Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01   #31

Re: Mast Steps/Stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Uncivilized,

The question is/was genuine. I disagree with your statements, and I was asking for clarification of your position before I stated my case. No hate, or discontent intended however. Sorry that after several days, you feel that way. Maybe less coffee?

I've been on mooring balls and on anchor a few times when it's been blowing a stink and rockin n rollin. If the drag introduced by a dozen or so mast steps contributes much to the dynamics occurring at the time, I would be very surprised. And as to "bumping" and "breaking the anchor free", I would suggest that maybe there are other issues that may have been overlooked that would cause said "bumping", and "breaking the anchor free". Thanks for the explanation of heeling tendencies btw.

"Inefficient and dangerous"? Sigh...... No, sorry.....I need to get going this morning and don't wish to engage anymore than I already have.

No hate and discontent intended now, or earlier. You're wrong though and I don't want some new guy reading this and getting the same impression you have......cause like I said, you're wrong.
When I look at my mast and rigging, I wonder how much more windage could steps have than the standing and running rigging that is already there? I look at my neighbor's boat, the same length as mine, and my standing rigging seems to be about twice the diameter of his. Does that mean I have twice the windage of his boat already? I don't know.

I'd love to seem some mathematician give us the formula and tell us the real effect steps are likely to have from a wind resistance point of view. My suspicion, is that it is probably negligible.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:26   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Hilarious thread.

Only a few even tried to answer the OP's question. The rest used it as a personal opinion rant.

While I have my own opinion, if there was only one right answer to every question we would have only moderate fin keel sloops made from fiberglass. That does not serve your purpose? Bingo. Everyone wants something different from our boat, but mostly, we want a boat that we personally like. I'm guessing the OP likes mast steps.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Hilarious thread.

Only a few even tried to answer the OP's question. The rest used it as a personal opinion rant.

While I have my own opinion, if there was only one right answer to every question we would have only moderate fin keel sloops made from fiberglass. That does not serve your purpose? Bingo. Everyone wants something different from our boat, but mostly, we want a boat that we personally like. I'm guessing the OP likes mast steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123jashe View Post
I'm going to attach aluminum steps up each side of the mast. I have made and tested some of 1/8" x 1- 1/2" aluminum and they seem strong enough but I would like verification. Does anyone have experience building mast stairs/steps and will 1/8" x 1-1/2" be stiff enough or should I go with thicker metal? Thanks in advance.
I think it will be plenty strong enough.

I have no experience dealing with making mast steps.

I have no engineering or metallurgical background.

I think I like mast steps.

I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:46   #34
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post

I've been on mooring balls and on anchor a few times when it's been blowing a stink and rockin n rollin. If the drag introduced by a dozen or so mast steps contributes much to the dynamics occurring at the time, I would be very surprised. And as to "bumping" and "breaking the anchor free", I would suggest that maybe there are other issues that may have been overlooked that would cause said "bumping", and "breaking the anchor free". Thanks for the explanation of heeling tendencies btw.
What he said..............
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:19   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Carstenb
Thanks for the picture. Each of my steps will take about 20" of material. The aluminum (5052) I am using costs about $1/ft so making them is considerably cheaper and really pretty easy for me since I have a shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think it will be plenty strong enough.

I have no experience dealing with making mast steps.

I have no engineering or metallurgical background.

I think I like mast steps.

I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.
You're on a tear bud... Hilarious!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 19:11   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
I'm going to attach aluminum steps up each side of the mast. I have made and tested some of 1/8" x 1- 1/2" aluminum and they seem strong enough but I would like verification. Does anyone have experience building mast stairs/steps and will 1/8" x 1-1/2" be stiff enough or should I go with thicker metal? Thanks in advance.
Old thread. You might be off sailing.

I'm planning mast steps myself. Last boat had them and I do miss them.

Your width seems pretty typical compared to various DIY projects on the web, but most are cut from 5mm (3/16") sheet or flat bar.

If you went ahead with the specs above, how did 1/8" thickness work for you? Was there much flexing. I'm about 190 lbs if weight is an issue.

Cheers
Old 22-04-2019, 00:10   #37

Boat: Hans Christian Christina 40

Well I'd say they are a must for single handers and folding steps fit the bill.
Whisper 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 15:10   #38

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

couple of things; windage schmindage, give me a break; while i would prefer folding steps they are 3 times the price of the aluminium triangle steps, have the added danger of being able to slip off sideways and will probably be almost as much of a rope trap in windy conditions. I have ratlines to midmast and steps above, they have made it a pretty easy job to replace all my standing rigging with the boat on a swing mooring. And I use a harness, old blokes and ladders are a bad combination, you only fall once. I wouldnt bother making my own to save $13 each and the problems of weakening the aluminium in bending it 90* are another barrier but it would probably work ok and a nice little project if thats the way to go.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast