Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 19:29   #46

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Help inspecting a WWP19

"The manual is pretty unclear on the mast raising system they offer. It states that with roller furling, which I have, there have to be two people to raise the mast. I can't put much stock into that; I must be missing something somewhere."

When you're ready I can send photos of the one we've made for Whippy. We also did a bit different version for our International Folkboat 26 with a much longer and heavier mast so we have a couple different options to copy.
Old 21-05-2015, 13:05   #47

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
When you're ready I can send photos of the one we've made for Whippy. We also did a bit different version for our International Folkboat 26 with a much longer and heavier mast so we have a couple different options to copy.
Great! That should be a big help.

There's a Family fun day being sponsored at my sailing club (Which I have officially joined, btw) on Saturday. I won't take my boat, but I'll go with the kids and hopefully get to know some (more) people there, and the kids will get some free sailing lessons to boot. I'd love to get my own boat on the water again, but it won't happen until I fix and waterproof the trailer lights.

I also ordered a windvane, LED bulbs for my nav lights (a compromise for now...I might replace the fixtures sometime down the road.) and a pair of LED cabin lights. I should have plenty of time over the long holiday to get everything installed.

As for the cabin cushions, a thorough drying and a couple rounds of Febreeze have done wonders. I have them all out of the boat where they can get some air and they are easier to spritz. I'm considering popping some cedar pieces into the cushions along the zipper, where they won't be felt, to help combat the stale air smell. Might not be needed considering I won't leave everything buttoned up and air can circulate, but I can't see cedar being a problem either.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 16:38   #48

You can take the covers off the cushions and wash them, wash cool, air dry. They are a bear to get back in the covers but doable.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 19:36   #49

I love the wwp boats. Congrats on the boat and many happy summers sailing it. The best thing about those boats is the trailerability and construction seems really blood. I have craved one for years and maybe in the future we will that route.

Pls post pics of the boat sailing maybe a video. I'm curious to see how it performs. The only thing i would suggest is a boomkicker. Only about 100$ for a boat that size and makes raising mainsail so easy no need for a topping lift.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 15:32   #50

@Schrewsburydou

I'll try to post sailing pics and vids soon. I'll have to wait until I actually sail it though

I did get some things done...and now I need more projects.

Crossed off the list today:

Rebedded stern nav light,
Replaced nav bulbs with LED,
Replaced cabin light fixture with LED,
Installed Windex on mast,
Made a temporary outboard bracket for the trailer,
Angled mast brackets along wall.

On the to do list: Waterproof trailer electric, cleaning, and minor gel coat repairs.

Looking forward to tomorrow. mid to high 70's and 5-10 knot winds. Ought to be an excellent day.

And a few pics of the boat cozily tucked into the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150522_171015.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	102586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150522_171006.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	102587  

Name:	IMG_20150522_170957.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	102588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150522_170951.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	102589  

Name:	IMG_20150522_170918.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	102590  
Old 23-05-2015, 11:29   #51

Hey, don't do all the work now.That's what winter is for.

The May/June Small Craft Advisor has a nice article on fixups for a WWP 15 which are applicable to most boats of similar size.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 11:43   #52

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Lots of times the 15 and the 19 get lumped into the same category but they truly are quire a bit different. For example, the 15 has a centerboard and the 19 has a daggerboard. There is a lot more interior space in the 19 and layout includes a galley sink and stove.

That dodger is very nice.
Old 24-05-2015, 06:15   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Hey, don't do all the work now.That's what winter is for.
But It's so much fun! And besides, I tend to hibernate in the winter

Quote:
That dodger is very nice.
Thanks! I knew it came with the boat but I didn't actually see it until after I got home. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised by these things

Quote:
For example, the 15 has a centerboard and the 19 has a daggerboard. There is a lot more interior space in the 19 and layout includes a galley sink and stove.
I had to look up the difference because everyone I've talked to called it a centerboard, but you are correct it's a daggerboard. Thanks for pointing out the difference, now I can sound a bit more intelligent about my own boat!

The galley equipment is gone in my boat. I plan on adding a sink and single burner stove at some point, but I'm in no great hurry.

Yesterday was a great day! The kids had a LOT of fun, my 10 yo son did amazing on the stand up paddleboards. He was disappointed that he never fell in!

They also had a short sailing class and then set out solo on some Puddle Duck Racers. Cute little simple boats, and just about perfect for them to get some hands on experience of their own. I'm pretty sure the BLSA owns a few that members can use, too.

The most interesting watercraft demoed there was a paddle/sail kayak/trimaran from Hobie. Similar to this: Hobie Mirage Adventure Island Kayak - NextAdventure.net

It's 9 am here but I've already washed the boat inside and out. It looks much nicer with the rust stains and rub marked gone. Still need to rewire the trailer, and I'm going to get to that soon, once my hands dry out a little

Hope everyone is having a good Holiday weekend! (Or at least my fellow Americans)