Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 10:06   #16

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Help inspecting a WWP19

I wouldn't worry about new sails for at least first season . Do any WWP people have a dodger made up ? I would do that and some weather cloth for the cockpit , and canvas for the companion way. I like the blue hull .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:51   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The photos show a nice clean boat. I like that prop guard on the engine. Pretty nifty.

Our club boat doesn't have a dodger. In our area a bimini would be a nice addition too!
Old 12-05-2015, 11:19   #18

With the following they have I've been very surprised how cheap a couple WWP's have been listed at up here in the PNW. One was a 15 (or 17?) though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:09   #19

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
I wouldn't worry about new sails for at least first season . Do any WWP people have a dodger made up ? I would do that and some weather cloth for the cockpit , and canvas for the companion way. I like the blue hull .
I'll probably table the new sails until next year or later, depending on the condition of the current set.

There is actually a bimini (which I saw, folded up in the corner) and a dodger (which I didn't see) The CO said the dodger wasn't really useful on this boat, and I'm not sure what the advantages are on a boat this small. But regardless, I'll have it available.

What do you mean by a cockpit cover? Something for a shade while anchored? I'll be storing the boat inside my garage so I shouldn't need anything for sun protection of the boat itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
The photos show a nice clean boat. I like that prop guard on the engine. Pretty nifty.

Our club boat doesn't have a dodger. In our area a bimini would be a nice addition too!
The prop guard is apparently to stop damage to the rudder when it's turned sharply. It's all new to me so I wasn't sure how common it was.

This probably deserves its own thread, or at least a search through previous posts, but I'm looking for some PFD's comfortable enough for teens not to fight wearing them while underway. If anyone has some suggestions for USCG compliant PFD's I'd appreciate hearing them.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 18:57   #20

Boat: C & C 36

Sounds like a good find-documentation is a great thing!
One Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 20:13   #21

"The prop guard is apparently to stop damage to the rudder when it's turned sharply. It's all new to me so I wasn't sure how common it was."

Along those lines I'd look into a system to join the engine and the rudder so that they turn together when you have the engine in the water. I've seen them linked up but I don't know if it's a commercial item or homemade. If it were me I'd homemake it. Could be just a link between the tiller arm of your outboard and the boat's tiller.

Go to whatever marine store you have locally and have your teens put on a few. Don't get any auto inflating for them because certainly they'll be jumping around and getting wet and you don't want to have them deploy each time that happens because you'll have to replace the CO2 cartridge each time.. The ones that are like sospenders that you need to inflate are easy to wear and don't take up much room. Our serious sailor club members use the ones that are designed for kayak work because you can move your arms around a lot and still stay comfortable. Remember, if they are not comfortable they'll not likely wear them and that makes them useless.
Old 12-05-2015, 20:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDes View Post
I'll probably table the new sails until next year or later, depending on the condition of the current set.

There is actually a bimini (which I saw, folded up in the corner) and a dodger (which I didn't see) The CO said the dodger wasn't really useful on this boat, and I'm not sure what the advantages are on a boat this small. But regardless, I'll have it available.
Yeah, definitely go a season or two with the old sails. They could be just fine, and you'll learn alot.

Our little boat came with a proper dodger. We rarely sail with it up, unless we need the shelter. Normally we have the canvas off when sailing, or on but folded down, then it just takes a couple of minutes to put it up when we want shade. But on a boat this size, I probably wouldn't have coughed up for a dodger if it didn't already have one. But the bimini is a nice touch and will make your summer excursions more pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipprJohn
I'd look into a system to join the engine and the rudder so that they turn together when you have the engine in the water. I've seen them linked up but I don't know if it's a commercial item or homemade. If it were me I'd homemake it. Could be just a link between the tiller arm of your outboard and the boat's tiller.
I've thought about something like that too.... but I have to say that in 8 seasons I've rarely ever felt that such a mechanical link would have been that useful, and by now we're pretty skillful in two-handing the motor and tiller for tight manoeuvring. I've seen some such plans on the web.

That prop-guard is a nice way to protect the prop - and the rudder. Here's another way to protect the rudder from prop-dings: spend 20+ hours restoring the rudder-blade, stripping it back to bare wood, carefully filling and fairing any dings and prop-bites, sand it to perfection, then 3 coats of clear epoxy, then 3 coats of a 2-part varnish, wet-sanding between coats. Do this, and you won't ever let the prop touch the rudder again
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:41   #23

Boat: Westsail 28

Here is a pic of our cockpit weather cloth . It is basically a fence around the cockpit . It's not always sunny and warm here in So.Cal. !
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 17:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Here's another way to protect the rudder from prop-dings: spend 20+ hours restoring the rudder-blade, stripping it back to bare wood, carefully filling and fairing any dings and prop-bites, sand it to perfection, then 3 coats of clear epoxy, then 3 coats of a 2-part varnish, wet-sanding between coats. Do this, and you won't ever let the prop touch the rudder again
That was actually my thought towards the problem as well! The rudder isn't in bad shape but it does have a few nicks here and there. I'll likely sail with it this summer and then fill/sand/refinish it over the winter.

Quote:

Go to whatever marine store you have locally and have your teens put on a few. Don't get any auto inflating for them because certainly they'll be jumping around and getting wet and you don't want to have them deploy each time that happens because you'll have to replace the CO2 cartridge each time.. The ones that are like sospenders that you need to inflate are easy to wear and don't take up much room. Our serious sailor club members use the ones that are designed for kayak work because you can move your arms around a lot and still stay comfortable. Remember, if they are not comfortable they'll not likely wear them and that makes them useless.
I actually have a kayak vest, Stearns comfort series and maybe more of a fisherman's style, but still USCG approved, and I am a fan of the zipper + buckle closure. I also plan to take the kids to fit them for their own PFD's. I suppose I need to do a search for Marine stores in Indianapolis, and quite honestly it's a totally new thought to me. Does REI carry a decent selection of PFD's? I'd imagine sailing isn't their wheelhouse but unless the kids need something specific to sailing REI might be a good place for us to start.
I've also ordered a float vest for my dog. I've never bothered in the canoe because I avoid bad weather and assume I can just turn around and pick him up if he falls overboard, but in the WWP 19, I think I might really appreciate the handle if he ever goes over. Plus I want him used to the vest if/when we take on rougher waters in the future....and Lake Michigan isn't that far away.

@Markwesti

Considering the small size of the WWP19 cockpit ( 4 will be a real crowd ) I'll table the weather cloth for now, but I think it's a really good idea in general! I'm not in a particularly windy area but even so it seems I spend almost as much time trying to escape horizontally moving air as I do falling water or sunshine.
Old 13-05-2015, 17:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
With the following they have I've been very surprised how cheap a couple WWP's have been listed at up here in the PNW. One was a 15 (or 17?) though.
They only make 15s and 19s. The 15 is the old 14 and the 19 is the old 18. Once they added the length with the rudder attached it made them appear to be bigger in the marketing department.
Old 13-05-2015, 18:01   #26

If you have any outdoor store that carries PFDs then go there and don't pay marine markup. REI is good but a lot of the big box discount stores have fishing supply stuff where PFDs can be had. Good luck in your search. Shop in online catalogs and then go find the same products much cheaper in big box stores. That's just the cheapo me talking again.
Old 14-05-2015, 08:43   #27

Quote:
They only make 15s and 19s. The 15 is the old 14 and the 19 is the old 18. Once they added the length with the rudder attached it made them appear to be bigger in the marketing department.
There's been a 15 up here for sale for quite a while..$1500!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:54   #28

The tricks with life jackets for kids:

have them pick out the ones they want after you've done your homework on quality

wear yours and don't make a big deal out of it - lead by example, not "do what I say, not what I do"

Good luck, nice boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 18:31   #29

Weather permitting the CO will take me out Saturday afternoon. If all goes well with the sea trial, he'll walk me through taking down the mast and loading it on the trailer. With luck I'll have it firmly tucked into my garage in just two days. He's planning to take his last sail tomorrow, and I sure hope it's a good one for him.
Old 16-05-2015, 13:24   #30

No sea trial today, weather was uncooperative. Hopefully tomorrow.