Atlantic crossing and more miles than we care to count. She is great sailing boat and very comfortable and for single handing she is set up well as I single handed from Miami to Hadley Harbor and back with a lot of it on the outside
So please do not tell me Jeanneaus are not bluewater.
Thank you for your response! Jeanneau is still on my list... Beautiful boats, do you recommend a certain model? 😃
Old 23-12-2015, 08:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0 View Post
One caution about having a non-traditional rig: In a marina, people walking the docks will stop and want to talk with you about it. If you are a people person that might be okay, but otherwise it interferes with getting projects done and your private space. We have a Freedom 39 cat rigged schooner. And I would cross oceans with my unstayed masts.
That is too funny! I have previously looked at Freedom boats, I love the unique look, (and as I have said before, I'm dying to try out an unstayed mast one of these days 😜 ) Could she be singlehanded? Thank you for your reply!

Tags
Bluewater, liveaboard, new member, nonsuch, sail, sailing