Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 19:12   #406
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Full keel vs fin keel for offshore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Actually that is with an SSB, but only the receiver half.
sorry I forgot to say transceiver
the link says without ssb transceiver
Old 19-12-2017, 19:20   #407
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Weather fax first and grib file second
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grib3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	160745   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	99
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	160746  

Old 19-12-2017, 19:30   #408

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
No argument here, I'm just restating his parameters

I'd like to have something like Dekker's 40' boat myself to cross with.......

I was a big Robin Lee Graham fan back in the day is how I ended up with a Bristol 27 (and the $2,000 price tag) after 15 years of racing high tech beach cats with high aspect mains, rudders, daggers boards, technora sails, spinnaker, etc

Plus all the cruisers at our apartment (Pensacola, FL mid 1990's) on the water (we had a dock, $50.00 slip for residents!) mostly were all total characters and most all had old beat to hell full keel boats that still sailed just fine.......with their ancient sails

Interesting! Curious- what about Robin Lee Graham made you get a Bristol 27? He had a Lapworth 24 and Luders 33- I guess your boat splits the difference?

Mike
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 19:31   #409

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I'd be more concerned re whether cruising destinations will be around in 30 years as we continue to struggle to deal with environmental change.

That’s a concern for us as well... plus crime and spiraling costs associated with it.

That being said those thin vacuum infused hulls don’t lend themselves well to getting off hard groundings, or beaches, and surviving with sail away damage.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 19:41   #410

Boat: Grampian, 23

Great videos.

If that's what a sea squall is and those are the common weather patterns I'll see. Lasting an hour to a few hours or a day. That's not nearly as intimidating as what I was imagining. Here I'm picturing the wrath of God with 30 foot waves coming down on you. I'm guessing that's less of a squall and more of a tropical storm.

As for hurricanes I am going to try to plan my voyage as best I can dodging the seasons obviously. In the unfortunate situation one forms beneath me I guess it's heave to and hope it passes under me or above me. If I end up in one I guess I'll be mighty screwed and best do what I can until I can't any longer. Let's pray that doesn't happen.

I think after the length of discussion on here about boats, gear, equipment, mental and physical preparation. The boat at least will be as well prepared as I can make her. The rest will come down to a bit of luck.

I still haven't decided what direction I'll go on getting weather reports. SSB, radio, sat, etc. Seems to be a few options. I have a fundamental understanding of weather patterns and formation. I'm sure given a little instruction I can learn to look at the clouds and get a general idea of what to expect. Whichever route I go I'll have some form of weather report grabbing even if it's the cheapest form. I'll make sure to know how to use it prior to setting out. I believe there's a book and some good articles online on how to learn to read those weather reports and gribs. Looking at it off hand and without context and the small images I can't make much out. Again something I'll need to familiarize myself with prior to the voyage.

I was going to lug a few tools and some of what I consider essential materials. I think I mentioned this in my equipment thread. Some minor repair materials in the event a hole gets punctured in the boat or etc. I've been watching a few videos on at sea repairs. A transom rudder looks difficult to repair in that it's fully submerged. I'm unsure how one would fix that at sea and if it broke off I don't think you're getting it back. Hence I was thinking of carrying a lightweight board of some sort I could fabricate a stern hanging rudder from. Better than nothing. I guess it would make sense to have something to fabricate a ghetto tiller out of. But the likeliness a good condition tiller will break seems slim. Just my thoughts anyways.
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 19:55   #411
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post
Great videos.

If that's what a sea squall is and those are the common weather patterns I'll see. Lasting an hour to a few hours or a day. That's not nearly as intimidating as what I was imagining. Here I'm picturing the wrath of God with 30 foot waves coming down on you. I'm guessing that's less of a squall and more of a tropical storm.

As for hurricanes I am going to try to plan my voyage as best I can dodging the seasons obviously. In the unfortunate situation one forms beneath me I guess it's heave to and hope it passes under me or above me. If I end up in one I guess I'll be mighty screwed and best do what I can until I can't any longer. Let's pray that doesn't happen.

I think after the length of discussion on here about boats, gear, equipment, mental and physical preparation. The boat at least will be as well prepared as I can make her. The rest will come down to a bit of luck.

I still haven't decided what direction I'll go on getting weather reports. SSB, radio, sat, etc. Seems to be a few options. I have a fundamental understanding of weather patterns and formation. I'm sure given a little instruction I can learn to look at the clouds and get a general idea of what to expect. Whichever route I go I'll have some form of weather report grabbing even if it's the cheapest form. I'll make sure to know how to use it prior to setting out. I believe there's a book and some good articles online on how to learn to read those weather reports and gribs. Looking at it off hand and without context and the small images I can't make much out. Again something I'll need to familiarize myself with prior to the voyage.
Here's a link to a few of the best books on weather and storm survival - and they're free.

https://www.setsail.com/free-books/
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 20:00   #412
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Here's a link to a few of the best books on weather and storm survival - and they're free.

https://www.setsail.com/free-books/
you beat me to it I have those in my library and was looking for the link
Old 19-12-2017, 20:18   #413

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Weather fax first and grib file second
Your second example does not look like a grib file to me. It is just a different display of a MSL analysis. A typical grib file will show an area map with wind speed and direction as a minimum, displayed on a grid whose fineness you specify when requesting it. Looks nothing like your example. They can typically be ordered up for any area worldwide and provide forecast conditions for some days in the future.

Jim
Old 19-12-2017, 20:32   #414
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Your second example does not look like a grib file to me. It is just a different display of a MSL analysis. A typical grib file will show an area map with wind speed and direction as a minimum, displayed on a grid whose fineness you specify when requesting it. Looks nothing like your example. They can typically be ordered up for any area worldwide and provide forecast conditions for some days in the future.

Jim
Jim they both show wind speed and wind direction as per the wind barbs on both displays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windbarb_define.png
Views:	71
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	160751  
Old 19-12-2017, 20:39   #415
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

This is what newhaul posted from I think:

Marine Weather
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 20:47   #416
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
This is what newhaul posted from I think:

Marine Weather
yep that's the page but I just did a screen grab sorry should have posted links as well I usually do I'm just asleep at the chart table again
Old 19-12-2017, 21:44   #417

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK, if I look closer I can see wind arrows superimposed on the MSL chart. But, I still don't think the example chart is like what one downloads when at sea. It sure isn't like the ones that I get via Winlink and saildocs, having far more detail, and requiring much larger file size to convey that detail, something not amenable over HF links.

Perhaps I'm missing something here... if there is a better non-internet based method, please explain it.

Jim

PS I'd post a screen shot of a typical winlink grib, but it keeps coming up over 6 Mb, and I don't know how to shrink it to an acceptable size.
Old 19-12-2017, 22:02   #418
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK, if I look closer I can see wind arrows superimposed on the MSL chart. But, I still don't think the example chart is like what one downloads when at sea. It sure isn't like the ones that I get via Winlink and saildocs, having far more detail, and requiring much larger file size to convey that detail, something not amenable over HF links.

Perhaps I'm missing something here... if there is a better non-internet based method, please explain it.

Jim

PS I'd post a screen shot of a typical winlink grib, but it keeps coming up over 6 Mb, and I don't know how to shrink it to an acceptable size.
true they are not as detailed as winlink is however even basic black and white you get what is needed to do a forecast of what you should expect within the next few days where ever you are. That and the mark1 eyeball.
Old 19-12-2017, 22:06   #419
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A smaller downloadable via sat phone would be
PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers
Old 19-12-2017, 22:12   #420

Boat: Hullmaster 27

From the linked page:

It has been designed to superimpose on a chart several weather data like faxes and GRIB files,

If you look closely at the chart it has several maps superimposed: There is a surface analysis fax for the north pacific in red, and also for the central pacific in pink, there is also the 500mb analysis fax in light blue, and the grib data in dark blue.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, offshore