Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2008, 13:49   #1

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Miami Boatshow 2009, reccomendations please.

I am thinking of flying over to see the boat show next year and would appreciate pointers on:

Where to stay?

Other things to do in and around Miami

Do I need to rent a car for the duration of the boatshow or is a cab easier?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 13:55   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You can have a wonderful time within a 10 square block area. You will be in South Beach. There are 25cent buses, and $1.50 buses to take you anywhere you want. Walking Lincoln Ave. will be a treat within itself.

To the west end of Lincoln is Alton Rd. Turn left, and go one block on the right is Dairy Queen, and next to it is a DELICIOUS Colombian restaraunt that serves huge platters for cheap. Lunch soups will serve 2. Stop into D.Q., and say hi to Jason. A fellow sailor, and server of delicious ice creams.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 14:02   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hey, somebody else that knows about the Colombian restaurant. Best deal in Miami. No liquor license though but the lunch is great!!
Old 19-08-2008, 14:18   #4

Hi there I am in miami and will be at the show..Give me a call can get a few tickets for you.. Will not need a car for the show and South Beach is the place to be..See ya there

ChantyAbc
Chantyabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 14:34   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Vasco,

He had a second place just off of Lincoln with a license. He didn't last long there. You are so right a GREAT DEAL! Primarepa is the name
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 14:45   #6

Thanks everyone.

I've been doing some hotel searches, rates are all crazy for that area, seems that 400$ per night is like the cheap end....

Any good ideas of where to stay? Probably much cheaper to commute in, I was hoping for a max of around 250$..

Any ideas are very welcome

Thanks

Alan
Old 19-08-2008, 14:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantyabc View Post
Hi there I am in miami and will be at the show..Give me a call can get a few tickets for you.. Will not need a car for the show and South Beach is the place to be..See ya there

ChantyAbc
AbcBoatLoans.com

Thanks for the very kind offer,I would like to accept it. I'll PM you later once lodging etc. is sorted.

Thanks

Alan
Old 19-08-2008, 15:07   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Thanks everyone.

I've been doing some hotel searches, rates are all crazy for that area, seems that 400$ per night is like the cheap end....

Any good ideas of where to stay? Probably much cheaper to commute in, I was hoping for a max of around 250$..

Any ideas are very welcome

Thanks

Alan

Try further north in South Broward. There are many hotels right off I-95. LaQuinta off of Sheridan is nice and I'm sure a lot less than $250 per night. It's not a bad drive south to the boat show about 3o-40 minutes and alot less crowded. The show doesn't usually start until mid morning so there's no rush to get out early. Park in the Bayside parking lot and walk to the sail boat show and take the free bus to the power boat show. I'd rent a car and have a few nice dinners on the money saved by lodging further north. Of course free beer and pizza on Latts and Atts night after the show.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 15:14   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Try the National. The rate is $ 199 for the night. It is right off South Beach.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 16:21   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
We got a "boat show price" at the Holiday Inn right across the street from the Strictly Sail area. Around 200.00 I think. Crappy old room (we both caught something but can't really blame the hotel I guess) and parking out front for $12.00 per day. It was nice to just walk across the street to shops (wife) and restaurants. The shuttle busses take folks to the Power side and the vendors at the convention center. Long lines and long trip but if you have a few brochures on your lap, so what! Still easier than driving yourself. We spent two days just with the sailboats. If one wants to see the vendors too one must plan for the full time it is there.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 18:46   #11

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
The Miami show is not my first choice for a sailboat show. New electronics will be introduced in this show but the Annapolis Show will have many more boats to view.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 21:26   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Which show has more catamarans? I am considering the Miami show in 2009 for that reason but I would like to confirm this.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 21:33   #13

So many things to do in Miami! Definitely South Beach during the day, night life is great to. Try and get into Coconut Grove. You are so close to the Florida Keys and it's lobster season so maybe a trip to John Pennycamp in Key Largo wouldn't be a bad idea.
Renting a car With Insurance is best! Cabs are over priced and cabbies are shady sometimes! Horrible drivers in Miami so beware!
Places to Stay.. depends on your price range. My fav is the Delano Hotel on 16th and Collins, and also the "Hotel" is close by aswell. Try to book something ASAP. Anything on Collins between 5th and 18th is great!Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 19-08-2008, 21:37   #14
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Aye, too much money.

Get a cheap hotel around MIA airport, perhaps $80 or $90 on 36st Street.
Try Holiday Inn Express or some similar budget places.
Or go West or North..or just book early.
Yeah, rent a car (Book early).

Not much sailboat stuff on the Miami show, although there is a few docks with ragboats. Most of the space is for polished up Sea-Rays for Joe-Sixpack power-boater and the like...Not much substance, just the glitter and the slick salesmen preaching the wisdom of a big gasoline engine and a loud stereo.
Old 19-08-2008, 21:38   #15

Also... there is a Marriot on US1, south of 195. I believe it is a JW Marriot. the only one in Brickell( considered downtown Miami) 1 mile from the Marina. There is a sheraton across from Bayfront park ( 5 blks south of the Marina) And also maybe a holiday inn. These last two are right off the exit from 95 as you connect with US1.Cheers!

Tags
miami