Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 08:52   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Hunter 30 Shaft problem. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
Knees on the bottom of the hull. Pull with a gentle rocking motion. Im a strong guy.
With a weak strut, apparently. Struts are typically solid bronze around half an inch thick (or more.) I can't imagine being able to bend one by hand.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:53   #17

Boat: Hunter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Hopefully yes. It depends on it's condition. If it's in good condition and just needs to be straightened then a machine shop can do it for you. There are ways to do it your self; Garry Goodlander talks about that in Buy, Outfit, and Sail.

Ounce out of the water I would just start taking it apart. Take off the prop, separate the transmission coupling and then take a look at the stuffing box and key issue.

You might want to just cut out the old shaft and get a new one. You likely have a bronze shaft and it might have scoring from the stuffing box from before this problem. Now add damage from this incident and you might just be better off going new. I just replaced my shaft and it cost about $100 for the shaft and about $150 for machining to have it fit to my coupling and prop.

Do an internet search for Compass Marine how to articles. Read about changing to a PSS. That article talks about removing the shaft. It should help you figure out what you need to do.
The Shaft is Stainless Steel, looks new, like <5 years old, thats why I think it isnt bent. Its 1" also. The coupling is almost touching the stuffing box, The key has got to be jammed. The shaft wants to turn, but the stuffing box turns with it. Im pretty sure thats my MAIN problem, now the shaft being straight. I really dont know, I did bring down a perfectly true rod and it looks straight. I am a diver and I understand the tricks water plays on the eyes, but Im putting money on a straight shaft. Also, who isnt to stay the previous owner slightly bent the strut? I mean its almost straight, I just noticed it isnt true. Which I will fix next week.

I dont know how else to get the key out, but im not touching squat until she is on land.
KemoSabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:06   #18

It's possible the shaft is still straight. A bar like that can bend a bit before taking a permanent set. Hopefully the key has not destroyed your stuffing box. All will be solved when you get it apart. Is your strut bolted on or embedded in the glass?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:14   #19
cruiser

You seem to want us to say the shaft is straight enough and bending the strut is good enough. Your really pushing to just hack it back together. You shouldn't be able to bend any strut by hand.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19   #20
cruiser

If the shafts bent it would be most likely in the end still in the boat. Pull of all apart. Roll the shaft on a flat surface.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55   #21

Whatever needs fixed will be fixed. The plan is to disassemble at minimum. Then go from there, I found a local 1" SS shaft for 100$ in good shape. worse comes to worst; I might swap to PSS which is also found local for 100$ at local trading post. All these things depend on life left if any.

Im not going to put the boat back into the water unless its a happy boat.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's possible the shaft is still straight. A bar like that can bend a bit before taking a permanent set. Hopefully the key has not destroyed your stuffing box. All will be solved when you get it apart. Is your strut bolted on or embedded in the glass?
I think its embedded, I dont recall seeing bolts.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:42   #23

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
Whatever needs fixed will be fixed. The plan is to disassemble at minimum. Then go from there, I found a local 1" SS shaft for 100$ in good shape. worse comes to worst; I might swap to PSS which is also found local for 100$ at local trading post. All these things depend on life left if any.

Im not going to put the boat back into the water unless its a happy boat.
Keep in mind that you really should fit and face the shaft (either yours if straightening is needed or the new one) to the coupling. Also keep in mind that straight to the eye and straight on a lathe with a gauge are totally different. Like others have said, rolling it on the ground will tell you. The shop where I bought my brand new shaft checked it and did a little minor straightening on it.

Now $100 for a PSS is super cheap. Less than half price. Doesn't seem right. I just put a PSS on my boat this year and it was $225 for the unit alone. Then I added an additional collar clamp for safety for another $30. If you don't go with the PSS, don't miss the chance to change out the hose on the stuffing box. Cheap materials (make sure you get stuffing box hose not exhaust hose) and given the stress it was under and the estimated life of the hose you are far better changing it now.

Make sure you check out the Compass Marine how to articles. The guy who owns the site puts a lot of info into each article. So even if you are not doing the exact project he has you will likely find some really useful information.

I would bet the your strut is bolted on but the bottom has fairing compound to cover the area. So you would have to remove the fairing compound to remove the strut. After you either put the old strut back on or a new strut you would use fairing compound to smooth the area prior to bottom painting.

It's a good size job but not an end of the boat season one. With all of the parts you could probably get it done in 2-4 days of work.

You might also want to consider adding a shaft line cutter while you are at it. I have the Shaft Shark and I am reasonably happy with it. You never really know how well they work but I think mine has saved me twice all ready.

Good luck,

Jesse
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Keep in mind that you really should fit and face the shaft (either yours if straightening is needed or the new one) to the coupling. Also keep in mind that straight to the eye and straight on a lathe with a gauge are totally different. Like others have said, rolling it on the ground will tell you. The shop where I bought my brand new shaft checked it and did a little minor straightening on it.

Now $100 for a PSS is super cheap. Less than half price. Doesn't seem right. I just put a PSS on my boat this year and it was $225 for the unit alone. Then I added an additional collar clamp for safety for another $30. If you don't go with the PSS, don't miss the chance to change out the hose on the stuffing box. Cheap materials (make sure you get stuffing box hose not exhaust hose) and given the stress it was under and the estimated life of the hose you are far better changing it now.

Make sure you check out the Compass Marine how to articles. The guy who owns the site puts a lot of info into each article. So even if you are not doing the exact project he has you will likely find some really useful information.

I would bet the your strut is bolted on but the bottom has fairing compound to cover the area. So you would have to remove the fairing compound to remove the strut. After you either put the old strut back on or a new strut you would use fairing compound to smooth the area prior to bottom painting.

It's a good size job but not an end of the boat season one. With all of the parts you could probably get it done in 2-4 days of work.

You might also want to consider adding a shaft line cutter while you are at it. I have the Shaft Shark and I am reasonably happy with it. You never really know how well they work but I think mine has saved me twice all ready.

Good luck,

Jesse

The PSS deal is at a local marine trading post, which is either second hand or bought at wholesale etc etc. They have two PSS systems (complete) for 109$ or so, just dont know if I want a dripless. At minimum ill be changing my hose, its nasty from the stuffing box trying to turn.

Ive been researching my current issue, I think I understand what needs to happen etc.

Tags
hunter