Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 19:24   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Halman 20 v. Flicka v. Nordica 20

The Halman and Nordica are bathtub toys compared to the PS Flicka.

Now, the flicka is a slow tubby boat though.

Something like a Pearson Ariel with a nice newer diesel would be a better value and better sailor. About the same weight for trailering.

Tons of other good options as well. Whilst the Flicka has done some passagemaking, its basically a "character" boat.
Old 07-12-2013, 22:55   #17

Thank you everyone. Some interesting opinions on the Flicka, along with some brass tacks comments:

"I would look for the inboard model with the enclosed head. Those go for the most money but the layout is better unless you want the crapper under your head while you sleep" (Jon Neely).

"It's a PITA getting the stick up, adjusting the rig, putting on the sails and running rigging etc, not to mention launching, deailing with parking the trailer and truck somewhere and loading the boat. For a vacation... great... for a day sail forget it!" (Cheechako).

"I have 2 Flickas, one PSC hull 99 and one homebuilt before seacraft existed. The homebuilt is bullet proof and has less than a year in the water so far. Diesel has 16 hours on it with enclosed head, air conditioned, Microwave, ac/dc/lp Refer,shower an more. I love this boat and it sails like a 40 footer. I have the other in my shop I am restoring and it has a yanmar YSB-8 that I am rebuilding and I will sell this boat when completed. I have owned dozens of boats and without a doubt the Flicka is the best. There is no comparison on hulls ,quality or dependability. You have to go and sail each boat to know the difference" (bill cartwright).

"[T]he Flicka doesn't have a very comfortable motion and is super slow, good for heavy weather but not light air" (terminalcitygrl).

Gratsi for the Nor'Sea boosterism, Daniel. I've been glancing at your blog for a while, along with the Yahoo group. Rhapsody is looking good. Nor'Sea was on my list, but I'm thinking it might be too big for the type of portability I want, and the forefoot might be a little too cutaway. I love the look, but how is the motion and wave slamming?

"Go Leafs???? Wow, that sounds suspiciously bad..." (SVTatia).

Yeah, I should have said, "Go Leaves."

Not much on the Halman and Nordica except, "bathtub toys" (Boatguy30).

Come on, you Canadians, defend yourselves! And don't say, "Get a Shark."

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded. Keep it coming.
truewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 16:28   #18

Boat: Cornish Crabber 24

Gosh how I wish I'd seen this years ago!
A Halman, a Nordica, and a Flicka? There is no realistic comparison of either of them to a Flicka--only in your head.
BluePeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 17:13   #19

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The Halman and Nordica are bathtub toys compared to the PS Flicka.

Now, the flicka is a slow tubby boat though.

Something like a Pearson Ariel with a nice newer diesel would be a better value and better sailor. About the same weight for trailering.

Tons of other good options as well. Whilst the Flicka has done some passagemaking, its basically a "character" boat.
I agree.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 17:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by truewind View Post
Thank you everyone. Some interesting opinions on the Flicka, along with some brass tacks comments:

"I would look for the inboard model with the enclosed head. Those go for the most money but the layout is better unless you want the crapper under your head while you sleep" (Jon Neely).

"It's a PITA getting the stick up, adjusting the rig, putting on the sails and running rigging etc, not to mention launching, deailing with parking the trailer and truck somewhere and loading the boat. For a vacation... great... for a day sail forget it!" (Cheechako).

"I have 2 Flickas, one PSC hull 99 and one homebuilt before seacraft existed. The homebuilt is bullet proof and has less than a year in the water so far. Diesel has 16 hours on it with enclosed head, air conditioned, Microwave, ac/dc/lp Refer,shower an more. I love this boat and it sails like a 40 footer. I have the other in my shop I am restoring and it has a yanmar YSB-8 that I am rebuilding and I will sell this boat when completed. I have owned dozens of boats and without a doubt the Flicka is the best. There is no comparison on hulls ,quality or dependability. You have to go and sail each boat to know the difference" (bill cartwright).

"[T]he Flicka doesn't have a very comfortable motion and is super slow, good for heavy weather but not light air" (terminalcitygrl).

Gratsi for the Nor'Sea boosterism, Daniel. I've been glancing at your blog for a while, along with the Yahoo group. Rhapsody is looking good. Nor'Sea was on my list, but I'm thinking it might be too big for the type of portability I want, and the forefoot might be a little too cutaway. I love the look, but how is the motion and wave slamming?

"Go Leafs???? Wow, that sounds suspiciously bad..." (SVTatia).

Yeah, I should have said, "Go Leaves."

Not much on the Halman and Nordica except, "bathtub toys" (Boatguy30).

Come on, you Canadians, defend yourselves! And don't say, "Get a Shark."

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded. Keep it coming.
You haven't said how you intend to use a boat which would be worth knowing while making suggestions.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 17:56   #21

Primarily coastal, to include Keys, Sea of Cortez, San Juans, San Francisco, maybe Bahamas. Yeah, I know, Flicka is a different animal - fine for any of these areas.
Old 05-04-2017, 18:05   #22

Do you need to be able to trailer it without too much difficulty?
Old 05-04-2017, 18:11   #23

Yes, not too much. A Flicka is twice as heavy and a little draftier compared to the others. What would you guess to be the best vehicle to tow a Flicka?
Old 05-04-2017, 18:27   #24

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Yes, not too much. A Flicka is twice as heavy and a little draftier compared to the others. What would you guess to be the best vehicle to tow a Flicka?
With a displacement weight of 5500 lbs., I'd think any truck would be suitable for that kind of load. My boat alone has a dry weight of 8100lbs, and when you add gear and trailer, I had my load weighed at around 11800 lbs. I tow with a Silverado 2500 with no problems. A Flicka I think could be towed by a Ford F150/250 or Chevy/Dodge 1500/2500 fairly easily.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 18:31   #25

Quote:
It will take a full size truck with tow package. Figure 7 or 8 mpg towing.
Old 05-04-2017, 18:32   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I've sailed the Nor'sea 27, the Flicka, the Compac, and a few others. The Bristol 24 is another sleeper on this list. For my money the Flicka is in a class of her own.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 18:42   #27

Hi Daniel - thanks for chiming in - I've looked at your site ever since you started posting - thanks for the useful information over the years - I came close to buying a Nor'sea since starting this thread - I thought a 150 size truck might be a little light for a Flicka, but I really don't know - not to hijack my own thread, but how much did your new windvane cost?
Old 05-04-2017, 18:45   #28

Would a tow package on a 150 handle a Flicka, trailer, and other gear?
Old 05-04-2017, 18:48   #29

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Hi Daniel - thanks for chiming in - I've looked at your site ever since you started posting - thanks for the useful information over the years - I came close to buying a Nor'sea since starting this thread - I thought a 150 size truck might be a little light for a Flicka, but I really don't know - not to hijack my own thread, but how much did your new windvane cost?
Thanks for the comments about the blog. I hope it's useful to whoever sees it.

Considering the damage my previous vane received, it was replaced by insurance. The website for the Monitor Windvane has it listed at $4900 and shipping was an additional $200.

a 150 might be on the light side but might still handle it, but a 250/2500 series truck should have no problem. It has been a while since I looked at the towing specs on the smaller trucks.

Oh and I believe there are Nor'seas still available for sale, but usually listed on the owners group.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 19:02   #30

Quote:
Would a tow package on a 150 handle a Flicka, trailer, and other gear?
Yes it would. Might require the 8 cylinder though.

Tags
nordic