Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 06:28   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
New rig for a Catalina 36 Mk II

I have an opportunity to purchase a new rig for my Catalina. My boat is a standard rig with a winged keel and is in excellent shape. The potential purchase is a tall rig, rod rigging, with a furling boom so a pricey combination which is being offered at a decent price. I could use my current #2 or get something larger. I sail mainly on Lake Ontario where summer winds are typically light. Obviously the performance would be better with a tall rig, but enough better to justify the expense is my question? BTW, the tall mast is 2' taller.
Old 31-12-2020, 11:44   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: New rig for a Catalina 36 Mk II

If you want to improve performance you could change to the standard keel too. Two feet more mast height does not seem like a lot. PHRF New England has a convenient listing of the various permutations of the Catalina 36, showing what they think of your question: PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps
The basic Cat 36 rates 138. They think the Tall Mast version is six seconds a mile faster, at 132. Your wing keel version rates 147 according to them, and the TM reduces the rating the same six seconds per mile, to 141. The upshot is that you should expect some improvement, but you'll need new sails on top of the new rig to make it happen. That will add to your costs. The Catalina 36 is not a rocket. Putting on a taller rig is not going to turn it into one.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 14:33   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Honestly, that is a lot of money (although not specified) and trouble for a 6 second per mile gain.

You could get a similar increase in performance by fitting a folding prop for far less cash and an even bigger reduction in effort.

Finally, if you decide to go that route, be sure to find out the history of the rod rigging. The vendors of such have a rigorous maintenance and inspection schedule that they insist upon... neither cheap nor convenient.

Jim
Old 31-12-2020, 14:43   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Unless your sails are very recent I’d bet a new set of performance sails would make more of a difference than a 2’ taller rig for far less cash and inconvenience.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:08   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Unless your sails are very recent I’d bet a new set of performance sails would make more of a difference than a 2’ taller rig for far less cash and inconvenience.
If he goes with a new rig he'll need new sails anyway. Win Win? No. $$ $$ and still slow.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:04   #6

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I have an opportunity to purchase a new rig for my Catalina. My boat is a standard rig with a winged keel and is in excellent shape. The potential purchase is a tall rig, rod rigging, with a furling boom so a pricey combination which is being offered at a decent price. I could use my current #2 or get something larger. I sail mainly on Lake Ontario where summer winds are typically light. Obviously the performance would be better with a tall rig, but enough better to justify the expense is my question? BTW, the tall mast is 2' taller.
We have the tall rig on our 2001 Catalina 36 MKII. Can't tell what the performance difference would be. Does this have anything to do with the mast leak I discussed with you. BTW thanks for the leak info.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:25   #7

Boat: Beneteau 361

For light summer winds here, I would keep the rig and get a decent asymmetrical, or code 0, or (preferably) both, in addition to the folding prop.
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 16:52   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Thanks for the comments, I have decided not to pursue the purchase. I don't think I will have this boat long enough to make it worthwhile. Current plan is to go the North Channel this summer via the Trent-Severn unbound (shoal draft keel), Newfoundland, then a last kick at the can to Bermuda. Everything is pushed back a year so NC was to be in 2020. After that it will be looking at a daysailor for an old fart (75 by that point). After coming back from sailing around the world, cruising on Lake Ontario just doesn't appeal. BTW we have an asymm.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:28   #9

Boat: Beneteau 361

Great plan. If you make it to Georgian Bay and the North Channel, and come across a Beneteau with green top called "Ariella", we would love to have you over for drinks and hear the stories
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36