Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 06:46   #1

Need Reccomendations

Retiring in 18 mos. Plan on sailing 6 mos and home 6 mos give or take. Sailing out of Florida plans are for the keys, bahamas and eventually carribean. Plan was to get an older cat but looks like with the real estate market I will need to look at a mono. Limited sailing experience (26 ft Pearson) but the wife and I plan to take a course to brush up. Looking for a comfy Sloop w/ wide beam bright and airy below. Would like to stay in $50,000 range. I know its a broad question but any rec's at the make/model of sailboat you would think I should be considering. Much appreciated
Aquaholic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:05   #2

Re: Need Reccomendations

First question is what length are you really looking at?
newtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:34   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico

Hunter 30
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:03   #4

2002 Hunter 306 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Hunter has things to be said for it, this one appearws to be well fitted out.
one item you should think about having fitted is self steering, (wind vane is the best type for distance cruising)
In this size of boat you have a wide choice, with the markeedt being a buyers one you also have command of the price and can make offers (which might not have been accepted before) which really suit your pocket even if you feel you did lose out on your house boats have been hit harder
cheers fro now
Chris
newtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 04:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Bethimes View Post
First question is what length are you really looking at?
I was thinking of mid 30 to 40 ft, I want something that would be adequate to make those passings to the Carribean
Old 19-03-2011, 04:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Bethimes View Post
2002 Hunter 306 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Hunter has things to be said for it, this one appearws to be well fitted out.
one item you should think about having fitted is self steering, (wind vane is the best type for distance cruising)
In this size of boat you have a wide choice, with the markeedt being a buyers one you also have command of the price and can make offers (which might not have been accepted before) which really suit your pocket even if you feel you did lose out on your house boats have been hit harder
cheers fro now
Chris
Perhaps its not unrealistic to look at mid $60K range to and get something in the high 50K

I did not think hunter had a good reputation but will now consider
Old 19-03-2011, 05:39   #7

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 351, 35'

My wife and I are planning on the same routine as you, but hope to leave the fall of '11 from Kentucky Lake. We picked up a 1996 Beneteau 351 with 300 hours on the engine last Nov. for low $50's- not many extras and are getting it ready now for cruising now. Hopefully will only have to invest another $15k with smart spending, buying some used items and doing most of the work ourselves.

We brought it back to KY from Galveston via the ICW and TennTom waterway for the "shake down" cruise and had a great trip. Made us want to get everything ready for next fall.

We had a Hunter 260 and it was an "OK" lake boat, but would not consider another Hunter- especially for cruising. Very little customer support, no detail for quality, and spare parts took for ever to obtain at inflated pricing. I have already gotten several small things from Beneteau at reasonable rates and customer service that wants to help.

There are a lot of great deals on good used boats out there right now. Sounds like you are already checking on the reputation of different makes and that is wise. Would encourage to buy as large as you and your wife feel comfortable sailing. I've already found that the "extras" add up quickly, so a boat loaded will save you $$'s before you leave- it is fun getting it ready and a great learning experience. A good survey is a valuable tool in making your decision, too. Cruisers' Forum has got more info than one can possible digest, but keep reading and the members are great and willing to share a wealth of info.

Feel free to PM me about anything and will help if I can. Good luck!
sailrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:54   #8

Boat: Hunter 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic101 View Post
Retiring in 18 mos. Plan on sailing 6 mos and home 6 mos give or take. Sailing out of Florida plans are for the keys, bahamas and eventually carribean. Plan was to get an older cat but looks like with the real estate market I will need to look at a mono. Limited sailing experience (26 ft Pearson) but the wife and I plan to take a course to brush up. Looking for a comfy Sloop w/ wide beam bright and airy below. Would like to stay in $50,000 range. I know its a broad question but any rec's at the make/model of sailboat you would think I should be considering. Much appreciated
Hunter 40 yacht for sale
We sailed this boat in Florida and all over the Gulf Coast, had a ball, but have moved up to a Hunter Passage 42. She would work fine for your plans.
wahoo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
I know its a broad question but any rec's at the make/model of sailboat you would think I should be considering. Much appreciated
You are exactly like nearly everyone else starting out including the budget. You'll probably see people that look like you do too. Forget make and model and open the list up as wide as possible. People tend to like the boats they have - you will too. Try to avoid preconceptions. Start making lists of boats you can actually go see in person. Don't be distracted about some boat somebody said was the one to get. Bring the Admiral always - she knows an ugly boat when she sees one.

Walking some miles of dock and looking at and inside some boats really for sale that you could actually make an offer on is what separates the cool ideas from owning a boat you are happy with. You eventually know which boats are really for sale and you can compare the details of what you like and don't like. You need to do this homework and walk some docks. Add lunch in the nicer marinas where you can't afford any of the boats (the food is better).

Keep written notes in a notebook of what you do and don't like - very important! Log each boat with as many details as possible. Look around CF to see about the details of boats once you see things that generate real questions. You don't need a lists of possible boats to go find. You need to find boats for sale now near you. It is more about you than it is about the boat.

Basics:

1. Never buy the ugliest boat in any marina.

2. They cost more to fix up than you ever dreamed.

3. They cost more to maintain than I ever dreamed.

4. The Admiral knows a really poor boat when she sees it and the guy that suggested it.

5. No boat you saw on the Internet looks like it does when you really get on it.

You can learn to look at boats and it is a good education toward your goal and should be made into a fun adventure all its own. If you can 't have fun doing this part you'll never have any fun later. Take the class as they can be even more fun than looking at boats. If you make this all fun now you don't have to be in a hurry and that is the only real lesson you need to remember once you own a boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 07:52   #10

Boat: Currently boatless

That's really good advice from Paul
Also, if you plan to buy an older boat, avoid complex systems, look for easy access to all nooks and crannies.
Old 19-03-2011, 08:10   #11

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Lotsa good advice here. I'd add: take your time. Be aware that whatever boat you choose you will likely spend additional $$ to get it the way YOU want it. (more$$ than you think!)
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:26   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need Reccomendations

Or you could follow my method... find the boat that suits you best all round in space, equipment and condition... then fit yourself into the boat rather than try to make the boat fit around you...
Its a lot easier and cheaper...
Always makes me laugh... "I love the Beneteau layout.... just wanna rip out this bulkhead and move this........"
Its like saying you love a Bently but are gonna rip out the back and make it into a pick up to suit your needs....
Just buy a bludi pick up....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote