Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 11:17   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: Looking at the cost of buying a used monohull 34-37' PRICE SHOCK (from a newbie)

I'm of the "go big and get it over with" camp.

First time I moved our cat (we started with a 50") it felt like driving a tennis court. Within a very short about of time it felt like driving a Prius. (I say driving tongue in cheek)

The caveat is if you have NO experience moving a larger boat get someone onboard who does, ply them with beer, and have them hang with you for an afternoon maneuvering. Learn to back up and all about prob walk, get to know how she behaves. Same with the sailing part.

If I'm delivering a boat that I don't know well I'll leave the slip and go find a safe place to throw her around a little bit. Has to be a dock or something hard nearby, that sharpens the mind ;-)

Take your time. A friend recently bought a 55' custom cat, his previous boat was a Hobie 16. He invited me onboard to "teach" him how to drive it. We left the dock and for the next few hours as we cruised up the ICW I had him pulling into and up to every empty dock we could find. While waiting for bridges he would back, spin, stop and even get her to "walk" sideways a bit. We actually ran over to West End that night and back the next day. That "burst" the mystery and soon after he was going solo and having a ball.

I did encourage him to take the boat out every chance he could and he did. This is the secret, build the muscle memory. Don't be afraid your vessel or to untie those lines, you are in charge and she will respond if you treat her lovingly and respectfully.

The sailing part? Yes, rent a few daysailers if need be and learn to sail, it's not rocket science. Again, entice your local racing friend to come aboard with a few mates, head out the inlet and put her through her paces, you'll get the feel.

Oh yea, and reef early, reef often ;-)

Have a ball! (you might like this article)

sailingohana

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:50   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: Looking at the cost of buying a used monohull 34-37' PRICE SHOCK (from a newbie)

Copperwood:
My method to body surfing is indicative of my approach to sailing...slowly into the water at my waist, acclimate to the cold, then move into water at my chest, acclimate, then dive under...sooo would advise buying smaller, my 1st was a day sailer, 2nd a 1984 catalina 27 (paid $5000), 3rd is my current 35 ft monohull. Began to learn about systems on the catalina so I can do most maintenance/upgrades. In new England so 2 baseline costs are slip (now in the town marina after 13 yr wait at approx. 1/2 cost of commercial marina - $2000/season) and winter storage $2100/season. Boat insurance is bundled w/ auto/home/etc, $483/season for $300,000 liability. If she sinks I get nothing, but paid cash with money left over for refit. About $14000 (new main, standing/running rigging, alternator, water pump, interior cushions, electronics) into her. So have a boat for < $40,000 that will sail anywhere. Now adding occasional "nice-to-haves" as budget allows. So would buy small, look for municipal marinas (if available in FL), bundle insurance and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. good luck in your search.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 12:00   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

If you are not going to live in it and if you are not going extensively cruising (where dockage becomes a minor cost) then why not just charter a boat?

Why are you buying a boat while you can charter one and live with 100% of the pleasure while shedding 99% of the costs?

If you already own a house and a car then sure a boat is a luxury and luxury goods come at a margin.

Are there no community owned marinas where you live? These tend to offer cheap berths. We paid 300 USD for full summer (6 mths) marina berth when we lived in Sweden. Of course, a private marina at the heart of the city was 6x the price.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 12:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Prices and costs are shocking upon first entry. Don't worry, you'll adjust your mindset. We sometimes laugh at ourselves, when we say "wow, that is not as expensive as I thought". When we first started, the same relative numbers would have us peeling ourselves off of the floor.

Yap, even newer boat need some always TLC. You will start notice how much it costs and how much you can do it yourself. But this is the part, budgeting is the fun of owing a boat, too.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 14:24   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The fixed costs of boat ownership are ridiculous.

What I have paid for summer dockage, winter storage, insurance, etc...all the fixed, non-optional costs...adds up the full purchase price of my boat every TWO years.

And that does not include any repairs, fuel, parts, or anything optional or fun...thats extra.

However, if I use the boat a lot, its a bargain compared to owning a cottage or taking a family vacation with a plane/hotel.

Boat ownership is only worth it if you use the boat. Thats why there are so many boats for sale...cheap!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 20:36   #21

Unhappy Re: Looking at the cost of buying a used monohull 34-37' PRICE SHOCK (from a newbie)

I don't say this to be flip, or to be cruel, or to be boasting. Only to point out that some truths are timeless. Remember J. P. Morgan's answer when asked, "How much does it cost to (buy and) maintain a yacht?" He said, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 17:17   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

My rule of thumb for small/med sailboats is that the running costs double for each extra 3 ft. Makes it with thinking about size, if a 33ft cost $200 per month a 36 would be $400 and a 39 $800!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 17:34   #23
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Consider a CSY 33. Plenty big for one couple and perfect Bahamas boat.
(I owned one for 14 years, did numerous Bahamas cruises)
Nowadays I rent docks in Fort Lauderdale, $12 per foot per month, storage only, no liveaboards.

A bigger boat is always nice if you have the budget.
I know a guy with a brand new 130' boat, he loves it but he is also filthy rich with 7 people on the pay-roll to run and maintain it.
For us normal people, go small and go now, unless you want to be a slave of your pay check.
Nature is the same in the Bahamas on a small and a big boat, no extra points or better experiences for paying twice as much for a 41' instead of a 33' boat.
Safety should be the same, so is comfort.
A bigger boat is usually faster due to water line length.
If you need to go fast however, get a power boat.
Old 22-04-2017, 19:38   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

The car guys used to say "buy used, pay cash and drive it into the ground". That is really good advice for boats too. There are lots of good and even "great" boats out there at prices one might be able to swing with cash. I think enjoyment of your boat is likely to increase if you reduce the sticker shock factor.
But, that may just be me.
Old 23-04-2017, 11:15   #25

I don't see any reply from OP,,,,,
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 11:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I started buying dockage when it was below 50¢ a foot. I quit before it got to $5. I may be cheap, but I don't like marina living anyway, too much like a trailer park. I have always been able to find a private or unused commercial dock for much less.
No there is no laundry, internet, and so on, but I have that on board anyway.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 12:46   #27

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The fixed costs of boat ownership are ridiculous.

What I have paid for summer dockage, winter storage, insurance, etc...all the fixed, non-optional costs...
All examples you have listed are optional. I did not pay either of them with my first two sailboats.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 05:56   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Fixed costs of running a boat are high but are boats supposed to be fixed?

Take your boat cruising or sailing and the fixed costs suddenly become way less.

And if you want just another condo, docked somewhere, well pay for it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, hull, monohull, price