Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2017, 10:36   #151

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Full keel vs fin keel for offshore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
For an example of this, read about Skip Allan's experience in the gale zone offshore of San Francisco. I've sailed with Skip and he is one of the very best sailors I know. But he found himself in conditions where, as a solo sailor, he had to abandon his small boat. I know another bigger / heavier boat (Pacific Seacraft 34) that was doublehanded in that same place and time, and while they had a very rough passage they made it through.

Did the couple on the PSC34 see the exact same conditions as Skip? I don't know. I was there on my boat the previous week, but that was before the gale had fully developed. In any case, there are lessons to be learned.

Skip's story: Abandoning ship: gut-wrenching, perilous, sometimes right
Hair-raising story. 27' race boat in 35' waves. Not fun.

Skip Allen found himself in just those conditions less than 400 miles from his home port of Santa Cruz, sailing in 35 knots of wind with a 39-square-foot storm staysail, towing a 30-foot diameter metal-hooped drogue, and, according to his log, "the cockpit filling every five minutes."

I'm assuming that's a typo and it was a 30" drogue!
Six or seven hours later, in a display of sterling seamanship, the Toronto, in waves so extreme her massive bow bulb rose 20 feet out of the sea, maneuvered alongside of Wildflower, creating a lee that allowed Skip to jump from the deck of his boat to a jacob's ladder hanging down the ship's hull. Safe on board, Skip watched Wildflower "bang and scrape her way down the aft quarter of the ship and disappear under the stern. I watched, but could barely see through my tears."
On some level I think that took more balls than staying on the boat. I think I would have been terrified to the point of paralysis.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 15:44   #152

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Most boats over 25 or 30 years old are near worthless price wise but are still serviceable. Just about all boats are capable of crossing oceans so don't fret too much about that.
Time to join the fray, you guys are having WAY too much fun.
A well cared for and well maintained older boat, with a full keel, can still hold it’s value and turn heads.
And it’s my “personal opinion” this type or style of boat will save you from your own mistakes and or ignorance......that’s why I bought it. We don’t have enough experience yet to deal with keels falling off, ripped off rudders etc. I want to be able to run into or over something and not sink the boat. So slow and heavy works for me until I get more experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3573408-25C2-4B2F-9FD1-0A574E9C22DC.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	160546   Click image for larger version

Name:	66E92509-FEB1-4A3D-9144-0ADAF1FAE1A7.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	160547  

SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 16:01   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
. Most boats over 25 or 30 years old are near worthless price wise but are still serviceable. Just about all boats are capable of crossing oceans so don't fret too much about that.
really I guess you don't look to carefully then. My Spencer is worth well over 50k in today's market. ( only about 30k when built) built in 1966 frp and over 5o years old
My columbia 1963 so also well over 50 and worth more than when new ( yes adjusted for inflation) there are many examples that say you don't know squat about older boats.
Old 14-12-2017, 16:29   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Time to join the fray, you guys are having WAY too much fun.
A well cared for and well maintained older boat, with a full keel, can still hold it’s value and turn heads.
You beat me to it because I also disagree with Mr Macdonalds statement about older boats. They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them and in good condition that will be quite a bit, could even be 50% of the original purchase price.

Pretty boat btw.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 17:14   #155

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
really I guess you don't look to carefully then. My Spencer is worth well over 50k in today's market. ( only about 30k when built) built in 1966 frp and over 5o years old
My columbia 1963 so also well over 50 and worth more than when new ( yes adjusted for inflation) there are many examples that say you don't know squat about older boats.
The marina just chainsawed a couple of old full keelers. Saved the lead to sell for scrap at fifty cents a pound. I guess that more than paid for the dumpster but if you add labor they lost money on it-----never mind getting shafted on the 20 year storage bill. Saw a Columbia 29 on craigs list a while back. It said "free to good home" and he would even through in one year free towing from boat US.
The marina down the street refurbished an old, small Island Packet in 2009. Awlgrip, rigging, sails, diesel rehabbed, new tanks, interior painted and varnished. He decided to use it himself last year since it didn't sell.
Now help me out here, tell me what that "adjusted for inflation" figure might be for yours.
I'm going to tell you a secret but don't tell anyone else. Old boats aren't worth the water they float on in today's market. West coast may be different but since YachtWorld has a 15 or 20 year supply of used boats listed, I doubt it. I was even told by one broker that 80% of the boats listed will never sell.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 17:20   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You beat me to it because I also disagree with Mr Macdonalds statement about older boats. They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them and in good condition that will be quite a bit, could even be 50% of the original purchase price.

Pretty boat btw.
I agree that the old classics look great when refurbished and you might even be able to 25 cents on the dollar for your efforts. 50% of original purchase price is probably less than lead value.
Old 14-12-2017, 17:31   #157
rbk

Boat: T37

Not sure why you guys keep feeding this troll. His head is just going to keep getting bigger an bigger until it can’t fit into his highly prestigious,slightly larger than my bath tub of a boat. Then how will he ever complete his circumnavigation let alone leave the ferocious waters of the Chesapeake.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 17:44   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The marina just chainsawed a couple of old full keelers. Saved the lead to sell for scrap at fifty cents a pound. I guess that more than paid for the dumpster but if you add labor they lost money on it-----never mind getting shafted on the 20 year storage bill. Saw a Columbia 29 on craigs list a while back. It said "free to good home" and he would even through in one year free towing from boat US.
The marina down the street refurbished an old, small Island Packet in 2009. Awlgrip, rigging, sails, diesel rehabbed, new tanks, interior painted and varnished. He decided to use it himself last year since it didn't sell.
Now help me out here, tell me what that "adjusted for inflation" figure might be for yours.
I'm going to tell you a secret but don't tell anyone else. Old boats aren't worth the water they float on in today's market. West coast may be different but since YachtWorld has a 15 or 20 year supply of used boats listed, I doubt it. I was even told by one broker that 80% of the boats listed will never sell.
a matter of marketing just like about 20 years ago when the truck manufacturers decided to tell everyone that you need a diesel engine to pull any kind of a trailer. Truth is gas engines of same or similar displacement will out pull a diesel up a hill from a dead stop. Fin keel boats are cheaper to build so the same thing happens as was done with trucks. If you want to sail you need a fin keel not a full keel. Truth my s 42 will out preform 90% of the similar sized fin keel mono hulls out there in the big blue.

So it all comes down to marketing.
Old 14-12-2017, 17:49   #159

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Not sure why you guys keep feeding this troll. His head is just going to keep getting bigger an bigger until it can’t fit into his highly prestigious,slightly larger than my bath tub of a boat. Then how will he ever complete his circumnavigation let alone leave the ferocious waters of the Chesapeake.
It pretty much happens every time Kmac gets involved.

Folks just react..

Could be that's it as entertaining for them as it is for him.

Sailing is a slow and at times a boring sport unless you are racing beach cats etc which is why some of these threads last so long I'm thinking

Mountain climbing was also mentioned. Now that is a very intense sport. Speaking of life or death. One moment not in total concentration of what you are doing can spell your doom

As far as the Chesapeake Bay, come hang out near the bridge that divides the Chesapeake from the Atlantic Ocean and you will meet ferocious.... especially during a Nor'easter.

Btw, Kmac is 100 miles north of this point of the bay......in totally protected waters

Strong tide:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...=1513303095043

Shipping Channel:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...=1513302824082

Other photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...=1513303378144

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...=1513303029613
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 17:52   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
How long does it take you to varnish every year or did you finally give up on it and let it go like most sensible people? They don't call it a lobor of love for nothing.
Finish my circumnavigation that I never started? Really? You must have seen the pictures of a Tayana with palm trees in the background. Hopefully reality will sink in sooner than later.
Old 14-12-2017, 18:01   #161
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Sailing is a slow and at times a boring sport unless you are racing beach cats etc which is why some of these threads last so long I'm thinking
Or sailing in 35+knot winds in the North Pacific. Having had fin keel boats I much prefer the comfort of a full keel when real wind shows up.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 18:02   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It pretty much happens every time Kmac gets involved.

Folks just react..

Could be that's it as entertaining for them as it is for him.

Mountain climbing was also mentioned. Now that is a very intense sport. Speaking of life or death. One moment not in total concentration of what you are doing can spell your doom

As far as the Chesapeake Bay, come hang out near the bridge that divides the Chesapeake from the Atlantic Ocean and you will meet ferocious.... especially during a Nor'easter.

Btw, Kmac is 100 miles north of this point of the bay......in totally protected waters

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...=1513302824082
I'll stop by in the spring on my way south in the early spring. We can test the speed of your longer water line length against my bathtub.

I don't know why these guys get so upset with my opinions. Then they take on the mob mentality and lose all sense of reality. Whatever floats their boat I suppose.
Old 14-12-2017, 18:04   #163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll stop by in the spring on my way south in the early spring. We can test the speed of your longer water line length against my bathtub.

I don't know why these guys get so upset with my opinions. Then they take on the mob mentality and lose all sense of reality. Whatever floats their boat I suppose.
what make of car will you be driving so I can stay off the sidewalks.
Old 14-12-2017, 18:09   #164

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

I'm not upset. it's very entertaining.

I raced beach cats for many years and have had my fill of that......sailing at 20-25 knots plus to win THE CUP!.

Bring your bathtub on down here when the wind and waves are up and you will wish you had an old, heavy full keel boat like my Bristol instead of your little Capri 22
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 18:13   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
what make of car will you be driving so I can stay off the sidewalks.
Don't worry, I wont run you down, at least until I get a sail in the Spencer.

Tags
keel, offshore