Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 20:50   #1

Halman 20 v. Flicka v. Nordica 20

I'm looking for opinions about all aspects of each to help me make a decision.

So sway me Halman aficianados! Flicka fans, give it your best shot! Nordica devotees, go Leafs! All advice gladly accepted, biased, unbiased, and in between.

And if you can think of any other similar heavy duty trailerable boats around 20 feet with a solid keel, chime in, please!
truewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 06:33   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
I would say the nor'sea 27. Biggest baddest trailer boat money can buy. Ones with the aft cabins are my favorite. They sail well and they are sexy as hell. Many come with trailers.
Old 27-11-2013, 06:40   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Halman 20 v. Flicka v. Nordica 20

The NS27 seems to be the largest trailerable boat I've been able to find. I think the Cape Dory 27 might be trailerable too.

You can likely get some good info from the Flicka Owners Group.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 07:10   #4

Boat: Catalina 34

Here's a couple others to consider:

Allegra 24: A Flicka-like boat, which is no coincidence considering one of the co-designers was Bruce Bingham's father. The Allegra give you a little more waterline and LOD. Allegra was available as both a factory boat and kit boat, so check to be sure.

Tom Thumb 24: A Grahame Shannon designed frameless steel pocket cruiser. These little tanks are fairly rare, but you can always build your own with design plans from Bruce Roberts Yachts.

PSC Dana: If the Flicka is on your list, you might as well cross-shop the Dana. She's likely to be more expensive, but still a worthy design for a potentially trailerable and capable pocket cruiser.
Old 27-11-2013, 08:42   #5
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

The Flicka 20 is a bad ass boat. I haven't sailed one but I saw a couple of guys sail into Salem on one from Winthrop last month. It was on a day with very heavy weather (30knts plus). Nobody else was out being that it was also cold. They said they were flying on a beam reach the whole way. Wicked cool boat. It definitely has Charisma, Duende, Chasse, etc.

It is not like the others (not your average boat, that is.)
Old 27-11-2013, 08:47   #6

Thank you very much for the replies. The other boats mentioned so far are great, but when I said other boats I was not thinking much bigger, so let me put a body/berth length range on it: 16 to 22 feet, solid, encapsulated, full keel (no swing or bolt), tough little monsters with thick hulls.

And does anyone have experience with their sailing characteristics, idiosyncrasies, maintenance problems, different layout versions, trailering, launching? Anything you can think of.

Thanks again so far.
truewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 09:14   #7

Boat: Catalina 34

A few more (no personal experience with them though):

Com-Pac Horizon Cat 20 or the Com-Pac 23.
Old 27-11-2013, 09:27   #8

Not sure how we got from 20 feet to 27!
I vote the Flicka. IF going a touch bigger the Falmouth 22 cant be beat but not a very trailerable design due to the complicated true cutter rig/bowsprit. The Dana 24 is a super sweet design... like a faster bigger Flicka.... hardly any overhang... all the length put into waterline. I wouldnt discount a Compac 23 for a more modern design either.
Sailed in Mexico along with a Dana years ago. That boat kept up with my 30 footer no problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 09:37   #9

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Sorry for mentioning the ns27. Op asked for a trailerable cruiser and I thought I had to mention it even though its on the higher end of the 20s. I have seen some ns27s in the 40-50k region lately so it puts it right in the Dana price range. Flickas are awesome . I would look for the inboard model with the enclosed head. Those go for the most money but the layout is better unless you want the crapper under your head while you sleep.
Old 27-11-2013, 09:48   #10

Excellent point about the crapper... had a boat with it under the berth.... never again!

OP: regarding trailering and launching... to my thinking it's not something you will want to do for a daysail that's for sure! It's a PITA getting the stick up, adjusting the rig, putting on the sails and running rigging etc, not to mention launching, deailing with parking the trailer and truck somewhere and loading the boat. For a vacation... great... for a day sail forget it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 16:46   #11

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt

I have 2 Flickas, one PSC hull 99 and one homebuilt before seacraft existed. The homebuilt is bullet proof and has less than a year in the water so far. Diesel has 16 hours on it with enclosed head, air conditioned, Microwave, ac/dc/lp Refer,shower an more. I love this boat and it sails like a 40 footer. I have the other in my shop I am restoring and it has a yanmar YSB-8 that I am rebuilding and I will sell this boat when completed. I have owned dozens of boats and without a doubt the Flicka is the best. There is no comparison on hulls ,quality or dependability. You have to go and sail each boat to know the difference. It is like night an day when you put it in heavy winds and seas. If you want to sail a flicka then come on down! I am in Galveston Yacht Basin and I will take you out. NorSea-27 is a good boat but little support as few were built. I do love the Falmouth 22 as it carries more sail but has less space on the interior. The Flicka is being built again and you can buy a new one if you desire but be ready for the sticker shock! In North Carolina. PM me if you want more info. Flicka is the way to go as parts are now avaiable along with support. Compac's 22 are just a little to compact for me. Good luck on your research, BTW go to Flicka-20 and they have a list of boats for sail by owners, generally 15-25K and in good condition. Have a good one!
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 17:30   #12

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Hands down, a Falmouth 22. Cherechako, the bowsprit slides inboard by knocking out a small wood fid. trailered mine from Guaymas to San Diego on a flicka trailer.
I would have bet many cases of beer that I would beat the rest of these 20's to the next port.
I had 6' headroom in the main cabin (a factory mod) and the double forward and 2 berths in the main cabin were good enough for someone 6'4".
The Falmouth 22 has the greatest displacement/length ratio, greatest sail area/ displacement ratio. Displaces 7500lbs.
Comfortable, fast and trailerable.
Oh, and built like a tank.
No engine and sailed her all over. Ca to Ha and back, Baja from SD. Florida to the caribbean. Caribbean to NY. Etc.

Ya want to know how I really feel?
Old 28-11-2013, 18:03   #13

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by truewind View Post
...So sway me Halman aficianados! Flicka fans, give it your best shot! Nordica devotees, go Leafs! ...
Go Leafs???? Wow, that sounds suspiciously bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...The Dana 24 is a super sweet design... like a faster bigger Flicka....
+++1 on that. Check out this blog and their video and you'll fall in head over heels.

Karen and Jim's Excellent Adventure: Where Is Sockdolager Now?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 19:09   #14

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Cape Dory has a 22 footer and a 19 footer (Typhoon). They're popular boats. Look up the Cape Dory owners group for more info. Sometimes they sell on their message board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill cartwright View Post
NorSea-27 is a good boat but little support as few were built.
There is actually a LOT of support on the Nor'sea 27's. There is an owners group that is pretty active. The builder is still around and the NS27 can be built but is a custom order as they are expensive brand new. They continue to build to the same original quality. I think in total, there is around 600 built since around 1977 or 78. They mainly make the Montgomery brand of day-sailors, also popular.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 19:17   #15

In my research I read that the Flicka doesn't have a very comfortable motion and is super slow, good for heavy weather but not light air so I guess it depends on what kind of sailing you plan to do. But they sure can be pretty. We looked at one at Seacraft last year and it was teeny and expensive. What about the Cornish Crabbers? This is a great deal and beautiful boat although it's a 24 footer. http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4189453735.html

Anyone mentioned the West Wight Potters?
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nordic