Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2009, 11:02   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Converting the Cockpit into a Bed

Hi all,

I have been thinking of ways to convert my cockpit into a big bed for sleeping outside on nice nights. I originally thought about using slats across the cockpit as you would a slat bed. However I was given the idea of putting in a second cockpit floor which can be raised and secured to make the center section of the bed. This would require no storage and would seem to be quick and easy to assemble. Anybody have any thoughts on this setup or any other ideas?

cheers,
hank
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Hank;

I have had the same thoughts as well. We already have a three teak cockpit grates, so I would just need to figure out a way to raise and stabilize them. The trouble for us is that the water and fuel tanks are underneath the cockpit sole. So only legs would be feasable.

Another thought, a bit of a dream, would be to have a PVC high pressure air mattress made up, to fit over the cockpit, floor, seats and all.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 12:24   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
On my first boat I killed two birds with one stone by fabricating a cockpit table which perfectly filled the space between the cockpit seats in much the same way many interior dinette table tops lower to change the dinette into a bed.

In actuality, mine had two leaves that folded down in the table position when not in use and it didn't actually lower for a bed, but was detached and spun 90 degrees so that the three pieces spanned the cockpit joined by the hinges.

I also thought of making one that lowered straight down, but also hinges, so it's not always a full table. Fiddles mounted to the bottom could be spun 90 degrees in the bed position to support joints where each side leaf folds.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 16:39   #4

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Easiest way I've seen to convert a cockpit to a bed involves the administration of copious rum and cokes.
Old 24-07-2009, 19:33   #5

He He,
I was going to say a twelve pack works for me! Hmmm rum and coke! I will be signing off now!!
thelocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 21:05   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
ok ,the rum and cokes work, but man... a head ache AND a back ache in the morning. What masochists you are!

How about installing a wood cleat around the part of the cockpit that the platform needs to be supported? Won't interfere with anything under the sole of the cockpit, and I don't think the wood rails along the edge of the cockpit seats would bother anyone sitting. The platform could be a table or a deck grid or planks that stow in an out of the way place. Then arange the cockpit bench cushions to make the mattress?

Might work....

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 21:21   #7

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
ok ,the rum and cokes work, but man... a head ache AND a back ache in the morning. What masochists you are!

How about installing a wood cleat around the part of the cockpit that the platform needs to be supported? Won't interfere with anything under the sole of the cockpit, and I don't think the wood rails along the edge of the cockpit seats would bother anyone sitting. The platform could be a table or a deck grid or planks that stow in an out of the way place. Then arange the cockpit bench cushions to make the mattress?

Might work....
I was thinking the same thing Sara. Putting a wood rail along the edge of the cockpit seats seems to be the best way to secure the bed. If the table is made out of teak grating, legs might be able to be tucked underneath, allowing it to be elevated to table height.

Dave, many places can be converted into sleeping quarters with the influence of Captain Morgan or one of his buddies!!
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed