Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 13:25   #31

Boat: Montgomery 17
Re: Monohull with room to store 2 full sized bicycles?

Thanks for all of your thoughtful replies. I like the one about a v-berth shelf Steady Hand, and some of the other specific boats identified that have good storage. I don't agree with those that think a disposable bike or a small wheel bike is a good idea, or not for me. I have owned 20" bikes and find them too limited. I would never plan to leave one of my bikes locked alone somewhere for an extended period of time, so theft if a secondary consideration. I think the upshot is that it is one more reason that for me personally, a bit larger boat may be in order. Will give room for such storage, better hull speed, livability for mate and visitors, etc. We will see where I end up! Again thanks, if anyone has a great idea that pops up, I would welcome it!
Old 16-05-2017, 13:28   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Monohull with room to store 2 full sized bicycles?

You want a weed eater powered folding bike?
Boy do I have a deal for you, it's a Honda four stroke so not as buzzey as a two stroke and likely higher quality, and the real wheel has two free wheels, so if the motor is not powering the bike, it's chain doesn't even turn so it's no extra drag over a non powered bike.
I put it together to carry in my airplane, worked great for that

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 13:33   #33

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's a little out of the ordinary, but for the most part, the space on the overhead above the dinette is wasted. So you can stow wheels, frames, etc. up there.

One other thing to consider is where are you going to be cruising? Since if you have unique bikes, or bikes with unusual parts, they may be hard to come by in some areas. Odd tire sizes included. And tires & tubes only store for so long without going bad, whether they're ridden on or not.

PS: If you can't find room for a bike or three on a 40' boat, then you have some serious storage priority issues.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 19:28   #34

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Ideal?
Old 16-05-2017, 20:26   #35

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We own over 20 full size bikes, I was an avid cycling fanatic racer, roadie for over fifteen years. Several bikes costing much more than cars, as in $20k.

We gave up on keeping them onboard, It just doesn't work on several levels, space, rust, dinghy rides etc. In Cali, I did keep two Cervelo track bikes and four sets of wheels onboard our Hunter 450 broken down in bike bags and fiberglass wheel cases for use at the LA Velodrome. The road bikes will rust.

Just buy a Brompton for the boat and keep it inside coated with WD40 when you're away.

Now it's fun to come up behind a group of roadies in a paceline and join in on the Brompton whilst wearing street clothes. Gets a lot of WTF looks from the home boys.
Probably about the same kind of look that I've seen an older paceline group give a younger townie when he passes them on a steel fixie.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 22:56   #36

Boat: Nauticat 32

Suwena has a cabinet for their foldable tandem.

https://www.suwena.net/en/node/191
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 06:19   #37

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

I own a Kadey Krogen cutter, the cockpit lockers are large enough that I could store a 27" road bike without removing the wheels or anything else.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:41   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Probably about the same kind of look that I've seen an older paceline group give a younger townie when he passes them on a steel fixie.
Yeah, cause I have never seen that, it still amazes me how fast you can go in a paceline. I have not ridden in one for nearly 20 years though.
Old 17-05-2017, 08:15   #39

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

The cockpit lockers on the Kadey Krogen cutter must have a huge opening seat top and be quite deep, maybe great for storing something like a bike, but if it's that big you would have a hard time retrieving that small item that you dropped in there by mistake. Maybe they are large enough that you can jump down in them and pick it up, but you would have to remove everything in order to do that. It doesn't sound like a good use of space. 4 smaller lockers would be much better in my opinion. A locker that can store the complete wheels and then an extremely radical fold-up frame would be much better.
Old 17-05-2017, 08:37   #40
cruiser

OP,

I've tried road bikes, track bikes, MTB bikes and now Brompton folding bikes. Hands down the Bromptons are less trouble and solve all the major bike issues including storage. Believe me, nobody was more serious about cycling than me having competed in national championships etc and working on a world record attempt right up until I called it quits and went cruising. Wanna buy a high altitude training chamber? I've got two.

Here's what I've learned over the past seven years on a boat, bikes rust, cables seize up, your wonderful ride will turn to poop in no time no matter what you do or precautions you might take. I got tired of replacing cables every two months or sooner. A Brompton will give you the same workout usually in less time. When I ride 20 miles on the Brompton, it's the same work out as forty on my road bikes. The Brompton gets me into tight walkways in town where I can ride extremely slow on walking paths without the authorities telling me to walk my bike, can even do a track stand. I can also take it into stores with me, by placing it in a shopping carriage. Street shoes work fine. I can use a trailer behind the Brompton and the thing is built like a battleship to take abuse. It transfers easily into the dinghy. Your road bike WILL get soaked in the dinghy and rust up. I once fell in with one of my bikes while getting into the dinghy which finished off the bike. A Total loss, you might as well soak your bike in urine for a day, same outcome. When you see your pretty road bike getting splashed with sea water, next time think of it as pee.

Again, I finally gave up on the road bikes and MTB bikes last summer, and couldn't be happier with my decision. The Bromptons stay on the boat, and when I get home, the road bikes come out.

But do whatever you want, purchase a boat to house your bikes. Makes no sense at all to me after what I've experience first hand.

Karbon
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:01   #41

Boat: Hullmaster 27

If the OP is dead-set on a full-size bike ... have you considered S&S frame couplers? you will have to get a custom frame built, and will take considerably more time to assemble/dissassemble your bike than the 15-30sec it takes for a folding bike, but a full-sized frame can pack down pretty small. Which will help with dinghy transport, storage, and getting the thing through the companionway.

But on a 27ft boat I have no choice, and have to agree with Ken ... Brompton for the win!
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:17   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can have a bike cut and the frame couplers welded in. I think that was their original intent, back in the day of steel framed bikes.
Tough to weld on a carbon framed bike though
Old 17-05-2017, 10:03   #43
cruiser

Old 17-05-2017, 10:13   #44

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
OP,

I've tried road bikes, track bikes, MTB bikes and now Brompton folding bikes. Hands down the Bromptons are less trouble and solve all the major bike issues including storage. Believe me, nobody was more serious about cycling than me having competed in national championships etc and working on a world record attempt right up until I called it quits and went cruising. Wanna buy a high altitude training chamber? I've got two.

Here's what I've learned over the past seven years on a boat, bikes rust, cables seize up, your wonderful ride will turn to poop in no time no matter what you do or precautions you might take. I got tired of replacing cables every two months or sooner. A Brompton will give you the same workout usually in less time. When I ride 20 miles on the Brompton, it's the same work out as forty on my road bikes. The Brompton gets me into tight walkways in town where I can ride extremely slow on walking paths without the authorities telling me to walk my bike, can even do a track stand. I can also take it into stores with me, by placing it in a shopping carriage. Street shoes work fine. I can use a trailer behind the Brompton and the thing is built like a battleship to take abuse. It transfers easily into the dinghy. Your road bike WILL get soaked in the dinghy and rust up. I once fell in with one of my bikes while getting into the dinghy which finished off the bike. A Total loss, you might as well soak your bike in urine for a day, same outcome. When you see your pretty road bike getting splashed with sea water, next time think of it as pee.

Again, I finally gave up on the road bikes and MTB bikes last summer, and couldn't be happier with my decision. The Bromptons stay on the boat, and when I get home, the road bikes come out.

But do whatever you want, purchase a boat to house your bikes. Makes no sense at all to me after what I've experience first hand.

Karbon
If the guy is serious about cycling at all, he's not going to want a folding bike to train on.

For one thing, the geometry will be totally wrong

The saddle is probably ridiculously large.

Think he'll want to install clip-on pedals on a folder?

Also if he wants to get a real ride in say 50-100 miles, he will probably hurt something because the geometry and setup are simply wrong.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 10:25   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If the guy is serious about cycling at all, he's not going to want a folding bike to train on.

For one thing, the geometry will be totally wrong

The saddle is probably ridiculously large.

Think he'll want to install clip-on pedals on a folder?

Also if he wants to get a real ride in say 50-100 miles, he will probably hurt something because the geometry and setup are simply wrong.
I'm a serious cyclist, the geometry is exactly the same as his road bike if he buys the model with the flat handlebars.

He can change the seat to whatever he prefers, same as any bike... I did, now it's the same as my road bike.

The same clip on (clipless) pedals can be used on a Brompton if you wish, and the bike will still fold just as small. I like my titanium Speedplays.

I've ridden the Brompton more than 50 miles in one day and didn't hurt myself because the geometry is the same.

If you don't believe me, go to a bike store and try one out yourself and see just how wrong you are. I know I was shocked when I first rode a Brompton, then I was all smiles.

I go to California, I ride the track bike on the Olympic velodrome. I'm on the boat, I ride the Brompton in town.... same geometry, different banking, same workout.

Tags
hull, monohull, size