Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32   #1

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE
Mono or Multi Hull for Cruising the Med

I am brand new to this forum and would appreciate some guidance as I am looking to invest in a either a (approx) 40ft mono or Cat to cruise the Med over the next ten years plus. I live in Cape Town and am looking to buy a yacht (probably in SA but open to looking in the Med ) and keep it in the Med and it will be wonderful to go and explore the Med for a couple of weeks in the Northern hemisphere summer (our Winter!!) and then when I retire in about 5 years I will then do it for much longer preriods!! My thinking is that I will then also invite friends of ours (my wife and I) to join us for a week or two over this time ...... I dont want 6 people on the yacht! Or my grown up kids (2) ........ that is the background
What appeals to me about the monohulls that I have looked at so far is

1. Ease of sailing (for my wife and I) as some of our friends will lack sailing experience.
2. Ease of berthing space required. I beleive this can me an issue in a lots of ports in the Med (some countries more than others)
3. I am experienced in sailing mono's
4. Price (I realise this is a huge variable but it appears that monos for age and condition offer way better value than cats.)

What appeals about Cats (and then potentially negatives of monos)

1. Stability at mooring
2. Deck space
3. Saloon space
4. Ease of berthing due to two motors (yes a bow thruster will make a big difference to the mono)
5. Ease of launching and accessing an inflatible tender with a small motor (davets etc)
6. Saloon above the water line with better views and visabliity
7. Sailing and motoring speed
8. Two motors
9. Stability at sea

I am not looking for more than two cabins but three will also be fine and the main cabin must have seperate head and shower etc. and offer nice space and comfort!! . I realise that some cats come with the "owners edition" layout etc.

This post probably has much more to be said ....... but I guess I will leave that to the members as I am sure I have missed a ton of stuff!!!

I am open to specific yacht recommendations too!!

Thanks

Steve

Ps ......... Lambretta is my nickname from my Italian friends ....... long story!!
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:37   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I would say that if you are a " marina man" and it's your intention to use these on a regular basis, you will find it a pain if you have a CAT. After that you've pretty much laid out pros and cons. Personally I'm a mono man , but there a few Med based Cat sailors here.

Dave
Old 08-11-2013, 09:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mono or Multi hull for cruising the Med

I also prefer monohulls but a point to consider. You should compare prices not on a length basis but on a square foot basis. A 40' cat will have a lot more living space or sq ft that a 40' monohull.

Twin engines for docking can be handy but if you're trying to dock with a strong wind blowing across the slip the extra windage of a cat can still lead to a very exciting experience.

Yes a cat is general faster but once loaded down with all the amenities the speed difference is not as big as you might think.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:51   #4

Re: Mono or Multi Hull for Cruising the Med

I don't understand the ease of sailing comment. Non-sailors will be much more comfortable with a deck that isn't healed over 20 degrees. As far as sailors, what is more difficult about a catamaran?

As far as cost a 40' cat should probably be compared to a 50' mono or a 40' mono should be compared to a 35' cat. This will give you a more comparable living space (if you ignore the cave like life in a mono). It will also drastically cut down on the purchase price difference, though the cats will still tend to be a bit higher (it's hard to say exactly as there is more than just length to consider in the cost).

The only real knock against cats is from my research, they do tend to charge extra for cats in the med but if you have a shorter boat, that can mitigate it somewhat. (ie: at $1ft with a 50% cat surchage a 40' cat will be $60 and a 50' mono will be $50. $1ft is just to simplify the math not an example of pricing). So the question becomes is the nicer platform for living worth the extra cost?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I don't understand the ease of sailing comment. Non-sailors will be much more comfortable with a deck that isn't healed over 20 degrees. As far as sailors, what is more difficult about a catamaran?
The lack of healing is part of the ease of sailing issue. If you have up too much sail for the winds, with most monohulls it's pretty obvious. The boat is healed over, bashing and crashing, spray flying so even an inexperienced sailor might guess it's time to reef.

With a cat you aren't healed, faster boat speed may mask some of the true wind speed and an inexperienced sailor may leave up too much sail and break things, even lose the mast.
Old 08-11-2013, 13:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The lack of healing is part of the ease of sailing issue. If you have up too much sail for the winds, with most monohulls it's pretty obvious. The boat is healed over, bashing and crashing, spray flying so even an inexperienced sailor might guess it's time to reef.

With a cat you aren't healed, faster boat speed may mask some of the true wind speed and an inexperienced sailor may leave up too much sail and break things, even lose the mast.
Seriously? If you look at the sea you might notice the wind, or even the instruments. When was the last time you saw a production car under 10 years old lose mast? But seriously what is wrong with just looking at the sea.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously? If you look at the sea you might notice the wind, or even the instruments. When was the last time you saw a production car under 10 years old lose mast? But seriously what is wrong with just looking at the sea.
No there is nothing wrong with looking at the sea, checking the tension on your rigging, looking at boat speed, even feeling the wind on your face. All these and more are indicators to a practiced sailor for the wind conditions and that perhaps it might be time to reef. But please note, I was referring to inexperienced sailors. Maybe I should have said complete newbie sailors? My point is that the cues are a bit more subtle to someone with very little time on the water.

I didn't just make this up. It is an issue that I have seen addressed for new cat sailors. Read an article just a couple of months ago in one of the sailing mags written by a new cat sailor that left up too much sail too long resulting in a major problem. Forget if he capsized or lost the mast but he said in the article that realized too late that he should have reefed but at the time it wasn't that obvious him that it was that bad.

And I am not saying cats are inherently dangerous, only safe for experts, are in any way inferior to monohulls, are death traps or any other criticism. Just trying to answer the questions from the OP and point out an issue for a new cat sailor to be aware of.
Old 08-11-2013, 15:38   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Right here. Though it certainly isnt a SW ;-) damn frogs me thinks.

Though to be very fair, broken sticks are rare on all modern cruising boats. Racers and Fixer-uppers- thats a whole other story.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 18:28   #9

Quote:

If you are completely clueless, you can get in trouble sitting in a rocking chair.

Unless the guy is planning to hand it over to a non-sailor to take out without him, no reason this should be a concern.
Old 08-11-2013, 18:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are completely clueless, you can get in trouble sitting in a rocking chair.

Unless the guy is planning to hand it over to a non-sailor to take out without him, no reason this should be a concern.
In no way referring to the OP, but I have seen plenty of totally clueless people driving boats.

And I have seen someone fall out of a chair before. True it wasn't a rocking chair and I'm pretty sure alcohol was involved.
Old 08-11-2013, 19:04   #11

It really depends on what type of anchor you intend to select.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:24   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Heeling, not healing. As in, "show your heels". This post makes me think you're a faith healer! Be healed, you are SAVED! Lol....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:42   #13

Boat: Prout 46

My wife and I cruised and lived aboard a 46 foot monohull for several years. We now own a 46 foot catamaran. The catamaran is faster, more maneuverable, easier handled, and has LOADS more room. I figure at least 50% more interior space than our monohull. After making the switch, it's hard to imagine sailing anything else.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 20:01   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Heeling, not healing. As in, "show your heels". This post makes me think you're a faith healer! Be healed, you are SAVED! Lol....
Halleluiah!!
Old 08-11-2013, 20:09   #15

Quote:
In no way referring to the OP, but I have seen plenty of totally clueless people driving boats.

And I have seen someone fall out of a chair before. True it wasn't a rocking chair and I'm pretty sure alcohol was involved.
You missed the point. A totally clueless person on a mono is just as dangerous as on a catamaran.

Tags
cruising, hull