Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 14:30   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Laminate Sails on a small Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
My 20’ boat has an average PHRF of 279.
Yeah, so that lets you know how slow the Westerly Centaur 26 is which is fine as long as you realize it will never be very fast no matter which sails you choose

And btw, an Olson 30 has a PHRf of 108 and has completed the 2100 mile Single Hand Transpac (SHTP) race numerous times

A Merit 25 has a PHRF or around 171 and has completed the SHTP
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 14:42   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Crucible View Post
Wow you guys have given me a lot to consider. Sounds like CF saved me a bunch of money in the near future at least. I might just buy a new mainsail for next year and worry about the rest later. BC to Alaska will probably involve way more motoring than I'd like to imagine anyway 😆.

Also sounds like an autopilot for sail changes is a worthwhile investment as heaving to loses a lot of "ground". Maybe a fancier sail is best for when I have some more experience.

Now buying the new engine won't be such a big deal. Thanks for the good advice, everyone
You need to read all of this website and look at the photos in each section and there are hundreds. We will see you in a fortnight when you have finished reading including how to take the keels off.

A Gentleman's Yacht: July 2009
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 14:53   #33

Yes it sounds like the PO of your boat was a decent skipper. Mine, however, should be stripped of his license permanently, Haha. I can't wait to see what's in my cockpit drain hoses. They were inaccessible when the fuel tank was in the boat but now that that is out I can see tons of silicone globs everywhere and single band clamps. Not to mention the heavily corroded seacocks on the bottom end. Let's just say I had the stop leak sealer within arms reach at all times this summer.
SV_Crucible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 14:59   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You need to read all of this website and look at the photos in each section and there are hundreds. We will see you in a fortnight when you have finished reading including how to take the keels off.

A Gentleman's Yacht: July 2009
Yes, I saw that keel project. I'll probably end up doing it in another country as I'm itching to head South and East. Ugly bit of toil that'll be. Right now the seams are pretty decent and water ingress typically limited to when the keels bang on the seabed a bit too hard which I generally avoid.
Old 25-08-2019, 15:00   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, so that lets you know how slow the Westerly Centaur 26 is which is fine as long as you realize it will never be very fast no matter which sails you choose

And btw, an Olson 30 has a PHRf of 108 and has completed the 2100 mile Single Hand Transpac (SHTP) race numerous times

Yes but he owns a Westerly Centaur. The objective is then to get it to sail properly without the normal disadvantages these yachts seem to have like worn out sails and a huge 3 bladed prop. Solve these, ensure the bottom is clean and keep the boat light, always a problem for a cruising boat and she will sail just fine.

SV, an autopilot will be essential for single handing as Thomm225 says.

You might look for really good second hand sails. We have a 80% jib 'just in case' which came from a keel racing boat. About 5oz and still crispy, its just racers like to change them almost yearly and we benefited to the tune of £50.

A cruising chute should also be high on the list if you have light winds.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 15:02   #36

Quote:

Yep, my boat is slow in light airs. Under a spinnaker it gets up to hull speed easily, though. I'll never race it, no interest but I want to know how to use it to the best of it's capabilities.

It's sure nice in rough weather though😎
Old 25-08-2019, 15:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes but he owns a Westerly Centaur. The objective is then to get it to sail properly without the normal disadvantages these yachts seem to have like worn out sails and a huge 3 bladed prop. Solve these, ensure the bottom is clean and keep the boat light, always a problem for a cruising boat and she will sail just fine.

SV, an autopilot will be essential for single handing as Thomm225 says.

You might look for really good second hand sails. We have a 80% jib 'just in case' which came from a keel racing boat. About 5oz and still crispy, its just racers like to change them almost yearly and we benefited to the tune of £50.

A cruising chute should also be high on the list if you have light winds.

Pete
Yes a cruising chute is #2 on the priority list second only to the mainsail. If it's anything like my spinnaker, I'm going to love it 😀
Old 25-08-2019, 15:27   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Crucible View Post
Yep, my boat is slow in light airs. Under a spinnaker it gets up to hull speed easily, though. I'll never race it, no interest but I want to know how to use it to the best of it's capabilities.

It's sure nice in rough weather though��
Who needs a spinnaker when you can go wing and wing especially if you are not in a hurry?

Under Raymarine autopilot. Headed South

Exceeding hull speed here with 95% jib only with a stuck furler. Winds gusting to 29 knots near the York River Chesapeake Bay headed South
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 23:33   #39

Quote:
Who needs a spinnaker when you can go wing and wing especially if you are not in a hurry?

Under Raymarine autopilot. Headed South

Exceeding hull speed here with 95% jib only with a stuck furler. Winds gusting to 29 knots near the York River Chesapeake Bay headed South
Me! Haha. Not only is it desirable for me to reduce mainsail chafe but my spinnaker gets me going more or less the same speed as the wind I'm talking in sub 5kt winds, though. Something that is very typical in BC during summer. Wing on wing I was making 1.5kts SOG and with Spinnaker it was around 3. Well worth it. Plus I like looking at it

Guess you're not jealous of me and my boat
Old 06-09-2019, 09:15   #40

In your case woven sails are the way to go. I had laminate sails on my race boat. We did 7, 5 race regattas a year. I replaced the jib every year. I used that for the Wednesday night races. After every sail we carefully would roll the sails up and put them in PVC tubes so they would get a crease in them. Laminate sails are like wire. You bend them enough and they break.

I had a trimaran that I bought that had laminate sails with Kevlar threads glued along the load. They delaminated soon after.

North sails has a product called 3Di. It is their answer to a better woven sail. Haven't owned on so I can give you any opinion. In talking to a Sailmaker I know who has a racing background sells woven 95% of the time to cruisers. He says it's the way to go for price/longevity
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail, sails