Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 17:50   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Kelly Peterson 46

Can someone please tell me how i can tell a Kelly Petersen 46 from a Formosa 46. What i have learnt so far is the following.

a. A formosa 46 is an extended version of the KP 44

b. There is no such thing as a Petersen 46 only a K.P. 46

c. The KP'S are a higher build quality then the Formosa's

But how do i tell a genuine K.P 46 from a Formosa 46 .

I'm about to make an offer on a KP 46 but i think it may be a Formosa 46 !

The yacht i want to buy has the saloon table on the port side and has teak decks .

Any info on telling the difference would be appreciated.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 23:37   #2

Re: KELLY PETERSEN 46

Peterson 44s were sold in a number of different configurations, and names. The one I used to own was a Stevens Yacht 44 that was the charter version that was (I believe) only different in that it didnt have teak decks(thank heaven) and lots more water tankage than the KP44. It also didnt come with the rigging for a staysail. It had the mast hardware for the staysail, but not the deck fittings. I was on board a few KP44s and never noticed any other difference. I was only on board one Formosa 46 and found the differences to be mostly cosmetic ie, the style of the woodwork was different, but not better or worse, it had teak decks(ugh) and I think some minor cockpit differences. I actually liked the F46 in that it had a difference in the chain plates(i dont remember what the difference was) and it had a nice deep sump under the engine. The Stevens 44 didnt have much of a bilge sump, and I thought it should have. I also delivered a KP44 from Hawaii to Calif and found very few differences. My 44 had a Perkins 4-154 and the F46 that I was on had a Ford(Lehman) and the one I delivered had a Perkins 4-108. They are all wonderful sailing boats but all of the Taiwan stainless steel should be closely inspected, and the black iron fuel tanks. I think Jack Kelly Yachts is still in buisiness, so you might want to contact them for more information. Also do the search feature here, since I think they have been discussed before. If it surveys good, you wont go wrong with a Peterson 44/46. ____My 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 23:43   #3

Also I forgot. Get the hull ID number from the starboard stern transome area, and it will tell you what yard built the boat. I dont know how to do it, but I believe the Coast Guard web site can tell you the manufacturer. Good Luck.___Grant.
Old 17-01-2013, 07:52   #4

Boat: Stevens 47
Check out this site

http://www.kp44.org/

The kp46 is a lot more boat than the kp44/Formosa 46
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 08:12   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Easy to tell which is which. Check the HIN. The Kelly Petersen will start with JKY (abbreviation for "Jack Kelly Yachts") and the Formosa will start with FBB ("Formosa Boat Builders")

If the HIN appears to have been altered in any way, walk away from the boat, and then report it to the USCG.
Old 17-01-2013, 09:36   #6

S/V Thea, I looked thru the link you posted, but I didnt see anything that clarified the differences between the variants. What is it that makes the KP so superior to the F 46? I think Doug Peterson got screwed out of the royalties by Formosa Boat Builders, but I saw very little difference in Quality. I am curious?_____Grant.
Old 17-01-2013, 09:47   #7

"What is it that makes the KP so superior to the F 46?"
The Formosa's are built by one of the lower quality chinese yards. Likely way over built as far as hull goes though. Those teak decks have most likley saturated the core of the sub deck. IF someone has done a bunch of work, it could be a great boat. If not it could be a big project. Not sure which one you are looking at, but there was one in the PNW last year at pretty much a give away price..(29K?)
Everyone seems to like the design ....
The Formosa may have a much nicer teak interior, some of the KP44's had a pretty plainish interior with a lot of white surfaces... kinda nice if you like it though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 10:04   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I have been on both and the difference is night and day. But if the boat your looking at is under 100k, older then 1984, or u have to bend down walking to the aft stateroom it's a Formosa 46. If its latter in the 1980's closer to the 200k mark and u don't have to bend over going to the aft stateroom it's going to be a Peterson 46. There are many, many other things that are different such as the aft stateroom layout is very different. If you can post a link that has a few pics and description I could tell you for sure.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 21:44   #9

Still being curious, I googled KP46 and learned a lot, but it still left me with some questions. I could not see how with the same side profile as the 44, that it was possible to have a walk thru rather than a duck thru? After looking thru a lot of photos I realized that they had raised the cockpit sole and seats to allow the walk thru. It looks like it makes for a much shallower cockpit that I think would be less comfortable at sea or in port. I very much liked the lockers on the aft deck. I Thought that the cubby hole of a work shop was a good idea, but wondered what they did with the fuel tank that was in that spot on the 44. I also didnt like the galley being cut up by the entrance to the work shop. I also was not impressed by the front opening fridge that seems more suited to a dock queen than a sea boat. The interior is stunningly beautiful and looks good for port or sea. I still think that any of the Peterson 44/46 variants that pass a rigid survey will make a wonderful boat. Since all of these boats are at least 23 years old and some are close to 40 years old, the teak decks and especially the stainless steel should be very closely inspected. I hope the OP keeps us up to date on what he discovers and how the survey turns out._____Grant.
Old 19-01-2013, 16:44   #10
TOM

Thank you for all your replies but I'm now more confused then ever . There appears to be no Definative way to identify a K.P 46 from a Formosa 46 other then the Hin no which can be easily changed . At first i thought that all KP 46 had the dinette on the starboard side but from looking at various plans it appears not .Both yachts came with the option of teak decks . It does seem that the Formosa's had the Ford Lehmann 80hp but this was a popular motor around that time . From what i can tell is the KP 46 had a slightly offset companionway as opposed to the F46 . But at the end of the day i still am no wiser.
Old 19-01-2013, 18:09   #11
TOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Thea View Post
Check out this site

Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome

The kp46 is a lot more boat than the kp44/Formosa 46
Thanks for the link , some good reading
Old 19-01-2013, 22:42   #12

Tom, I think both Jack Kelly Yachts and Doug Peterson are still in buisiness . If you call or Email both of them with your exact question, I expect you will get a clear answer. While it is possible to change an HIN number, it is not very likely. How well it surveys is probably your main concern. Good Luck.____Grant.
Old 20-01-2013, 06:10   #13
TOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Tom, I think both Jack Kelly Yachts and Doug Peterson are still in buisiness . If you call or Email both of them with your exact question, I expect you will get a clear answer. While it is possible to change an HIN number, it is not very likely. How well it surveys is probably your main concern. Good Luck.____Grant.
Thanks, I will try and contact them. I know both are good boats but it does appear that the kp's demand alot more money .
Old 20-01-2013, 08:53   #14

Boat: Stevens 47
The F46 is a copy of KP44, about a foot longer, quality/finishing etc is about the same and selling prices are similar. More dependant on how the individual boat has been looked after rather that model. The KP46 is much higher end boat and has always been about double the price of the other two.

If you are seriously interested in any these boats you should join the Peterson cutter yahoo group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PetersonCutter/ , the group is quite active and lots of owners who would be happy to answer your questions.
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 04:37   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 50

This should not be that hard. If the boat your looking at has a V-birth in the front and in the back IT'S A FORMOSA!! If you look at yachtworld put in Peterson 46 get 3 hits. The 1985 for 165k and the 1982 for 185k. Then there is that 1978 for 120k which is the Formosa and looks Nothing like the other 2. The only way these boats can be mistaken for one another is a side profile shot from a long way away. The second you go inside them they could not be more different in every way. With out making anyone mad here these two boats are like comparing a oyster to a hunter.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peterson