Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2010, 15:02   #16

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Right on Ocean Girl!
I had a great time seeing a little Albin Vega 25 in about five or six different countries in the Caribbean one season. The couple on board went everywhere. The 50 footers stayed in Nanny Cay, St Maarten or Antigua all season getting work done. Who had the most fun?

Pearsons are great boats. I have a particular love for the old 35... dog slow and solid as a rock. Go anywhere. The 10M is another favorite and much faster. Sexy too!

We have only 9 gallons of water and fuel on our little boat. This is a real limiter since the spare water jugs take up space below and cut into the ambiance of the interior. I think 50 gallons of water and 12 to 15 of fuel should do the job on a basic cruising boat.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 15:14   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well, I'm sure that the older Beneteaus are better, but I went to the New England Boat Show last Sunday and took a look at the new Bene 39. There was not a single handhold in the cabin. In rough weather you would be tossed around like a beanbag. You couldn't reach the winches from the wheel either, but hey, let's not nitpick. After all, it had a beautiful queen sized double berth and a microwave, and the price was right.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 15:20   #18

Hey:
I was there today. The NE Boat Show lacks the punch it once had.

There is nothing at the show I cannot find on line. It is nice to visit with sailing friends, however.
Old 25-02-2010, 16:02   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Hey:
I was there today. The NE Boat Show lacks the punch it once had.

There is nothing at the show I cannot find on line. It is nice to visit with sailing friends, however.
Yes, I ran into some friends and into a very competent broker (Suzanne Ellis) who almost sold me a boat once.

They've cut way back, particularly on the sailboats. For starters, Tartan wasn't there. I guess it's the economy.

There were lots of those silly pontoon boats, though. They look like the second deck of a sightseeing bus with a couple of pontoon underneath. Oh well...
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 08:13   #20

On the subject of this thread:

Yachts and their systems are subject to failure. Yachties are always maintaining against failure of some piece of gear or another. It seems to me that a good cruising yacht is one that the operators can maintain. That is a question of both skill and funds. Our little Averisera meets or exceeds our requirements there, making her a perfect boat. For us!

A fellow I know and trust is a new boat dealer. He has sold six new mid-30s boats this spring. The buyers want dealer support, warranties, advanced sailing instruction, etc. Make sense. Now is a great time to buy a boat.

Two owners have just contacted me about deliveries of new-to-them brokerage boats. Both boats are priced north of 100k. I gather that now is a great time to buy a boat.

Nice to know.
Old 26-02-2010, 10:15   #21

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
On the subject of this thread:

Yachts and their systems are subject to failure. Yachties are always maintaining against failure of some piece of gear or another. It seems to me that a good cruising yacht is one that the operators can maintain.
The question would arise that its easier to train an individual to maintain than it would be to build a yacht being maintaince free.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 10:57   #22

So right.

One of my themes is that all the discussions around cruising ignore the one critical facet: what can you do to keep your boat?

I make fun of the guys parked in marinas working on their boats. Fact is, that is what they enjoy. Their perfect boat keeps them busy all day long. Have at it, I say.

My choice is different.

BTW: I wonder what the originator of this thread has to say about all our chatter? Probably gone sailing! Hope so.
Old 26-02-2010, 11:54   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
She's out picking up boats
I hope she just sees the value of older vs newer and avoids the harbor queens....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:39   #24

haha
I just got back from the boat yard and checking my baby. We have had rain and wind, no snow in Boston. Averisera is fine. Thank goodness for this forum. Otherwise, my poor wife would have to listen to me...