Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39   #76

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
My credentials concerning this is yacht design, manufacturing, and I own a whole sale marine business.
Because someone sells bandages doesn't make him a physician.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:42   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
Divisive, malignant people have no place here.
Comments like that have no place anywhere. If you can't support your perceptions, please try to avoid taking it personally.

So where are you going?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Rich folks are not the only ones that like to go sailing,so if your out to make money it makes more since to build boats that the majority can afford, enter, Hunter..they sale more sailboats then any other US boat builder and this allows more people, that other wise could not, be able to go sailing...long live Hunter and there cheap boats,you want to sail around the world, might be better off buying some other boat...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13   #79

I agree, there is good information here. Any boat that draws this much controversy for a specific purpose (offshore sailing) I would seriously reconsider that boat as an option. There are so many other boats out there where I do not see same debates when brought up as possible offshore boats.

I don't see where anyone is saying they are not good day/weekend/ close coastal boats, are they????

I am looking and learning, please keep up these debates.

Now, tying to determine who actually knows what they are talking about (actual experience offshore, different boats in weather etc etc) and others that don't, is another concern in itself.
timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33   #80
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Because someone sells bandages doesn't make him a physician.
Poor analogy. No Physician needed. All it takes is adequate research to know that circa ‘80’s chopper gunned boats are ALL questionable entities when considering offshore work.

Why not answer my question. Seems like you are avoiding it…

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45   #81
CLOD

Boat: none

I would take my Hunter anywhere! I've very positive I know more about it that anyone else! And the only modification I would need is to rig the jacklines.

Doesn't mean I would take some other boat I don't know anything about regardless of the "name" on it!

Far as blinking, I have had more results talking to a tree in the past! It was healthy and in full bloom and I tried to tell it that I saw one the other that was dead and therefore it must be dead also.

Far as the Hunter 54 all I've learned on this thread is that some have done work on them and they were solid, that they may have flexing, but it sounds like they we are still sailing. So it sounds like a good boat if it matches what you are looking for in the whole boat package.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Poor analogy. No Physician needed. All it takes is adequate research to know that circa ‘80’s chopper gunned boats are ALL questionable entities when considering offshore work.

Why not answer my question. Seems like you are avoiding it…

RT

This is a place for objective comments, not personal insults for making your point whatever it is. First you claim knowledge based on being in the retail merchandise business, now it's "research". The metaphor stands.

As to your question, I have taken a stock H offshore. No "research" needed. How's that for "avoiding" it?

Too bad folks with nothing responsive to add except perception feel compelled to chime in - must be the need to sound authoritative.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05   #83
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Too bad folks with nothing responsive to add except perception feel compelled to chime in - must be the need to sound authoritative.

It's because those of us with first hand knowledge are less creditable that some 4th, 5th, ...... 20th person internet story person.

I can easily accept that some Hunters aren't/weren't good. But wonder why others can not accept that that doesn't mean that some are very good!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03   #84

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion

Comments like that have no place anywhere. If you can't support your perceptions, please try to avoid taking it personally.

So where are you going?
Yes but your problem is you make it personal rather than ask for why I believe what I do. You just assume when some disagrees with you that they have to be wrong. That perception is ignorance in itself.
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10   #85

Self-delusion must be a great place to live...

Hopefully we can devote whatever remains of this discussion to objective factual statements.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:29   #86

I used to believe what I read in the forums... then I saw a whole bunch of hunters doing just fine when I came down in my own boat (which also isn't supposed to work) from the Chesapeake to Florida last winter.

Now I know better. It's not the boat, it's the captain. When it is the boat, it's all about 3 specific things: Condition, condition, and condition. The name on the side is a very distant 4th place (or 5th, or 12th, or... )

At least, that's been my experience.
CapTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapTim View Post
I used to believe what I read in the forums... then I saw a whole bunch of hunters doing just fine when I came down in my own boat (which also isn't supposed to work) from the Chesapeake to Florida last winter.

Now I know better. It's not the boat, it's the captain. When it is the boat, it's all about 3 specific things: Condition, condition, and condition. The name on the side is a very distant 4th place (or 5th, or 12th, or... )

At least, that's been my experience.

Thanks for writing a substantive comment. That's my experience as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00   #88
Marine Service Provider

I know a fellow that has a 84 Hunter 33 , it has only been sailed on a rather small fresh water lake and the support for the mast on the inside of the boat that runs from side to side is busted open,fiberglass and the wood beam are both "twisted"...I have never seen this before but if that can happen to a boat that is being sailed on a small lake no telling what could go wrong on the open ocean without a fine pre-flight investigation and subsequint major repairs...of course this could be anyboat,anyone else have major problems with there boats?Is there a record or file that informs people about boat (specific) major problems? If someone was going to buy an airplane they could go to the FAA website and look at a given aircraft and see all incident reports and aircraft (specific) problems..if this has not been done please do not tell anyone because I intend to publish such a record...and we will call this thread my "Poormans Patent"..DVC
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02   #89

I to deliver boats, and have approximately 120,000 NM ocean experience. A Catalina, Hunter, Irwin, Gulfstar or a Morgan would not be my choice of purchase for open ocean
passages.
Gpser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04   #90
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpser2 View Post
I to deliver boats, and have approximately 120,000 NM ocean experience. A Catalina, Hunter, Irwin, Gulfstar or a Morgan would not be my choice of purchase for open ocean
passages.
What do you think about Odays? the 39.9 perticular..

Tags
hunter