Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 22:43   #1

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american
Finally Did It - A Tosca 36'

I've been lurking around this site for years and dreaming of buying my own cruising sailboat for even longer. Happy to announce that the lurking will continue and the boat dream has become a reality. I present to you my first sailboat - a Tosca 36', center cockpit, built in 1985:

Previous owner is a super nice guy who kept insanely detailed records and built a very informative website about her, if you're interested in all the nitty-gritty.

Since I'm based in Shanghai, China and the boat's in Thailand, I won't be cruising off over the sunset too soon. She does make a nice "2nd home" in one of the prettiest sailing regions in the world. My plan is to head over every 2 months for a week of sailing - long enough to get all the China pollution out of my lungs

Any of you sailing around Phuket, hope to see you soon!
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur 33
Re: Finally Did It - A Tosca 36'

Angelo Lavranos design, yes ?
alanvdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm chomping at the bit for my wife and I to take the plunge (in our case an upgrade to the ocean), but that is still a few years off. Enjoy your journey
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 18:38   #4

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanvdh View Post
Angelo Lavranos design, yes ?
That's correct. The previous owner contacted Angelo to get some details and got this response about the 36:

Quote:
Hello Bernard,

The wetted surface area of the Tosca 36 to DWL, including keel & rudder is 39 sq meters. Please find attached drawings and dimensions. She was written up twice in SA Yachting Magazine, July 1979 and more briefly in May 1987, in case you know somebody with old back numbers, although the information I have given you is everything factual that appeared in the articles.

The Tosca 36 was designed in 1978, the first one launching around 1979. Fourty have been built, most by Fred Scholtz Marine/Tosca Marine in Cape Town. Many were sold as hull & deck units for owner completion, so the standard of finish varies a lot. Some were overequipped (bigger engines, more tankage). A couple had the decks raised (without my agreement).

Four or five were built (out of a second mould), under license from Tosca Marine, by Z Craft at Empangeni, in KwaZulu Natal. I know of at least two having circumnavigated, and many others have gone distance cruising. In later years a "scoop" platform stern was added to the mould, making her a nominal 39 ft.

Some of the later ones have a slightly larger rig. I would characterise the boat as a medium /light cruiser with excellent sailing characteristics in a breeze, particularly tradewind reaching. Conversely the firm sections carry a wetted surface penalty, and being a light boat the rig is of moderate size, making the boat slightly "sticky" in light airs.

I have an IOR rating certificate off the protoype giving a rating of 26.3 ft. This is close to the Old One Ton rating of 27.5 ft. I expect her to sail better than her rating in good breezes (15 knots +) from a fetch to a run. In light airs and hard on the wind the old One Tonners would beat her.

The boat is viceless and pleasant to sail, and they have turned in good passage times. The spaces are good and the boat is well liked by the owners. Please find attached some drawings & details.

Kind Regards,

Angelo

Angelo Lavranos
Lavranos Marine Design

Have been unsuccessful in finding others with the same type of boat. If anyone's out there - say hello!
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 19:13   #5
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

She's beautiful, congrats!
Old 09-10-2013, 19:36   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

She must be in Phucket...Way to go!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
That's correct. The previous owner contacted Angelo to get some details and got this response about the 36:

Have been unsuccessful in finding others with the same type of boat. If anyone's out there - say hello!
Hi American, i am process of purchasing a Tosca 36 in the u.k and looked to find others with same boat.. Would love to hear more about yours.. do you still have it , found any others etc.. have photos/stories etc to share about it.. rgds Russ
russb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 00:06   #8

Boat: Tosca 36

Hello all,
just added my name to the Tosca 36 owners group! Boat located in the Med but have yet to move aboard.

We've been looking at a couple of these vessels over the last two years so very happy that finally it all came together.

American/Bernard, any chance you still have those drawings that were sent?
Talamascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 05:25   #9

Hi all

I am the owner of Tosca 36 located in Portsmouth UK.

Very happy with her, previous owner and builder did great job fitting her out and extended the aft deck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_180132.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	202407
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 07:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, russb, and Talamascin.
Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Oryx.
Congratulations, all.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:49   #11

Hello everyone!! Just purchased a Tosca 36! How do you like the boats? Mine is the only aft cockpit boat built from plywood with glass! Can you post some pics of the deck layout? The previous owner stripped all the hardware off to paint the deck. Any pics/ help would be much appreciated! Thank you john
johnmwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote