Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2012, 10:53   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5
cruising laminate sails

My old cruising laminate sail (on my Bristol 35.5) finally gave up the ghost (12 years isn't bad) and I enjoyed the ability of the sail to keep its shape during its life. The downside to this sail was the mildew problem, probably why this type of sail is no longer made.

My sailmaker has suggested I go to a sail made of Contender sail cloth, "CDX-7" feeling it will last as long as my previous sail but not have as great a mildew problem. Try as I might I have not found many opinions concerning this material (save for the Contender website).

Has anyone used this? Opinions?
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 15:45   #2

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: cruising laminate sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrin View Post
My old cruising laminate sail (on my Bristol 35.5) finally gave up the ghost (12 years isn't bad) and I enjoyed the ability of the sail to keep its shape during its life. The downside to this sail was the mildew problem, probably why this type of sail is no longer made.

My sailmaker has suggested I go to a sail made of Contender sail cloth, "CDX-7" feeling it will last as long as my previous sail but not have as great a mildew problem. Try as I might I have not found many opinions concerning this material (save for the Contender website).

Has anyone used this? Opinions?
The last two boat shows I was at had several vendors prominently displaying laminate sails. Barcelona had at least 5 of these guys, and Annapolis had at least 2 (that I saw) and probably others I didn't see.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 15:57   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
CDX is a laminate. I think they call it a "cruising laminate." It's made specifically for tri-radial sails. If you're going to use a furler (you didn't mention whether this was your main or jib) you might be better off with Contender's ACL laminate. If you're going with a cross-cut sail, you might be better off with one of the laminates they make specifically for those cuts.
Old 05-11-2012, 16:27   #4

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Thanks, Bash. Yes, I am going to furl it. Interestingly, I was told by contender that the ACL is more for racing, however, and CDX was better for cruising with a furler. A bit confusing, indeed, and I am trying to muddle through it all.

Regards, Steven
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 16:44   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Thanks, Bash. Yes, I am going to furl it. Interestingly, I was told by contender that the ACL is more for racing, however, and CDX was better for cruising with a furler. A bit confusing, indeed, and I am trying to muddle through it all.

Regards, Steven
Gotta be careful the sales staff isn't just pitching to the type of sailor you are ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sails