Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2014, 08:38   #31

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: Gentlemen, break out your fenders!!

welcome! see you on the lake after this (*&*&^^%$# winter is over! 6 months and counting. Why do we live here again???
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 08:39   #32

Boat: C&C Newport 41

As you gear up for winter projects...

Consider removing the teak you plan to restore / replace and work on it off boat (think heated workshop). It is nice to be able to take you time and not worry about accidentally sanding the gelcoat / busting your knuckles on a block or cleat.

If you choose to do so, work in small sections. being new to boats, it is easy to take it all off and then forget where things came form / loose fasteners etc.

1. Take pictures.
2. Remove item
3. Collect all related fasteners and hardware in a single well labeled plastic bag
4. restore / repair
5. reinstall

Rinse. Later. Repeat

While it is certainly more work, you will be very happy with the results when you dont have ugly grey teak around the edge of your beautifully restored teak.

Personally, it drives me insane to see beautifully restored elements with cruddy old hardware... replace the cleats etc when reinstalling.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 08:59   #33

That wood looks pretty good to me. NEVER ever abandon teak unless absolutely necessary. Then replace it with teak.
I've never heard of Purple heart being used outside. I have done a couple projects with it over the years and can tell you it's not near as oily as teak... so I would GUESS it's not near as good outside.
I know you want to make your new "baby" your own, but think twice about doing other than upgrades or needed maintenance until you "get to know her" :>)
Spend your winter making her as mechanically perfect as possible, so you have a carefree summer without trouble! Some possibilities:
*clean the fuel, fuel system
*does the boat have a good secondary fuel filter?
*what condition is the shaft log in? leak a lot?
*any engine drips? Clean the engine and paint it?
* Anchoring gear condition?
*Whip the line ends?
*Varnish?
*any deck leaks? rebed any fittings?
*clean and grease the winches.
*lights all working? upgrade to LED?
*what charging system do you have? will it keep up with the demand?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:18   #34

Boat: N/A At least not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That wood looks pretty good to me. NEVER ever abandon teak unless absolutely necessary. Then replace it with teak.
I've never heard of Purple heart being used outside. I have done a couple projects with it over the years and can tell you it's not near as oily as teak... so I would GUESS it's not near as good outside.
I know you want to make your new "baby" your own, but think twice about doing other than upgrades or needed maintenance until you "get to know her" :>)
Spend your winter making her as mechanically perfect as possible, so you have a carefree summer without trouble! Some possibilities:
*clean the fuel, fuel system
*does the boat have a good secondary fuel filter?
*what condition is the shaft log in? leak a lot?
*any engine drips? Clean the engine and paint it?
* Anchoring gear condition?
*Whip the line ends?
*Varnish?
*any deck leaks? rebed any fittings?
*clean and grease the winches.
*lights all working? upgrade to LED?
*what charging system do you have? will it keep up with the demand?
Ummm, you lost me at shaft log,..mechanically she seems to be in tip top shape, that's not my worry. Previous owner took very good care of this boat and it shows, but his concern was moreso with the mechanical aspect, and lines rigging and sails, so it seems time to take out the sandpaper and put in some elbow grease. I'd love to post some pictures of me new luv, but can't find where to upload dem to?? All in all very solid and sturdy. I went over it with a fine tooth comb after reading "inspecting the aging sailboat."

Sent from my C6906 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:19   #35

Boat: N/A At least not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
As you gear up for winter projects...

Consider removing the teak you plan to restore / replace and work on it off boat (think heated workshop). It is nice to be able to take you time and not worry about accidentally sanding the gelcoat / busting your knuckles on a block or cleat.

If you choose to do so, work in small sections. being new to boats, it is easy to take it all off and then forget where things came form / loose fasteners etc.

1. Take pictures.
2. Remove item
3. Collect all related fasteners and hardware in a single well labeled plastic bag
4. restore / repair
5. reinstall

Rinse. Later. Repeat

While it is certainly more work, you will be very happy with the results when you dont have ugly grey teak around the edge of your beautifully restored teak.

Personally, it drives me insane to see beautifully restored elements with cruddy old hardware... replace the cleats etc when reinstalling.

-steve
Thanks that's some noteworthy advice, I do plan on removing what I will be working on in order to clean it/fix it up, and properly labeling things is not my strong point but this will definitely warrant it.

Sent from my C6906 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:42   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Steady progress will show more than you think... It all is not going to get done at once...

Shaft log = tube/reinforced hose where the shaft goes through the hull... packing gland on the engine end...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, men