Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30   #1

Boat: Hunter 30
Exclamation Hunter 30 Shaft problem. Help!

Okay, long story short;

Just repowered vessel, finally got her going, took her out. yada yada.

The other day cranked her up, put her in gear, a loose crab trap from a neighboring vessel wrapped my shaft.

It pulled my motor towards the stern and sucked my prop two inches backwards to stern. through my stuffing box.

My strut is mildly mildly bent, nothing crazy, shaft is still straight.

Here is my issue, the shaft wont spin. No forward travel, no reverse travel, I have removed my motor and still the shaft wont move. Is there a bearing inside my stuffing box? How should I go about fixing this?

Also, legal advice?
KemoSabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35   #2
cruiser

Re: Hunter 30 Shaft problem. Help!

It the ropes no longer wrapped on it, and it won't turn, it might be slightly bent. Have you hauled to deal with the strut ?
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43   #3

I have not pulled her yet.

Im a diver and would be more willing to pull shaft in water and plug, then try to remedy. Let me explain more;

When I dove the bottom, I straightened the strut slightly almost back to true. When I try to turn the propeller underwater the shaft will move on both sides of the strut very minimally, but it does move slightly, so I think the issue is in the stuffing box end. When I try to turn the collar on the inside of the boat, the stuffing box wants to turn with it. any ideas?

Should I take the collar off and dismantly stuffing box? I could push the shaft through and plug no problem. What the hell would keep my shaft from spinning.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03   #4
cruiser

The smallest bend would bind it between the two mounting points. A 1" shaft bends pretty easy, hard to tell without rolling it on a flat surface. Not really much to bind in a stuffing box. Its pretty normal for the shaft to bend as it pulls to one side and bends the strut over. You really want to have all this stuff spot on and bending the strut back may not get it 100%.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05   #5

Did it suck the key into the stuffing box with the shaft? that would seize it up. You need to get that boat out of the water and get everything realigned and proper. Likely need a new cutlass bearing and strut.
Are you saying there was a pot in the marina? A loose pot sinks right? the line was floating? Unclear to me. Could you see the line?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:17   #6

Boat: Catalina 310

Haul the boat. You really need to do a detailed inspection of the strut. The fact that you could bend it while diving on the boat is a concern. You need to check to the bedding and make sure it is actually true by measuring it, not just by eye.

Same for the shaft. How do you know it's not bent from looking at it under water? Did you put a gauge on it?

Take the opportunity to replace your stuffing box hose, do a cleaning and repacking of the stuffing box, replace your cutlass bearing and really check the strut and shaft.

As far as legal advice, contact a lawyer. Way too many questions for forum people to answer. Does your marina allow crab pots at slips? Was it marked? Did you see it but not take proper care to avoid it? etc.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:42   #7

Legal concern;
Guy has like five pots, dont know if the marina allows it. Loose pot, free rope. His rope it matches the other pots and the other ropes.

I think the key is what is stuck, it is sucked into the stuffing box gland. Im pretty sure thats whats wrong. How do I remedy that? Remove the collar and then what?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:26   #8
cruiser

I doubt even if crab pots are not allowed you have any leg to stand on. Most marinas are use at your own risk. Plus he could claim you damaged his pot not the other way around.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55   #9

Legally, im not worried, I just want my boat fixed.

How do I pull that shaft back forward?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02   #10
cruiser

I know you don't wanna haul, but the strut needs to come off. Stuff that gets bent rarely ever goes back to it's 100% shape. Just 1* out on any direction will wear out the cutlass quickly. And it's hard to believe the shaft didn't get bent if the strut got pulled over.
Old 02-04-2014, 13:22   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you can not rotate the shaft, how can you tell if it is bent? Eyeballs are nowhere near good enough in this case.

Jim
Old 02-04-2014, 20:50   #12

Boat is being pulled next week. Im fairly certain I need to get the key dislodged from the shaft log. Is it possible to get my shaft trued?
Old 02-04-2014, 21:37   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
When I dove the bottom, I straightened the strut slightly almost back to true.
How the hell did you do that?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:04   #14

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
Boat is being pulled next week. Im fairly certain I need to get the key dislodged from the shaft log. Is it possible to get my shaft trued?

Hopefully yes. It depends on it's condition. If it's in good condition and just needs to be straightened then a machine shop can do it for you. There are ways to do it your self; Garry Goodlander talks about that in Buy, Outfit, and Sail.

Ounce out of the water I would just start taking it apart. Take off the prop, separate the transmission coupling and then take a look at the stuffing box and key issue.

You might want to just cut out the old shaft and get a new one. You likely have a bronze shaft and it might have scoring from the stuffing box from before this problem. Now add damage from this incident and you might just be better off going new. I just replaced my shaft and it cost about $100 for the shaft and about $150 for machining to have it fit to my coupling and prop.

Do an internet search for Compass Marine how to articles. Read about changing to a PSS. That article talks about removing the shaft. It should help you figure out what you need to do.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
How the hell did you do that?
Knees on the bottom of the hull. Pull with a gentle rocking motion. Im a strong guy.

Tags
hunter