Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 09:19   #1
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Multihullers, Tell Us What You Like About Monohulls

I and many others on this forum tire of the incessant bickering between two camps - monohullers and multihullers, of this great pastime and passion that we all share. I and many others love boats - and are able to respect the choices that others have made.

I am proposing this thread so that like-minded members of this forum can have the opportunity to express their respect and appreciation, rather than criticisms of the boats that the other camp have chosen to own and sail. I will be starting a like thread in the multihull forum so that monohullers can do the same about multihulls. I have no idea where this will take us, but it has to be better than the bickering and often over-stated and unsubstantiated claims that are made by both sides of what is the very same coin.

While I am currently the proud owner of a catamaran, I have owned numerous monohulls. I am a firm believer in the old adage about 'different horses for different courses' and, while my current and near-term plans favour a catamaran, I could well see myself buying another monohull in the future.

I must confess that I prefer the feel and the responsiveness of a well-balanced monohull, especially with a tiller. I love the fact that one can get an immediate impression of changes in wind velocity with an immediate increase in heeling.

While I appreciate the increased space and brightness of the interior of my present boat, I also have fond memories of the snug little cabin of my smallest keel boat - a 25 foot folkboat, after a sail in vigorous conditions.

I must also confess a fondness for the look of traditional monohulls - overhangs, a sweet sheer and a low coachouse with - yes - teak trim. I could say more, but will leave it (I hope) to others.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 09:35   #2

Re: Multihullers, tell us what you like about monohulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
While I am currently the proud owner of a catamaran, I have owned numerous monohulls. I am a firm believer in the old adage about 'different horses for different courses' and, while my current and near-term plans favour a catamaran, I could well see myself buying another monohull in the future.
As a mono owner who presently prefers monos, you have stated my position exactly. In another thread I used exactly that statement, 'horses for courses'. Couldn't agree more.

AussieGeoff
AussieGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 10:02   #3
CF Adviser

Thanks AussieGeoff - we'll see if we are in the minority. Just to keep the ball rolling, you say you presently prefer monohulls - anything about multihulls that you like and that might make you purchase one if circumstances change?

Brad
Old 25-11-2011, 10:14   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have owned both types, but I am currently the owner of a 38-foot mono. By far the #1 best attribute of multihulls, IMHO, is the possibility of shallow draft on an ocean going boat, opening up vast areas of exploration, reducing coastal piloting woes tremendously, providing a huge safety valve in case of error, and in general making the sailing life more fun. Unsinkability is a close #2 in my book, which is the Achilles heel of most monos. Frankly, I am less worried at sea about storms that everyone seems to talk about, but the chances of hitting a floating container or log seem pretty good--I have hit some big stuff with luckily no damage.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:20   #5
CF Adviser

Thanks Kettlewell. And while some multihulls can sink, there is no doubt that the majority of the newer boats have sufficient flotation compartments to be truly unsinkable. Now we need some other multihullers to join in on this one and give some more postives on monohulls, while thses types of posts go on the thread in the multihull section.

Brad
Old 25-11-2011, 10:20   #6

Quote:
Thanks AussieGeoff - we'll see if we are in the minority. Just to keep the ball rolling, you say you presently prefer monohulls - anything about multihulls that you like and that might make you purchase one if circumstances change?
Certainly.

1) Speed. They're fast. Might be a consideration one day, but mostly for the present, I'm not in a big hurry.
2) Motion. You mentioned this. Can be kinder to those that don't like the way monos heel. The Chief Officer (SWMBO) is a bit that way.
3) Interior space. A big cat has more (mostly) flat living space than a mono of the same size.
4) Draft. Generally shallower than the same size mono. Where I am is a lot of relatively shallow water, (even in the harbour) so in that respect I would have preferred a bilge keeler or shoal draft keel, but I had to get what was available, so like most things, the good outweighed the bad.

The big negative issue for me would be cost. I've not seen any 35' cruising cats for $14k. I'm a ferro owner, so I'm getting used to the religious issues of one type/construction et al v another. At present, my needs and wallet favour a ferro mono. That might change some day.

As I mentioned in the other thread, you can flip a cat with the right combination of wind, waves, speed and stupidity, but this can be applied in varying degrees to any hull type.

AussieGeoff
AussieGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 10:31   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Oops, I misinterpreted the OP--you want what we like about monos! Well, I definitely prefer the "feel" of a well-tuned mono going to windward, and like you I love that tiller in my hand guiding her there through the waves. My wife greatly prefers the slow, smoother motions of a heavy mono to the herky, jerky motions of a cat in rough conditions, even with the heeling. I also love the feeling of going down below and being in a cocoon when offshore. Cats you are much higher up, taking slaps from all the wave tops and even under the bridge deck, and they tend to be very noisy in bad weather or good compared to a mono. I also like that you can let the boat take care of herself more in very shifty bad weather offshore, whereas the cat takes more active management to make sure you have just the right amount of sail up all the time. In smaller sizes monos are much better load carriers. They take up much less space in harbors and marinas, meaning in certain areas it is easier to maneuver a mono and find a nice anchorage. Monos generally adapt better to windvane self-steering. There are vastly more monos of all different types and styles on the used market, meaning you can find a voyager much more economically and I think you can safely sail a much shorter mono around the world, reducing your expenses every step of the way.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:32   #8

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

As a reluctant convert to multihulls I miss the visceral feel of sailing on a slope...

Truthfully I miss heeling and steering with a tiller.

On the positive side, sailing flat opens it up for a lot of people who freak out on boats heeling. That's a backhanded compliment, but in many ways sailing is socializing so making a few non sailors happy makes me happy.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 10:33   #9
CF Adviser

AussieGeoff, I haven't owned ferro, but I have owned steel as well as frp monos. I have had full keels, fin keels and swing keels. I have had rudders hung off the transom, off the keel, on skegs and on partial skegs. I have had sloop rigs, a cutter rig and a solent rig. I have gone from cuddy cabins to a boat with a pilothouse and two steering stations. I could list advantages and disadvantages to all of them. Its why I have such a difficult time understanding why some people can't see advantages to other types of vessels.

Cost, of course, is a huge advantage to ferro cement - and you are absolutely right, there is no way one can get a multi that would give as much bang for the buck as your boat!

Brad
Old 25-11-2011, 11:05   #10
CF Adviser

C'mon multihullers, the monohullers are being much more complimentary about multis! Speak now or forever hold your peace about which side is more biased!

Brad
Old 25-11-2011, 11:38   #11

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND

Quote:
C'mon multihullers, the monohullers are being much more complimentary about multis! Speak now or forever hold your peace about which side is more biased!

Brad
Maybe the multi-hullers are tired of this subject in general and have come to realize action speaks louder than words. So maybe more of them are out sailing instead of worrying about it.
Old 25-11-2011, 11:58   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Multihullers, Tell Us what You Like About Monohulls

....and this is how these threads end up...bitter and sarcastic
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 12:03   #13

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
....and this is how these threads end up...bitter and sarcastic
I actually have no bitterness towards anyone or any boat. I also have a lovely photo of my old robert Perry double-ender as my desktop wallpaper because i loved that boat, but this particular subject is tired to say the least.

We all sail what we own and we all love sailing.

Old 25-11-2011, 12:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Multihullers, Tell Us what You Like About Monohulls

Whats not to like.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 12:24   #15

Boat: Leopard 40 40 ft

Way to go, keep it positive. Not only do I tire of the banter between the two camps, I also tire of the sol-called riff between sail and power boats. I LIKE BOATING AND BOATERS. I appreciate the good things that each owner gets out of enjoying his/her own boat and the time we share on others' boats. We can choose to enjoy each other or not to. I choose the former.
Nauti-Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote