Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 11:41   #1

Boat: Shopping for coastal cruiser
Hunter Vision 36, do they sail well?

Hi, new to the group, great forum here.
I'm considering a freestanding mast boat, the hunter Vision 36, built between 1991 and 1995? I know that it was designed as a beginners boat, and that they don't point well, but beyond that do they sail well?
My point of reference is 12 different weeks of sailing 38'-52' charter boats in the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands (always 3rd week of March, good wind!) Hunters, Beneteaus, Jenneaus, Sweden, and Catalinas.
I don't know if I'll be happy with a Vision. Not pointing well is a bit of an issue, how 'not well' I wonder.
I love the huge main salon, walk thru transom not to mention no shrouds or stays, with rigging being about $7K-$8K for a 36 foot boat, and replacing it every 7 years or so (according to Mark in West Marine rigging shop) I'd love to invest that $1000 per year elsewhere on the boat.
Everybody at the Hunter Vision forum loves their boats, but perhaps they are not coming from the same boats I am.
Any help, comments about this unique boat would be much appreciated.
Here's more info on the boat if anyone is interested:
Sailboat Knowledge Base
I feel the boats are underappreciated right now, and inexpensive $60-$70K for very nice boats. I plan to use it up and down the west coast and San Juan Islands, but sure I wouldn't want to get caught in any serious weather with it, not looking for a bluewater boat.
If this boat isn't the right boat for me, I'll probably go with a 1990s Beneteau between 36 and 42 feet.
Thanks!
Oregon Patrick
Oregon Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 14:06   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Not exactly familiar with a Vision 36. I currently sail a 3 year-old Hunter 36 in a SailTime program. A couple of things I can say about it is that it is remarkably fast for a boat with no real way of tuning the mast, negative roach, no battens, etc. A nice boat for coastal cruising or daysailing. Frankly, the no-backstay idea is a little creepy to me, but it does have its advantages and i am getting used to it. However, there is no denying that it does not point well, and the quickness doesn't really make up for this. Also, the quality of the deck is extremely low, any small impact will damage it. However, for what you're talking (no blue water), it's not a bad boat. I wouldn't buy one, but i don't mind sailing on it at all.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 05:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Review: Hunter Vision 36 ~ by Bob Perry
boats.com - Boat Review/Test: Perry Design Review: Hunter Vision 36

Owners’ Reviews:
Hunter Vision-36 owner reviews

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter