Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2024, 10:31   #46

Re: Contest 50CS or Oyster565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volador View Post
What a great plan you have, keep at it!
Thank you and it's not going to be a simple and straightforward decision, which yacht to go for. Irrespective, it's in the end all about the journey and no matter what yacht I will do by sailing adventure, it will be for a life time memory!
Amouage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 11:08   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amouage View Post
The Contest has a centre rudder (so well protected by the keel) and the Oyster has a twin rudder system (meaning less protection against debris whilst on the Ocean.

Both rudder systems are behind a watertight bulkhead.
I mean the keel, not the rudder. I think I remember the Contest had a wing keel.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 11:22   #48

Contest used to have Wing keels in the past, however the new generation comes with a fin keel with bulb. Same as for the Oyster.

Kraken has this ZERO keel concept, which is closer to a traditional full keel idea.
Old 25-02-2024, 19:25   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Contest used to have Wing keels in the past, however the new generation comes with a fin keel with bulb. Same as for the Oyster.

Kraken has this ZERO keel concept, which is closer to a traditional full keel idea.
Good because those wing keels were bad (can’t be pulled off a shallow when grounded)

Old 26-02-2024, 03:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Good because those wing keels were bad (can’t be pulled off a shallow when grounded)
Well you don't need a ketch anchor in that case!
Old 02-03-2024, 11:19   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . Kraken has this ZERO keel concept, which is closer to a traditional full keel idea.

This will be a tremendous disadvantage for sailing performance.

If you don't care -- you motor upwind, motorsail in light winds, etc. -- this might not be a problem.

For me, it would be a fatal flaw.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:44   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Indeed. Maybe should be called keel/anchors.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:53   #53
JPK

Quote:
The Contest has a centre rudder (so well protected by the keel) and the Oyster has a twin rudder system (meaning less protection against debris whilst on the Ocean.

Both rudder systems are behind a watertight bulkhead.
A single rudder in line with the keel might be more protected in some situations but maybe not all. I could see arguments for and against both configurations. The Oyster has fully redundant steering mechanisms for both rudders, so even in the event where you lost one rudder completely you'd still have steering. Making (overly?) broad generalizations based on the boats I've sailed (noting that I've not sailed either a Contest or an Oyster), I'd say that twin rudder boats sail more nicely, while single rudder boats are far easier to maneuver in the marina. For me personally, I don't think this would be a criteria to choose one boat over another.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 19:12   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If maneuvering using the engine is a wanted feature then the propeller(s) need(s) to be in front of the rudder(s). So two rudders = two propellers.

My draft is 6’2” which, for a fin keel on a 64’ boat is very little. This is compensated by the single rudder which is 6’ deep. That’s very deep… enough to worry about boats dropping their anchor in my swing circle in shallow anchorages as my rudder may hit their chain.

That said, the lower third of the rudder is engineered to be sacrificial, i.e. it has an engineered weak point so it can break off without damaging/disabling the upper two thirds of the rudder still working.
Also, the large rudder is fantastic for maneuvering as the prop is right in front of it and the combination can act as side thrusters. I can turn on the spot without a bow thruster.

Old 10-03-2024, 01:57   #55

Boat: Amel 50

Well in 2021 Iw as at your place. I looked for Contest/Oyster/Amel/HR.
First I gave up Oyster as it looks more like boat for shows than for sailing, next I deleted HR as interior, even with light colors, looks very old fashioned and HR50 was just started to exist on market so was not checked so much. Left Contest and Amel. Contest interior finished on higher level but looks for much easier to be destroyed in high seas. Amel 50 has so far constructed more than 90 hulls so much more experience and haas already issued upgraded hulls so looks that less problems in future. Helm station is perfectly sheltered so you sail in rain, wind etc. not suffering. So Mostly all the other equipment which is mounted on all these boats comes from suppliers so hard to compare it. But A50 construction of aft lazaret gives enormous space for all equipment. Downwind set up is well known for this brand and gives stable sailing. Finally I decided for Amel. After one year of sailing and 4500 miles still happy. Aftersale service was so far perfect and hope be this same in future.
Regarding Discovery 55 I looked for this boat but rumors about liquidation stopped me even I visited their 48-49 footer. Still if shipyard exists you have good address to ask for help even after many years.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 04:31   #56

With regard to twin or single rudders. A guy we met in Antigua had just sailed a Dicovery 54 across the pond. The last week of the trip was breezy with gusts to 45kts regularly and 5 metre seas. The twin rudders couldn't cope with the conditions. As soon as the boat set off surfing, it would round up. The rudders were not long enough to maintain grip on the water. This doesn't happen in calmer conditions but it was a real and constant issue in larger following seas.
There is good reason why Imocas have very long rudders.
For cruising, I would be much happier with a deep fin and rudder combination where the rudder is protected. In addition, a 35 tonne boat would need bow and stern thrusters to provide sufficient control for docking with twin rudders. I was recently sailing on a 72ft racer cruiser with no stern thruster but twin rudders. Control at low speed for docking was a real issue.
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 11:23   #57

With regards to single or twin rudders, its a choice I have to make when it comes to the new yacht. Steering under power is not as critical as either on the Contest or the Oyster, I will opt for both bow and stern thrusters and even with that sailing boats are simply not designed to steer well under power.

I have no prior experience with twin rudder boats, all I hear is that they are light(er) at the helm - and as usually - always in near to perfect conditions. Contest has a youtube video of their new 49CS with single rudder in 25-30 knots of breeze....that's more representative than 15 knots in the Med.

I believe that a single rudder is more protected, however having said that if you hit for instance a sea container, how will this impact the aft of the ship? In case you run aground, most likely the keel will first hit the reef or rocks. If you turn in shallow water both twin and single rudders are exposed.

What is important to me is that the rudder shaft is behind a watertight bulkhead, so in case of a damaged rudder shaft you are protected.

I can see why Amel is a popular yacht, but for whatever reason it does not convince me. Same I have with Hylas. Nice and practical layouts though. Somehow, I fancy a big lazarette as when bluewater cruising its nice to have an "outside" wet storage area.
Old 10-03-2024, 14:15   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
With regards to single or twin rudders, its a choice I have to make when it comes to the new yacht. Steering under power is not as critical as either on the Contest or the Oyster, I will opt for both bow and stern thrusters and even with that sailing boats are simply not designed to steer well under power.

I have no prior experience with twin rudder boats, all I hear is that they are light(er) at the helm - and as usually - always in near to perfect conditions. Contest has a youtube video of their new 49CS with single rudder in 25-30 knots of breeze....that's more representative than 15 knots in the Med.

I believe that a single rudder is more protected, however having said that if you hit for instance a sea container, how will this impact the aft of the ship? In case you run aground, most likely the keel will first hit the reef or rocks. If you turn in shallow water both twin and single rudders are exposed.

What is important to me is that the rudder shaft is behind a watertight bulkhead, so in case of a damaged rudder shaft you are protected.

I can see why Amel is a popular yacht, but for whatever reason it does not convince me. Same I have with Hylas. Nice and practical layouts though. Somehow, I fancy a big lazarette as when bluewater cruising its nice to have an "outside" wet storage area.
Stern and bow thrusters?! I see, you wouldn’t like my boat as I have neither with 64’ waterline… and a design optimized for perfect handling and steering under power. Maybe crazy, but it doesn’t require any thrusters!

Tags
oyster