Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 13:57   #1

Boat: Allied Princess ll, 36'
Ditch Bag

I realize this is not a subject anyone would like to encounter, but planning is always necessary. My husband and I are about to depart on our first cruise. Before departure he has given me the task of getting a ditch bag together. He has already given me the good news, that if I forget something he will toss me out to go get it. So I have come to those who have more expertise then I. Can you please help me with of items that should be put into a ditch bag? Understand, I am starting from nothing so all input is appreciated .
mastotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:05   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Ditch bag

Handheld VHF, handheld GPS, Both capable of operating on AA batteries, Extra AA batteries, Flares, Water bottles, Energy bars, signal mirror, We put our passports in ours when underway, We also keep a PLB in ours as they're cheap and can supplement the epirb.

Others will add more too I am sure.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:18   #3

We found reading 112(115?) Days Adrift written by the Baileys, I think,very useful and gave us a pretty realistic idea of what to expect, we used a very large plastic container designed for home brew like a big huge plastic jar with a lid as we figured it would float and kept it on the deck,and had a knife handy to cut it free,along with the Baileys wish list,I also added a big jar of vaseline to combat salt water sores on a bottom being bounced on a bumpy liferaft, yes, mars bars too, as concentrated energy food and glucose jelly beans, but do try the book it is a bit sobering but I,d rather consider those sort of situations now rather than later. All the best.bluemetalrabbit
bluemetalrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:18   #4

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Seasickness meds, first-aid kit, SPF 50 sunscreen. 46" Hi-def flat panel TV. :-)
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:21   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Here's what's in our bag:

___ Knife
___ Handheld VHF Radio
___ Water
___ Flares, smoke, dye
___ Flashlight
___ Hand-bearing compass
___ Handheld GPS
___ Seasickness tablets
___ Signal mirror
___ Energy bars
___ Sponges (one fresh water / one salt water)
___ Mylar Emergency Blankets
___ Sun Screen
___ Capstick / Carmex
___ Hard Candies
___ Paper / Pencil / Sharpie
___ Scissors (paramedic style – cuts anything)
___ Basic Fishing kit (size of cigarette pack)
___ Aluminum Foil (radar reflector)
___ Extra Zip Lock bags
___ Extra AAA batteries
___ Extra cord (small stuff / 550 Paracord)
___ Hard Water Bottle
___ Chemical Light Sticks

I bought a bag made for EMS personnel. It has two large side pockets and one large center compartment.

They say the new standard in rescue is to have the Sat Phone in one hand and the GPS in the other!
pwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ditch bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Handheld VHF, handheld GPS, Both capable of operating on AA batteries, Extra AA batteries, Flares, Water bottles, Energy bars, signal mirror, We put our passports in ours when underway, We also keep a PLB in ours as they're cheap and can supplement the epirb.

Others will add more too I am sure.
A couple or four of those foil survival blankets... take no space and real lightweight... and if your a live aboard with no fixed abode.. your insurance doc's...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:26   #7
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

First of all I am a beginner but I do have some book knowledge and I did just do the Caribbean 1500 Nov 2011.
First you need to know what is in your life raft so you will know what you need to have in a ditch bag to suppliment your life raft.
Another good suggestion is to look at preparations for something like the Carib 1500 I will try to attach but I do not know if I know how.
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:28   #8
RDW

it said it up loaded. I can not tell
rdw
Old 10-02-2012, 14:33   #9
RDW

I failed
Contact World Wide Cruising and see if they will send you a copy of teh skipper's handbook for the Carib 1500.
It was good.
RDW
Old 10-02-2012, 14:53   #10

Don't forget prescriptions and replace them each year.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:55   #11

Boat: Allied Princess ll, 36'
Thanks for the input. I will start getting this together and see what comes up.
mastotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 15:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ditch bag

And if your liferafts your dinghy have a decent grab bag...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:44   #13

I wouldn't be caught at sea without a handheld watermaker. They're useful in non emergency situations, so it's not just something that'll sit rotting away. Anytime you've got a questionable water scenario, you'll be glad you had it. They aren't cheap, but are worth their weight in gold when needed imo.

Katadyn Survivor Watermaker 06 Manual
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
I wouldn't be caught at sea without a handheld watermaker. They're useful in non emergency situations, so it's not just something that'll sit rotting away. Anytime you've got a questionable water scenario, you'll be glad you had it. They aren't cheap, but are worth their weight in gold when needed imo.

Katadyn Survivor Watermaker 06 Manual
Hmmmm. have you actually tried to use it? I had one for years, you need to pickle them often. It would help if you're in the raft, (if you still have lots of energy) but other than that...pretty much useless the amount of water they put out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:33   #15

Boat: hunter 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemetalrabbit View Post
We found reading 112(115?) Days Adrift written by the Baileys, I think,very useful and gave us a pretty realistic idea of what to expect, we used a very large plastic container designed for home brew like a big huge plastic jar with a lid as we figured it would float and kept it on the deck,and had a knife handy to cut it free,along with the Baileys wish list,I also added a big jar of vaseline to combat salt water sores on a bottom being bounced on a bumpy liferaft, yes, mars bars too, as concentrated energy food and glucose jelly beans, but do try the book it is a bit sobering but I,d rather consider those sort of situations now rather than later. All the best.bluemetalrabbit
117 days adrift
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote