Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 01:46   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Downsizing and a Return to the Light ?

Time for a little speculation. I'm seriously thinking about down-sizing my boat, possibly to a Nordhavn 47. On the other hand I may consider a return to the light and get a sail boat.
My last sail boat was an ancient Moody, with very little changed in her sailing systems since she was built. I confess that I'm intimidated by modern sailing rigs, in truth I read some of the questions and I don't even know what the poster is talking about

So, if I were to return to the fold, can anyone recommend a boat that wouldn't require me to take a three month refresher course. Please note, this is in the Monohull section. I'm not interested in a cat, neither am I interested in discussing why I only want a monohull, cats are fine boats but not for me.
The price of a used Nordhavn 47 is listed around $850,000 to give some idea of the price range. Less is GOOD

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 01:59   #2

I should add, The boat should be ocean capable, not have racing antecedents and probably a traditional hull.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 23-08-2010, 07:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I should add, The boat should be ocean capable, not have racing antecedents and probably a traditional hull.

P.
I have to say I'm surprised at how little attention you've attracted, especially when you used the tinderbox phrase "ocean capable". Whatever you do don't say bl** wa*** and mention Hunt**s in the same post!!!

I hope you don't mind if I ask what has made you decide to return to sail?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 09:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Snip ..

I hope you don't mind if I ask what has made you decide to return to sail?
I haven't decided definitely, I have decided that I need a smaller boat. The one I have now is 67ft LOA and requires a lot of my time on maintenance, so much so, that to run the boat takes at least 4 people when she is being used as in more than a coastal capacity. After the contretemps during our last cruise, two of my crew were so frightened by the customs searching the boat from top to bottom, they have decided not to do any more trips. That leaves me with the option of taking on people I don't know or down sizing. The experience with our last unknown crew person is more than I need to convince me I don't want to go down the road of having casual crew, paid or unpaid.

P.
Old 23-08-2010, 09:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Although you didn't post what it is you are having trouble understanding, here are a few of my biases.

I really like the HR 43 or 46. I don't particularly like the in mast furling they promote and I'm not sure that any are available with in boom furling, such as Leisurefurl, (which I prefer) But of course they could be set up with normal old school furling system, like lazy jacks, etc.

But the N47 is a fine boat. I happen to belong to the Nordhavn Dreamers group, but am still mysteriously drawn to sail. Although realistically I don't see being anything but a dreamer in my future and at my age I think the N47 would be easier to singlehand.

The N52 is nice but it has that huge cockpit that seems like such a waste of space to me. And I just drool over the N62. Ah, maybe in the next life.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 14:27   #6
CLOD

Boat: none
Fishwife

People make sailing too hard that's why all the sail stuff sounds hard. Sailing is easy, sailing good might not be but the difference is not all that much most times, and you can read up on it when you are out in the open wondering what you can do to be better trimed. I think the number of boats that could be mentioned is just too long ad I recommend that you just identify your must haves etc.

On the other hand if I was in your position and could do it, I would do the motor cruiser again like you have been doing. Or if you want to split the difference a motorsailer.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 14:43   #7

Valiant 42? You could pocket the difference (little over half a million) and sail the world's oceans for the rest of your life with a decent budget.

I probably sound like a broken record but I'd go sailing on a dinghy or take a basic keel boat class on something in the <25' range (like a J80). You can't screw up a dinghy that bad and although you might feel a little awkward until you get the sailing thing down pat, the feeling of awkwardness in a small boat is more just frustration and curiosity than the abject fear that a big boat can generate.

But a valiant 42 is an amazing boat that can handle anything you can throw at it short of ice breaker duty and tug work. But honestly there are tons of boats that will fit your needs. The valiant is just the top of most people's lists as far as un-arguable as bluewater.

I'd certainly agree that sailing isn't that hard. I mean hell the bumfuzzles pulled it off...
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 15:15   #8

Boat: Bristol 38.8
For 850K you have lots of choices. Here are a few.

1. Late model Amel 53 Ketch. Everything is push button. I've never sailed one, but I've seen the promotional videos.
2. Late model Morris 46. Here's one that even has a leisure furl boom furler (you want this feature-- easy to raise, lower and reef the mainsail) You are talking about fine furniture that also sails beautifully.
2002 Morris Yachts 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
3. My personal choice would be a new Southerly 42 or 46 with a boom furler. The 42 runs under 600K new, but it depends on the strength of the pound vs the dollar. I like the swing keel so that you can sail in thin water and beach the boat. They also point well.

But you wouldn't go wrong with the Hallsberg Rassy or Valiant, either. Any of these boats can easily be handled by two people, especially with a bow thruster.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 15:36   #9

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mate. Why downsize, when you can have a high quality, ocean capable yacht built by the same folks at the Nordhavn's? Take a close look at the Mason's. If you want more detail, I know where you can get a nice 53 that's in excellent shape and ready to take on the next ocean. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 15:38   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
The price of a used Nordhavn 47 is listed around $850,000 to give some idea of the price range. Less is GOOD
Well, for a bit under that you could get a 40 year old 30' Seadog. and VAT paid for a level $800k I will leave the teapot
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 15:54   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Or could stick with the trawler theme...........

2007 Fisher 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 16:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Snip...
I probably sound like a broken record but I'd go sailing on a dinghy or take a basic keel boat class on something in the <25' range (like a J80). You can't screw up a dinghy that bad and although you might feel a little awkward until you get the sailing thing down pat, the feeling of awkwardness in a small boat is more just frustration and curiosity than the abject fear that a big boat can generate. Snip..
Sailing a dinghy is not a problem, I've got one on the deck that I frequently use as our shore boat. until recently intead of the dinghy we had a Hobie 16 that I enjoyed blasting around when the weather was right. I got rid of it because it scared the pants off my crew

I'm researching all the boats mentioned so far and, I've just had a look at the Valiant, nice
Old 23-08-2010, 16:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Or could stick with the trawler theme...........

2007 Fisher 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I used to dream of owning a Fisher, a smaller one than this, when I was growing up around boats. How could I forget them
Old 23-08-2010, 16:15   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
There is some good reading on this site.

RogueWave Yacht Sales - Annapolis, Maryland Blue Water Boats and Yachts
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 16:23   #15

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Hold On a Minute Fish Wife

There must be a reason you currently have a large power boat. The recent disaster you have encountered should be something that will be easier to avoid repeating than dumping your boat and getting a smaller one.

I am convinced that David would be the one who would enjoy the Fischer he has posted. In fact it might take him on a long trip with several stops.

Chin up you will get over the past problem and the next trip will likely be perfect.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote