Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 13:02   #1

German design?

Does anyone have any prior experience with a Bavaria 34? Details are: 2 cabin, built 2001, Volvo 29hp engine with only 400 hours.
Designer is J and J. Draft is 6'1"
Tankage is factory standard and is small for my cruising goals.

I have heard that the hull of these boats is layed up with Kevlar.

Would the boat be too light for going offshore/passage making? (dry weight is on 9,900 lbs)

Thanks for your input
ttlfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 20:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
I am not specifically familiar with the Bavaria 34. I would not say thatthe boat is too light to go offshore, but Bavaria has seemingly developed a pretty poor build quality reputation around here. I have not been impressed with the glass work that I have seen on the ones that I have been aboard. They are pretty much the equivillent to a Beneteau 'number' series, Catalina or Hunter which is to say that they offer a lot of room and a reasonable sailing boat for the money, but it is not a boat that I would want to take offshore.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:34   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
From my observations, these boats have been optimised to provide the best speed for their size, whilst still providing reasonable accomodation. The down side of this is a very flat bottom, which when pushed to windward into a bad sea causes excessive slamming. To the extent in a really bad sea, that it causes damage to the boat. Great for channel work and charter where you are never very far from harbour, but not my choice for an offshore cruiser.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
I don't know that the slamming would cause damage, but it could result in a pretty uncomfortable motion. There is a pretty accurate information about forward loadings on a sailboat, and these areas are generally designed for enormous impact loads plus a rather large safety factor.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 13:24   #5

I own a 1989 Bavaria 34´, she has taken us all around the baltic sea (scandinavia, germany, poland,...).
For the baltics she is a perfect boat (there´s always a safe harbour around), but I would never take her out to the atlantic or even the Pacific.
It´s just the wrong boat for long chruising distances and high winds.

I´m selling my Bavaria now, as I have moved to France and she is definetly the wrong choice here at the atlantic coast and she would be the wrong choice on your side of the world too.
Hasenmann is offline   Reply With Quote