Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 13:57   #1

Boat: Seafarer Tripp 30
Glassed Hull To Deck Joint...No Bolts?

Hi everyone,

I'm doing research to buy my first boat (hopefully this year) and came across this...

1960 Seafarer Tripp 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The add says...'The Hull to Deck joint is glassed (not screwed) and leakproof. The side decks and cabin top have no flex'. I was wondering what you thought of this construction method and if it were strong enough for serious blue ocean cruising which is what I hope to do someday. In John Vigor's book he said this...'If there are no bolts, or machine screws, and nuts holding your deck to your hull, don't think of crossing an ocean. Is it possible to add bolts or would you just be weakening it more. I'm not ready to buy right now but this boat fits my criteria (mainly full keel and 28' to 32' feet long) and I was curious if you guys thought this might be a capable boat. Apparently it was built for racing but it seems solid. Thanks for any info, tips, or conjecture you have to offer.
david7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Glassed Hull To Deck Joint...No Bolts?

Depends on how the hull and deck were glassed together. If it was done with a laminate schedule that matched the deck and hull, it would essentially be a solid connection equal to the strength of the hull.

My Pearson has the joint glassed from underneath but it's only one or two laminates and not strong enough to resist the shear forces without mechanical fasteners. Pearson at least thought so as they used flat head self tapping screws on 4"-6" centers and through bolted where the 10' of genoa track is located.

In short, it depends on how the hull to deck was glassed. Given the propensity of fasteners in the hull to deck joing to leak, would prefer a glassed only joint if it was done right.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 15:34   #3

Thanks...I was thinking the same thing that it should be just as strong as the hull. The add says that it was hand laminated in Holland. How could you find out how they did it? Would a surveyor be able to tell?
Old 08-03-2012, 16:08   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I'm sure it depends .... on how your boat was constructed. But, I do know that Amel, on of the best Water boats">blue water boats out there, has the deck glassed to the hull and no fittings. So, for what that's worth ...

http://www.amel.fr/upload/amel_55/amel55-en.pdf
Old 08-03-2012, 16:25   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Most likely it's been glassed over the fasteners. Take a look up in the joint on the inside.
But as long as it's done with enough strength it should be good. But do have a surveyor check it out if your serious.
Old 08-03-2012, 17:11   #6

Boat: Orca 38

My Ingrid Orca has a interior glassed in deck to hull join as well. I'll add some pics tomorrow as I currently have the interior removed.

It is really massively joined. There must be a 6" foam wedge glassed in where the deck joins the hull. I had to remove some material for a new set of chainplates that I and the fiberglass was 3/8" thick and a bear to cut.

No leaks anywhere, I don't see it ever happening either.
Old 08-03-2012, 17:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You should be able to see the joint somewhere in the boat. The thickness of the laminate should be obvious. A surveyor would definitely check it carefully especially if you put a bug in his ear about it.

Those '60s Holland built boats were made to tackle the North Sea and make icebergs say 'Uncle'. No bean counter trying to cut down on amount of glass used and the rating rule encouraged a bit of weight in the boats.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05   #8

Thanks for the info...I was just put off by that book. I guess if it was done well then it should be okay. He made it sound like the whole cabin top would shear off with the first wave that hit it. If I do decide to go for this boat I'll definitely ask the surveyor to take a good look at the joint.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:22   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm sure it depends .... on how your boat was constructed.
+1

But FWIW, for me she does easily pass the "does she look right test" . and pretty with it .

Back in 1960 was early days in fibreglass boats, so designers and builders still largely thinking in wood, and by modern standards that usually involved being massively overbuilt as well before the days of bang 'em out cheap as possible (with the minimum of fibreglass or care involved) as don't have to last 10 let alone 50 years (which is probably the sort of vessel that the book was referring to).

Seems that some sisterships still around, to my mind that a strong indicator that nothing fundamentally wrong with either the deck join or the boat overall. I would also be very surprised if that deck was not solid (no core).....probably helps to account for the fact that she is still around after 52 years.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote