Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 09:42   #1

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Golden Wave 42 - any info?

We are considering a Golden Wave 42 (Cheoy Lee build), Perry design. Any one have any info on this model? Not too many built.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 11:24   #2
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Have you checked the Cheoy Lee association page. I believe it had decent info on the GW42. I have been on a a GW48 and thought it was quite nice.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 11:42   #3
Eternal Member

Re: Golden Wave 42 - any info?

I've owned Born Free, a Golden Wave 42 for the past 25 years. Cruised her from Maine to Grenada, and most places in between. She's currently in Washington DC.

I've posted many times about her. There's tons of info on the Cheoy Lee Association website and this site and others (Sailnet, SSCA, etc.). Try Google.

Will be happy to answer any specific questions, time permitting.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 08:05   #4

I have looked at the Golden Wave owners group website. Very helpful from a high level perspective. Interesting that a profile drawing of the keel is not on there but I found it elsewhere. I have done several web searches and have not found very much. I may not be doing it right but so far not much.

Btrayfor - thanks for your post. Your Born Free looks great. One question is how much fuel tankage your Golden Wave has. The one for sale has only 45 gal which is about half of what I would consider a minimum for this size boat with a 50hp diesel. Did you find the low tankage a problem? My friends on a Tayana 42 carry large tanks, fuel jerry jugs, and a bladder and they fill them every chance they get as they summer in the Sea of Cortes in Mexico. Diesel is actually hard to find north of La Paz on the west side of the sea. The winds are mostly unfavorable. Going across the Pacific we used way more diesel than I could ever have imagined before doing it.

A good sailing boat doesn't need as much but 45 gallons seem crazy for an offshore boat. And that is going with the "trades". Getting across the equator was the biggest problem but not the only one. Many days without wind. Probably an off year but can't count on favorable winds all the time. And I don't really want to carry 50 gal of jugs on deck. How did it work for you?
Old 29-04-2014, 08:35   #5
Eternal Member

My GW42 has a 40-gallon main tank. That is a bit small, but it's worked out fine for me over the past 25 years.

The "50HP diesel" really isn't. It's likely to be a Perkins 4-108 which is really only about a 30HP diesel, despite the ratings of 40-50HP you see.

I carry 25 gallons of diesel in five 5-gallon jugs. Three of these fit very nicely beneath the lifting center helmsman's seat. Two others fit conveniently in the aft locker to starboard...way back under, leaving lots of room for spare oil, transmission fluid, my autopilot hydraulic motor & tank, etc.

Thus there are no diesel jugs on deck, but if I thought I needed more I could carry them.

The GW42 is one of the best production passagemakers around. She makes an honest 160nm per day....averaged over more than 20,000 miles. This amount of fuel was fine for my trips from DC to the Eastern Carribean and back (about 1,500 miles each way), from DC to Maine and back a couple of times, down the ICW to the Keys and back, etc., etc.

In 25 years I've only run out of fuel twice, both times within 25 miles of home and because I wasn't paying attention.

Yes, I'd like more fuel, but it's not a show stopper for me given the exceptional sailing capabilities of this boat.

Bill
Old 29-04-2014, 08:51   #6

Thanks Bill - great info. We really love the Golden but we have to see if we can get the price down to afford it. We're working on that. The owner has done a ton of mods to the boat and some of the space you mention is now gone or moved. He did add two feet to the stern and added two shallow lazarettes. Don't really like adding so much weight at the rear end but it might work. Looking to see if an additional tank could be added mid-ships. That is probably too much wallet damage with a loss of something. Your info on not really needing more is comforting. They have a good rep for good sailing mileage. We really want the boat but it is out of our doable range unless we can cut a deal. The customization puts it almost in the quirky world - the reason it has not sold so far. But most of the changes have been great. There are some issues but things that can be handled with a few boat bucks over time (watermaker, SSB, removing some stuff added, etc.).
Old 29-04-2014, 15:48   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

In our previous boat (old IOR one tonner, 36 LOA, 29 LWL) we had only 43 USG fuel tankage. We cruised her for 86,000 miles over 17 years, including two Mexico-FP and one FP-San Francisco passages, plus ending up in Australia. We never even approached running out of fuel. Being prepared to sail in light airs and to windward when required makes all the difference in fuel usage... it is up to you!

Jim
Old 29-04-2014, 17:46   #8

We will be putting in an offer for the boat. My experience with our Whitby was not good for fuel, but it was not a great sailor and wouldn't go to weather. We could handle it but it couldn't. Having a good sailing boat will be fun. Thanks for your comments. When we get to Mexico we'll have to see what we need there. I'm pretty giddy putting in the offer. We haven't had a boat in a few years. But I am nervous about the extra hit to the bank accounts. More passion than smart.
Old 29-04-2014, 17:55   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We will be putting in an offer for the boat. My experience with our Whitby was not good for fuel, but it was not a great sailor and wouldn't go to weather. We could handle it but it couldn't. Having a good sailing boat will be fun. Thanks for your comments. When we get to Mexico we'll have to see what we need there. I'm pretty giddy putting in the offer. We haven't had a boat in a few years. But I am nervous about the extra hit to the bank accounts. More passion than smart.
You know, I'm pretty sure we have met, or at least shared anchorages somewhere in the past! At any rate, we've had several close friends with Whidby 42's and agree that they are pretty ordinary in sailing performance. I am not specifically familiar with the GW 42, but Perry usually designs boats that sail well, so this one likely will too. At any rate, do equip her with some sort of light air sails (spinnaker, genaker, code 0 etc) and practice patience... I think that you will be fine for fuel capacity. If it develops that I am wrong, I'd think in terms of a bladder rather than jerry jugs on deck for long passages. IMO, a much more seamanlike answer to supplemental fuel storage.

Anyhow, good luck with the purchase.

Jim
Old 22-12-2016, 08:48   #10

delete
Old 22-12-2016, 09:13   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW,

In our previous boat (old IOR one tonner, 36 LOA, 29 LWL) we had only 43 USG fuel tankage. We cruised her for 86,000 miles over 17 years, including two Mexico-FP and one FP-San Francisco passages, plus ending up in Australia. We never even approached running out of fuel. Being prepared to sail in light airs and to windward when required makes all the difference in fuel usage... it is up to you!

Jim
My thirstiest passage was Bali to Singapore. Carried 70 gallons and borrowed another 5 coming into Singapore. On a boat that was great in light air, sometimes there just wasn't enough wind to sail.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 06:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
My thirstiest passage was Bali to Singapore. Carried 70 gallons and borrowed another 5 coming into Singapore. On a boat that was great in light air, sometimes there just wasn't enough wind to sail.
A blast from the past on the GW42! We plan on taking extra fuel just in case. I will see if I can put another tank in where some extra batteries were. Anything will help, even just another 20 gal. There will be some jugs on deck in any case. I hate doing that but on previous passages the only reasonable way to refuel was to ferry jugs back and forth to gas stations on land. I will be looking in to a fuel bladder but have some big reservations about them. There are times with zippo wind and unless you want to bobble around for a couple or more days at a time, the iron genny comes on.

It is gratifying to hear about GW42's going on long passages will little fuel usage. I find it is a very good sailing boat and goes to weather pretty darn good. Fun to sail. I expect we will be sailing most all the time and will carry at least a couple of light air sails.

We still get really nice comments on how good looking our girl is, and most have to ask what kind of sailboat she is. I have a big list of things to do but most all of them are adding on upgrades or new gear like a SSB and hydraulic autopilot, all for offshore work.
Old 26-12-2016, 08:42   #13
Eternal Member

So sorry to be tardy in replying to your query. We've had a housefull of kids and grandkids and not a moment free to think.

Re: rudder dimensions, I really don't know for sure, but it's a big one. I'd estimate about 10-12 sq ft. The skeg is large also. See attached pix.

I installed a W-H P3 autopilot, and absolutely love it. Not the latest and greatest, but maybe one of the most reliable ones out there. And Will Hamm still provides personalized tech support for his products 24/7. I also have the hydraulic RAM option, with a small quadrant attached to the rudder post.

One caution: the hydraulic RAM can exert many thousands of pound of thrust...way beyond its rating...when, e.g., you slam off a wave. Therefore, be careful to install it in the strongest way you can imagine. We had to really beef up the install platform for the RAM and, afterwards to strengthen it even more as the hull was flexing. Essentially, mine is now tied into the whole ass end of the boat!!

Hope this helps a bit.

Happy Holidays.

Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	138488

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	138489

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Reply to thread 'Golden Wave 42 - any info?'
From: "Cruisers & Sailing Forums" <support@cruisersforum.com>
Date: Thu, December 22, 2016 11:48 am
To: btrayfors@wdsg.com

Dear btrayfors,

exMaggieDrum has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to titled - Golden Wave 42 - any info? - in the Monohull Sailboats forum of Cruisers & Sailing Forums.

This thread is located at:
Golden Wave 42 - any info? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Hi Bill,
I am intend to put a below deck hydraulic autopilot on Argonauta, our GW 42. I know you have one. I am planning on installing a Simrad (AP24 display/control head, AC42 computer, heading sensor, RFU, etc). I think I will be getting a non-Simrad pump and they don't sell a Simrad cylinder. My issue is sizing the pump and cylinder. The Simrad electronics are very good and strong, and I think rated for 25A to a pump. I had a bad experience with my Whitby 42 with a Hynautic helm pump and cylinder in a bad seaway with following seas and 20+kt winds. The effort required was too much for the AP (not uncommon in these conditions) and even for hand steering for hours. Do you have detail info on the rudder dimensions/square footage? What have you installed on your boat? Thank you very much. I am continuing with major upgrades to the electrical system on Argonauta after redoing much of the plumbing. Plus new electronics and a plan to put in a SSB. We intend to take her offsho
re in the next couple of years. Happy Holidays!
Old 27-12-2016, 08:49   #14

Happy New Year to you Bill and thanks for the reply and especially the pics.

I knew I would have to build a solid platform for the ram but you are making me think I should go even bigger and more solid than I planned. If you can give me an idea about your first effort which still had hull flexing and your ultimate solution that would be great.

I was thinking in terms of a glassed in platform about 6x6 for where the ram is mounted with a backing plate and a 12x12 base.

Where did you mount yours too?

I know things are busy for the holidays. I am not in a big rush.

I have always heard great things (and a few bad things but not many) about the W H pilots. He is close to us here not that that matters. I had a very bad experience crewing on a Tayana 37 with a much, much older generation W H but it did not have a heading input other than a dial that you had to use to move the boat to a heading manually and then lock it in with a switch on the unit. It was also mounted down in the cockpit and I had to literally get on my hands and knees to see it right next to the binnacle in a narrow spot. Ugly. But that was way before the P3 and his other units.

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 27-12-2016, 09:13   #15

Happy New Year to you Bill and thanks for the reply and especially the pics.

I knew I would have to build a solid platform for the ram but you are making me think I should go even bigger and more solid than I planned. If you can give me an idea about your first effort which still had hull flexing and your ultimate solution that would be great.

I was thinking in terms of a glassed in platform about 6x6 for where the ram is mounted with a backing plate and a 12x12 base.

Where did you mount yours too?

I know things are busy for the holidays. I am not in a big rush.

I have always heard great things (and a few bad things but not many) about the W H pilots. He is close to us here not that that matters. I had a very bad experience crewing on a Tayana 37 with a much, much older generation W H but it did not have a heading input other than a dial that you had to use to move the boat to a heading manually and then lock it in with a switch on the unit. It was also mounted down in the cockpit and I had to literally get on my hands and knees to see it right next to the binnacle in a narrow spot. Ugly. But that was way before the P3 and his other units.

Thanks again,
Joe