Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2010, 20:36   #1

Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
Making an Offer this Sunday - What Do You Think ?

We are heading down to check this one out on Sunday...

This will be our first boat, we will liveaboard.

Okay so, its a '77 Newport 30... it looks like its well taken care of, I will of course have a survey done though.

I have heard mixed reviews on these, but I have read of people sailing them all over the place without any problems...

I know they are not the ideal bluewater cruiser or anything, but from what I have read, they should have no problems making it to Canada, or Latin America?

So I seek your opinions on the model as well as this particular yacht, a link is below. I was thinking of offering $20k pending the survey, what do you think?

1977 Newport Mark II Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks!
shibbershabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 21:42   #2

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
only thing that jumped out at me was the rebuild, make sure it was done right and if the first survey pasts get an engine one also its about another $350 or so. Those Volvo Penta engines are a bitch of a cost with parts. They price them high.

Also, just there statements about making an appt. or visit on sundays seems a little hi pressure so be fore warned and don't let them push you into something you not sure about. Good luck and concrats on the boat
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 21:44   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Just thought I'd give you a link to some newports that are for sale and some that have been sold. It can help you with comparing the price range. Sorry I don't know newports, I think I have only been aboard one and have never sailed them. The owners seem to really like em. Have fun with your boat shopping :-)
Erika
Sailboat Newport 30 Library
Old 26-03-2010, 06:43   #4

Are you working with a buyer's broker? A good broker like this would run a search on recently sold boats of the same make/model/year and be able to tell you what the true market value is. I just did so for sales in the past 5 years and, based on a VERY QUICK review, it looks like this boat is priced high and your planned offer is also high. Admittedly, I didn't take the time to read the entire YW listing and compare the equipment on this boat to the ones sold, so more careful research is needed...

Gregg
SailsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 08:04   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
My Dad had a Newport 30 and they were nice boats. Very roomy and reasonably quick. Used to race them in SF bay and out the Golden Gate. That said I would look at getting a Yankee 30 if I planned on sailing it as far as Mexico. A little more solid boat and in the same price range. The boat shouldn't have a problem getting up to Canada or going down to Mexico but I would bring it back on a truck.

The people are obviously proud of their boat and have put that pride into the price. OTOH there may not be much work to do on the boat which is worth something. On your survey make sure that you run every system on th boat extensively. Look at all the sails and make sure that EVERYTHING works!

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote